Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Posting Pictures

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Posting Pictures
Reply #60 on: October 25, 2015, 08:13:05 PM
They should be perfectly fine  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #61 on: October 26, 2015, 10:40:44 AM
The picture size issue only applies to them being attached to the forum.   Embedding them in a post from Photo bucket or somewhere else is not an issue since they aren't taking up space on my server.

As for embedded photos being too large to easily view on the forum,  or software automatically resizes them for optimal viewing, so no issues at all with stuff from Photo bucket or other sources.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sheradin

• Penn's Woods
Reply #62 on: October 26, 2015, 12:32:30 PM
Awesome. Thanks!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #63 on: July 08, 2016, 06:50:57 PM
The picture size issue only applies to them being attached to the forum.   Embedding them in a post from Photo bucket or somewhere else is not an issue since they aren't taking up space on my server.

As for embedded photos being too large to easily view on the forum,  or software automatically resizes them for optimal viewing, so no issues at all with stuff from Photo bucket or other sources.

Def
This is apparently no longer true, for what it's worth.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #64 on: July 09, 2016, 12:10:46 AM
Micah is still tinkering. ...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #65 on: July 10, 2016, 05:02:26 AM
Maybe he should be Super Tinkering.

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: July 10, 2016, 05:27:34 AM
Maybe he should be Super Tinkering.

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #67 on: July 17, 2016, 02:58:46 AM
Sorry to complain, but I wish that you could zoom into attached pictures on mobile. I think you used to be able to do this because clicking the attachment would just open the picture up in the browser. Now it's a JavaScript "window" that shows the picture, and zooming in does nothing (the picture gets bigger for a split second, then gets scaled down again). At least in Firefox on Android that's what happens. I'm not sure if this is a new picture display thing or a new theme thing, but it's something I used to do on occasion that isn't as friendly anymore.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: July 17, 2016, 12:21:19 PM
I apologize if this has been discussed before (I searched for this and found similar questions but not exactly this one).

Isn't it possible to implement an automatic resize feature? I mean, since the max single file size is 1024KB anyway, the system can resize the pics to this size automatically and/or optionally based on user's choice during posting. I don't claim to be a coder but I'd like to give a hand if needed (searching for any plugins/add-ons, configuration etc).

I'm mostly a desktop user and am capable of resizing already, but this adds a lot of additional steps (transferring the photo from my phone to the PC, saving it to a temporary space, firing up the resize tool, saving the resized version and uploading to the site) which kinda -uhm- "unnice" :)  :waving:

00 Offline Spey

Reply #69 on: July 27, 2016, 05:49:52 AM
I have had issues with the site not accepting attachment photos (uploads to Multitool.org Forum - previously resized below the 1024kb threshold, per the guidelines listed).

I am wondering if there is a way to use embed codes from Instagram photos ??

I have tried using the both the url][/url and img][/img with the url (embed code) options to no positive results.

I would also agree with ddogu (issues referenced that he has had, I have also). Auto resizing upon upload is a tool that works well on other sites I have used. I do my best to try and make sure that photos I post will be available into the future, as many times the photos related to a tutorial or something that may be viewed into the future. Hosting photos offsite, with only links to the photos, get broken when a user chooses to reorganize their photos into newly developed organizational folders. I really dosen't seem to work for a user to just keep one large mass folder with all upload photos, because various sites require differing photo size restrictions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:02:48 AM by Spey »
No Honey, that's always been in the safe ...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #70 on: July 27, 2016, 11:21:50 PM
Just post them as ...

Code: [Select]
[img]www.hostingsite.com/imagename.jpg[/img]
or click the icon in the reply window and paste the image address there.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #71 on: August 07, 2016, 11:37:45 PM
I can't get Flickr to work for some reason. My links are the same as others I've checked but my pics don't show.  Any ideas?

It opens fine in a new tab but doesn't show in posts

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:38:59 PM by Kevin Davey »

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #72 on: August 07, 2016, 11:43:27 PM
I can't get Flickr to work for some reason. My links are the same as others I've checked but my pics don't show.  Any ideas?

It opens fine in a new tab but doesn't show in posts

(Image removed from quote.)

Try to get the actual picture URL.
I think that's your problem.

(I found this off the net. No clue who it is!)
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/2/1418878_1e92283336_m.jpg
Is

The link ends in jpg.

The one you are posting doesn't. I think Flickr may be making it more difficult to do this.

BUT!
If you click to download the photo and go to view all sizes you go here on your Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/142788496@N06/28216020654/sizes/l
And then you can right click these and get your image addresses which DO work.

Taaa daa!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:45:25 PM by Megan »
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #73 on: August 08, 2016, 12:16:28 AM
Thank you  :tu:

Now I just need to figure out how I do that on my phone and tablet as that is what I use 99% of the time to access the forum.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #74 on: August 08, 2016, 09:37:04 AM

Now I just need to figure out how I do that on my phone and tablet as that is what I use 99% of the time to access the forum.

You need to get to the share photo info -  a little arrow bottom right of the photo page.  Click that, then BBCode, then choose the image size you want and copy the text in the box and paste into the post here.  This info isn't available on the mobile version of the site, and I can't get the desktop site on my phone at all, but I can force it on my tablet.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #75 on: August 08, 2016, 01:54:18 PM

You need to get to the share photo info -  a little arrow bottom right of the photo page.  Click that, then BBCode, then choose the image size you want and copy the text in the box and paste into the post here.  This info isn't available on the mobile version of the site, and I can't get the desktop site on my phone at all, but I can force it on my tablet.

Thank you, I'll try that on my tablet tonight.  I've just figured out how to do what Megan said on the mobile site. I just can't do it from the app which is a bit disappointing. There's no easy way from google photo's either.

de Offline Josh613

Reply #76 on: September 28, 2016, 08:16:38 PM
Just about to head out for a few beers, but how do I post photos from my iPhone and iPad? Sorry if it's been posted just don't have time to look. Is there a way u can post them directly?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: September 29, 2016, 12:56:24 AM
Just about to head out for a few beers, but how do I post photos from my iPhone and iPad? Sorry if it's been posted just don't have time to look. Is there a way u can post them directly?

Yeah, under where you type your post is attachments and other options, browse to the pic and attach it.

Due to restrictions you may need to reduce the pic KB size down before attaching and viewing is best in the 1000px by 1000px range.

gb Offline RicHT

Reply #78 on: February 23, 2019, 11:17:09 PM
Could someone please tell me how to add photos in a PM please? It doesn't seem to have the 'attachments and other options' bit showing on a PM, like it does when you reply to a post normally(?). Thanks very much. :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #79 on: February 24, 2019, 02:20:55 PM
Could someone please tell me how to add photos in a PM please? It doesn't seem to have the 'attachments and other options' bit showing on a PM, like it does when you reply to a post normally(?). Thanks very much. :cheers:

I just put my imgur link in them, or the default image uploading website that you use to upload to the forum  :dunno:
Just like if you were posting a pic on a thread
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: February 26, 2019, 08:40:54 PM
 :iagree:

There is no attachment on PM. You have to use a photo host like imgur or if the photo is on a website you can right click > save image address > paste and use the insert image tags

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: May 07, 2019, 09:57:44 AM
Hi, all.

I had been posting with a few photo attachment, and am wondering is there anyway to preview the entire post with photo in it, before I hit 'post'?

I tried 'preview' and 'alt-p', both only gave me the view of the post without the attached photo.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #82 on: May 07, 2019, 10:20:21 AM
Hi, all.

I had been posting with a few photo attachment, and am wondering is there anyway to preview the entire post with photo in it, before I hit 'post'?

I tried 'preview' and 'alt-p', both only gave me the view of the post without the attached photo.
As far as I know, if the attached photos are not embedded in the post, they wont show up in the preview.
The photo below is not showing up in my preview, because it's not IN the post.
burst201902051834095_o5Xxk.jpg
* burst201902051834095_o5Xxk.jpg (Filesize: 71.99 KB)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: May 07, 2019, 11:47:31 AM
As far as I know, if the attached photos are not embedded in the post, they wont show up in the preview.
The photo below is not showing up in my preview, because it's not IN the post.

Thanks DP for the clarification!  :cheers:

Just hope it could be seen, so it's easier to make a longer post with photo. :think:

I remember long ago everything has to be embedded, but seeing we now have the option to keep it on our own server, I kinda prefer this--so the pix will forever kept here, in case other hosting service go out of business.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #84 on: May 07, 2019, 01:12:01 PM
I remember long ago everything has to be embedded, but seeing we now have the option to keep it on our own server, I kinda prefer this--so the pix will forever kept here, in case other hosting service go out of business.
If you get an account with MTO Gallery >>>>  you can host your multitool photos there, because if they go out of business then there will also be no forum to post them on.  :D
I really only need photo hosting for this forum so it works great for me.  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: May 07, 2019, 09:14:55 PM
If you get an account with MTO Gallery >>>>  you can host your multitool photos there, because if they go out of business then there will also be no forum to post them on.  :D
I really only need photo hosting for this forum so it works great for me.  :tu:

Ahh...now I see what that's for.  Thank you!  I gotta check that out!  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #86 on: May 07, 2019, 10:12:48 PM
You just need to ask Grant or Whoey (I think) for an account as it is separate from the main site and you can't log in with your MTO account.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: May 07, 2019, 11:04:20 PM
You just need to ask Grant or Whoey (I think) for an account as it is separate from the main site and you can't log in with your MTO account.

Is that something a regular member can apply?  Don't wanna trouble the admin since they probably are busy enough :ahhh

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: June 01, 2019, 05:11:42 AM
Folks, I've been using the Forum attachment to upload photo, but I think for something non-tool essential or viewing pleasure, I'd love to upload with bigger actual image, instead of a shrinked thumb nail to an image(no one clicks on thumb nail anyway )

I tried Imgur many times, and no matter what I do, using forum code or "insert image" function in the "post reply", I still can't get it up.  I tried preview or even actual posting, but nothing shows...How do you guys do it? :think:   Please help?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 05:28:53 AM by comis »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #89 on: June 01, 2019, 06:02:12 AM
I'm not familiar with imgur, but is there an option to copy the 'code' of each picture? Paste this code into your forum message.
I'm not sure which is best to use, HTML Code, BB Code, URL etc but when I post from the MTO Gallery I choose BB Code then I think this option:

Picture Codes 2.JPG
* Picture Codes 2.JPG (Filesize: 68.04 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%