Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I am a very lucky man.

Chako · 120 · 9316

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I am a very lucky man.
on: September 29, 2010, 09:56:58 PM
Sunday was such a beautiful day, that I took my motorcycle out for a ride about the city and its surroundings. Well at around 3:30PM, I was heading home…and I didn’t make it.

You see, I was driving on the outside lane of a 4 lane road, down a hill. The hill afforded a nice long view. Off in the distance, I could see the full flash of an ambulance moving towards us on the inside lane. I slowed down. Two vehicles on the inside lane in front of me put their turn signals and got into my lane. No problems as I wasn’t going very fast and was expecting them.

What I wasn’t expecting was the accident that soon followed. All I remember was a loud bang, a screech, and I couldn’t breathe and I tried to get 4 breaths of air…and blessed calm and peace. I swear, I was bathed in a nice warm calming light. I am not religious or anything…but this is what happened. Then I heard a voice that said it wasn’t time. I awoke to a bunch of Paramedics and firemen on their knees above me. I recall momentarily feeling great regret at the loss of that wonderful dream, followed by confusion and shock that I was in an accident. The first thing that came out of my mouth was “how is the bike”. One of the firefighters told me it was in great condition. I moved my head to see it lying about 30 feet off of my right shoulder. I figured he was lying to me to make me feel better.  

They took off my motorcycle jacket, helmet, gloves, and cut off the T-Shirt. The ride in the ambulance was very painful. I was in Trauma for 7 hours, 6 of which was of me begging for them to give me a drink of water and to take off the neck collar that didn’t fit and was doing me more pain than anything else. The doctor came in after 3 hours in there and told me he would take the neck brace off, but it was on for an extra 3 hours. And yes, being x-rayed, cat scanned, and MRIed in air conditioned rooms on a freezing board nude is not fun.

I was admitted to floor 6 and was informed that I was exceedingly lucky. I suffered 3 to 4 broken ribs on my left side, road rash on both my knees and right side belly, plenty of scrapes and bruises…and that is it.

One of the firefighters I saw over me while I was looking up on my back in the middle of the road is a very close friend of mine. His wife lied and told the hospital she was my girlfriend in order to talk to me by phone in Emergency. She informed me that he found out that I was clipped by the car next to me, that there were plenty of witnesses, and that charges are pending. I was also told that I flew over my handlebars.

Now the best part…

The hiking boot on my left foot completely lost its sole. I tore it right off…with no damage to the foot inside. My motorcycle jacket shows little to no damage. My jeans are torn in the ass, but no damage there. My knees look good, but that is where I got the road rash. My new helmet that I bought the day before did the job nicely. It was on of those helmets that protects the ears. Scrape marks on the lower ear portion. No telling what my ears would look like if I was wearing my shorter helmet. The Triumph has minimal scratches. The front fender took the worst, with some scratches to the lower part of my windshield and to one of the new saddlebags. That is it. I could not believe it. My friend drove the bike from the impound lot the day before. I was sure it was a write off.

So here I sit, back home after spending 3 days in the hospital, with cracked ribs that really are painful. They don’t even wrap them anymore. I guess I am now off work for a minimum of 4 weeks now. I got lucky, real lucky.  Now here is where I wish I was married or had a girlfriend. I am not looking forward at taking care of myself with limited mobility for the next coming weeks. So all of you who moan at your better half’s….just be thinking about me suffering on my own.

I got plenty of new items that came in...but am in no shape to take photos. Heck, even typing this up is taxing right now.  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:13:48 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: I am a very lucky man.
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:00:16 PM
That's quite a story! Wow...
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Agent X68

• "My blackberry's not working" (see sig for video)
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:02:30 PM
I agree, quite a story.
I am glad to hear you are okay, it is very lucky you weren't injured worse.
Make a tool idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot. Also, Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
:)  See my personal text: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:03:06 PM
Glad you're OK man!  That was a close one...
- Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:05:33 PM
Good to know you are still with us buddy!

Cracked ribs are a pain- literally, and there really isn't much they can do for them  Taping them was always a band aid solution in my mind and I'm glad the rest of the world has finally come around to my way of thinking!

And, the great thing is, you'll be all right, with only a few small scars to show for it.  The protective gear did it's job, and by the sounds of it, you should be ready to go again in the spring!

Good thing there were witnesses, or the fact that you are a new cyclist would have probably worked against you, and insurance usually leaves bigger marks on you than the road surface.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:06:57 PM
Bloody hell  :o

Glad you are still with us!
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:15:56 PM
 :o  Dude!

I hope you kick the car drivers arse all over court  :twak:

Sorry you're feeling crappy right now but as you know, it could have been so much worse. You are a great advert for wearing the right gear  :salute:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16:18 PM
Whoa buddy..  :o
I'm glad you're still with us and hopefully you'll heal quick.. :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:19:23 PM
Yes, very happy to be home and alive. Something else I thought was of interest; I had just bought a new pair of glasses this past August. Well the lenses are wrecked, but the frames are still brand spanking new...go figure.

Well the ribs just plain suck. I have about 80 percent mobility right now. Thankfully, it never hurt to breath, but I can see stars if I twist my upper body in any direction. The act of sitting down and getting up is a new definition of pain and suffering for me. However, once seated, or standing, I can minimize my pain to almost nothing.

EDIT: My mistake...not cracked but broken. I can feel them move inside at times.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:27:53 PM by Chako »

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:33:05 PM
Dude! Glad to hear that you are OK.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:37:40 PM
Ouch, that's one of the reasons I backed out of plan to get a bike, too many retard drivers on the road, at least my jeep gives me some protection and visibility.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:46 PM
Damn!  :o
I'm back!!

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 11:00:43 PM
 :o

pleased to hear your alive and okay

hope the recovery goes well

I

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 11:31:16 PM
You are lucky!  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Maybe your luck will continue and a nice nurse will move in next door to you. :)
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline specgrade

Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 11:43:49 PM
 What do you make of the "It's not your time" you heard? Not trying to be a smart ass I just find that kind of stuff interesting. Has it changed how you view life at all? I'm far from religious mind you but I think something like that just might make me feel differently.

Hope you get to feeling better, damn that sucks.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 11:47:03 PM
I'm glad you're ok, take it easy until you heel and keep us posted as to your recovery.  My advice to you is: get some rest  :pok:  :D
SAW

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:40 PM
Good to hear you're okay, scary thing accidents on bikes.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:49 PM
Very glad you're still with us mate. :salute:  I've had cracked ribs before but not nearly as bad as you are describing, my sympathies. :-\

At least they know what happened and the got the stupid arse who caused it. >:(
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:51:37 PM
Tuff break, but its good it is not any worse than that. :-\

ca Offline gunga

Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 11:52:57 PM
I hope you get well soon man, that is a harsh accident, glad everything turned out "well".

:drink:

us Offline sawman

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 11:54:18 PM
Tuff break, but its good it is not any worse than that. :-\

Yep, in an ambulance, he's got a chance; in a hearse, got to be worse  :rofl:
SAW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 12:02:26 AM
Specgrade...not sure what to make of it myself. I hear of this happening to others...and never in a million years would think I would have a similar experience. What I can tell you is I fell on my back, knocked the wind out of me and possibly 3 or 4 ribs. I tried to breathe 4 times with my eyes closed...must have passed out. Dreamt of a warm peaceful environment with bright sunshine, and a voice told me it wasn't my time. I then woke up to see a buch of EMT and firefighters bent over me telling me not to move my head and such. 

As a rational science teacher, I think my mind went to a happy place in protection mode. But who knows.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:06:32 AM by Chako »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 12:05:00 AM
Specgrade...not sure what to make of it myself. I hear of this happening to others...and never in a million years would think I would have a similar experience. What I can tell you is I fell on my back, knocked the wind out of me and possibly 3 or 4 ribs. I tried to breathe 4 times with my eyes closed...must have passed out. Dreamt of a warm peaceful environment with bright sunshine, and a voice told me it wasn't my time. I then woke up to see a much of EMT and firefighters bent over me telling me not to move my head and such. 

As a rational science teacher, I think my mind went to a happy place in protection mode. But who knows.

I've read stuff about the same kind of thing happening to people going through high G-Forces training.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 01:19:38 AM
Whoa!

All The Gear, All The Time!  Glad you're ok (relatively).  The other driver's insurance can return to the bike to Like New condition, Replace ALL the gear you were wearing and cover all of your rehab.

Dang! That just sucks.  >:(

Heal fast.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 01:29:52 AM
I'm so glad to hear you're OK. Will definitely send lots of prayers for you.  :tu: :tu: :tu:
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 01:30:14 AM
Speaking of insurance, good thing you aren't in quebec or you'd have to get your insurance company to pay for it, and stuck with increased premium next year, while the other driver gets off without paying a cent.  ::)

us Offline sawman

Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 01:33:49 AM
Speaking of insurance, good thing you aren't in quebec or you'd have to get your insurance company to pay for it, and stuck with increased premium next year, while the other driver gets off without paying a cent.  ::)
:rant:   :bnghd:  :crash:
SAW

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 06:38:30 AM
Good to hear that your doing better,and next spring like someone already noted,you can get back on the horse and ride again.

Last spring my oldest son was t-boned by a drunk driver,had 5 broken ribs,punctured lung,blood on the brain,upper left arm broken,lower left arm smashed,has three metal plates in his left arm now,cracked pelvis,and broken left foot with a metal pin in it,3 months in the hospital,and six months in recovery,but today you would never know anything that bad ever happened.

Just trying to say you are one lucky man,and glad to have you back with us.

:cheers:& :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 07:07:37 AM
Hate to say it, but your a proper biker now :-\

Glad your ok mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 09:17:47 AM
Hells Bells Chako  :o :o :o.
Glade you are still with us mate  :tu: :tu:.
Take it easy & mend fast mate.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56