Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Photo of an amputation using a Leatherman.

br Offline Macário70x7

Photo of an amputation using a Leatherman.
on: September 30, 2010, 12:24:37 AM
I found this article and would like to share with you:

Burma - Trauma    

Eastern Burma is the most heavily mined area in the world, with approximately 1500 landmine casualties annually, accounting for 5% of deaths. 1 in 1000 residents will experience a landmine injury this year and at least half of these victims will die within the first few hours, before they can reach care. In a small Nonviolence International survey in Karen State in 2003, 80 percent of respondents reported feeling threatened every day by landmines and half had unexpectedly entered mined areas. Villagers also report "atrocity demining" whereby the Burmese Army forces locals to walk in front of soldiers as human minesweepers, often as porters and sometimes dragging a heavy log across the path. Landmines in these areas usually require only 6 kilograms of pressure to be triggered, ensuring that even a child or animal can cause an explosion. Child victims are more likely to die from their injuries as a result of their vital organs' closer proximity to mines and their inability to survive resulting blood loss. For the adults and children that survive the initial blast, rapid access to care is critical. Injuries are severe-- approximately 1 in 3 survivors requires amputation.

GHAP has been providing training in landmine injury management and material support to local health workers who treat approximately 150 landmine victims each year. For several years, GHAP has procured surgical instruments, anesthetics and other supplies, and provided surgical training to over 45 health workers. GHAP also initiated the development of a blood transfusion program that allows blood to be screened for infectious diseases including HIV and other diseases with light, easy-to-use rapid tests, and to be safely transfused in a jungle setting. Because of the high death rate from long transport times, GHAP and its local partner organizations have establish "trauma centers" (specially equipped mobile clinics) that can offer transfusions and other lifesaving emergency care.

Amputation using a Leatherman.
[GRAPHIC PICTURE - edit AHB]
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6888/bphwtleathermanamputati.jpg
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:45:44 AM by AHB »
In the end, every things is gonna be alright!
God bless you!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Re: Photo of an amputation using a Leatherman.
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:25:14 AM
That's crazy. Landmines are no joke. Pretty gruesome pic.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

gb Offline craigy

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:59:10 PM
thats a nasty picture poor person but just shows you never know when your leatherman may come in handy.
A

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:31:17 AM
That's quite something. With any luck that tool may have helped save his life.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline AncientMatingCalls

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:20:50 PM
Wow. :o  I didn't know if I should open the link. I did, and still have my breakfast.

Wonder what kind of tool. And on top of that why they would be using the MT when the guy on the right is holding a hacksaw in hand. Maybe to execute a more concentrated cut on a certain part inside the leg?
The Five Ws

Water
Wood
Weather
Wildlife
Widow-makers

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:28:24 PM
That's insane. It's terrible really, but awesome to see the ingenuity in trying to save the guy's life. Go Leatherman. The pic isn't as gruesome as I was expecting actually. As for the hacksaw I'm pretty sure they had already cut the bone, so I would guess they only wanted to use it for the bone, but wanted a cleaner cut on everything else to make it easier to close up.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 01:22:44 AM
And if anyone needs to comment on the above post, please do it at www.politics.com or some place like that..  ;)  :police:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:15:43 AM
Sorry :(

Thread removed
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:17:36 AM
Sorry :(

Thread removed
Don't be and thanks..  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68