Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

*sigh* Compatibility of Paul Chen Multi Tasker and Gerber heads?

BenH · 5 · 1967

Offline BenH

Got a Multi Tasker yesterday - figured it was cheap enough to be worth a go (I allotted myself a tenner to spend on Heinnies; should have got an Artifact  ::) )and I liked the idea of a shear-based MT (I was planning to round off the pointy end to make it safe for first aid, etc.).

Anyway, I've broken it already   :ahhh  Don't know how it happened, but the shears pivot is no longer tight enough to hold the blades together sufficiently - even when tightened up fully it seems fine until anything thicker than paper is put in it, then the blades slip away from each other. It's strange that I have no idea when I did it, because it must surely have been a fair bit of force, but it was just a case of trying to use it to cut a shoelace and it didn't work, having worked fine the time before  ???

Oh well, it was only £10. And I quite like the rest of it (I actually really like the silly-seeming file idea), so I was wondering whether there's anything I could do to salvage it, so:

1. Are Gerber plier heads compatible with the PC body (which was, at some point or another, designed by someone from Gerber / Fiskars and seems more or less the same as MP-series Gerber bodies)?

2. If 'yes' to 1., does anyone have a spare one they'd sell me? Blunt nose would be better to reduce the superfluity of the mini-pliers on the PC.

3. If 'no' to 1., does anybody have replacement PCMT shears?

Ben  :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
I can check the compatibility question when I get home this weekend. :salute:  (but I don't have an extra 600 head available) :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Could you not get a replacement Paul Chen MT or refund from Heinnies , sounds like a fair warranty claim too me  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline BenH

It probably would be a fair claim, but by the time I noticed, I'd already filed the sharp end of the shears down so I guess they'd be entitled to give it back; in all fairness (though I can't see how it would happen - hand filing is pretty gentle really) perhaps it was something in that process that made it go.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
As near as I can measure, a Gerber 600-series plier head will work fine in Paul Chen Multitasker handles. :tu:

That being said, it appears that the shears on the Paul Chen pivot around a bolt & nut set. Maybe you can take yours apart Ben and just tighten them up with some needlenose pliers? :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%