Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

e-Cigarettes

DaveK · 63 · 10288

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
e-Cigarettes
on: October 04, 2010, 12:32:00 PM
First up - I've started this thread in the EDC forum, because I want to talk about my most important EDC item!

Secondly - it may be that some people have strong views on this subject, but I would really appreciate it if we could stay away from the rights and wrongs of smoking or "vaping". I just want to talk about EDC and gadgets and chat and share knowledge about e-cigs without preaching - TIA :tu:

Thirdly - I am not recommending that non-smokers take up a nicotine habit - that would be daft. Nicotine free liquids are available and popular, but I can't really see the point in 0mg nic "vaping" myself.

So, as I mentioned on another thread, I converted to e-cigarettes about a month ago, and simply haven't missed cigarettes one bit. I feel healthier now the effects of smoking for 28 years are starting to disappear, but mostly, I am loving my new hobby. I have to say a huge thanks to Nuphoria, whose original post here on MT.O got my interest in this whole subject.

I'm finding that Vaping, and the gadgets and mods that go along with it is very similar in many ways to collecting multitools and even more like flashlight collecting.

There are loads of mods out there (I'm, intending to try my hand at modding eventually), carrying challenges and other EDC things to consider - it's great fun and cheaper and healthier than the alternative as a bonus!

So, this thread is my attempt to combine my two favourite passtimes, (vaping and MT.O) :D

Some pics of my gear:

Screwdriver Mk II

510 Riva

My gear, including DIY liquid making equipment, flavourings etc.

My first mod (Maglite Solitaire pocket clip on a 510 Riva)

The (I now know to be far from ideal) kit that got me started.

Does anyone else use e-cigs?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Re: e-Cigarettes
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:00:13 PM
I tried them a couple of years ago. They weren't good enough for me to stop smoking but I'm sure the technology is better now. I may try it again at some point.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:16:52 PM
I am a non-smoker (for my whole life). You use these things like cigarettes, they have nikotine, but without all the other stuff? And they bother no one around with smoke and bad smell? Sounds not too bad to me for all who can't (or don't want) turn down smoking and want to do something for their health. Nikotine isn't good, but the worst thing with cigarettes are all the other things they add. And if you can use them without bothering others (and we all know that the smoke isn't good either) that's a good alternative  :tu:

I don't know if this is available here in Germany. I have never heard of it before...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:56:20 PM
I am a non-smoker (for my whole life). You use these things like cigarettes, they have nikotine, but without all the other stuff? And they bother no one around with smoke and bad smell? Sounds not too bad to me for all who can't (or don't want) turn down smoking and want to do something for their health. Nikotine isn't good, but the worst thing with cigarettes are all the other things they add. And if you can use them without bothering others (and we all know that the smoke isn't good either) that's a good alternative  :tu:

I don't know if this is available here in Germany. I have never heard of it before...

That's pretty much what it's all about - good summary :)

Truth be known, not much information exists on the long term effects of nicotine, but it's generally considered to be similar to caffeine, i.e. a stimulant that causes no major issues if taken sensibly. It is however a very lethal poison if too concentrated, so I guess that even diluted it probably isn't a "good" thing.

As for the smell for people around you, the "smoke" produced by an e-cigarette is actually water vapour, and of course there's no combustion involved, so it clears after a couple of seconds. Some of the stronger flavours do scent the air (very lightly, and it doesn't linger). SWMBO particularly like the aroma of my Espresso, chocolate and hazelnut mixture I made the other day :D

Alternative is a good word too. It is an alternative to smoking, not a cure or method of giving up. A safer alternative.

I tried them a couple of years ago. They weren't good enough for me to stop smoking but I'm sure the technology is better now. I may try it again at some point.

You should! The advances in the last month are pretty significant, let alone the last two years. It's a new technology, but it really is getting better almost by the day.

You now have the ability to choose the strength of the nicotine solution, the strength of the flavouring, the amount of vapour a puff produces. With a little trial and error, you can make the experience better than smoking (at least that's the way it is for me). Some people seem to use e-cigs to cut down the number of tobacco cigs (or analogs as they are often referred to :D) they smoke much less, but without the nicotine withdrawal. Personally, I'm finding I'd rather have a vape than a smoke :)

I've just rounded off my lunch with a nice roast coffee flavoured "vape". Loverly. :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:05:48 PM by DaveK »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:39:38 PM
Do you now have a large stash of smokes and lighters that need a new home?  :pok: :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 05:46:56 PM
Smokes - no. Lighters - possibly!

:D

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 05:59:01 PM
I'm guessing the exhaled vapor still has nicotine in it, so isn't there a slight risk of secondhand smoking of nicotine by non smokers?
I guess it's better than the crap that's put into regular cigarettes...
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:25 PM
I think that's the point- while I can't debate on the effects of nicotine, it appears to be widely recognized as the least dangerous of all the ingredients in cigarette smoke.  Of course, that could be like saying the least dangerous of all nuclear weapons, as it's not a huge compliment to say it's the least dangerous in a group of highly toxic substances like tar and arsenic.

Still, removing nine out of ten dangerous ingredients is still a HUGE leap forward.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:29:54 PM
I'm guessing the exhaled vapor still has nicotine in it, so isn't there a slight risk of secondhand smoking of nicotine by non smokers?

But how far do you take everything?  It must be so minute that a car drive probably produces more risk to pedestrians.
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:57:38 PM
Lol I wouldn't worry about the nicotine being exhaled as it's absorbed very quickly on inhalation it would be like saying those who chew nicotine gum should be careful who you breath on  :rofl:

I like the e's and may try it for myself,one thing I missed when I tried giving was the inhalation this maybe my answer  :think: Dave do you get a good hit from these?   :cheers: 

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 07:05:15 PM
As I say - there (quite surprisingly IMO) seems to be no data on the long term effects of nicotine on the human body. It's the combustion of paper and tobacco that are known to do the damage. It is perhaps evident that the anti e-cig campaigns that have sprung up, primarily in the US, admit that there is no evidence to suggest that nicotine itself is harmful, and they would if they could I'm sure!

The general consensus seems to be that it is harmful, but to the same degree as caffeine is.

The exhaled vapour would contain traces of nicotine I'm sure, but the vast majority is apparently absorbed on inhale.

But how far do you take everything?  It must be so minute that a car drive probably produces more risk to pedestrians.

I feel much happier doing this than standing next to a busy road. Carbon monoxide is the one determinable thing I've actually noticed I don't inhale any more. My blood circulation has improved dramatically - walking on Saturday, I was absolutely shocked at the lack of muscle ache in my calves and thighs.

Dave do you get a good hit from these?   :cheers: 

Oh yeah. In fact you can tailor it to be as mild or as vicious as you like by using different strength liquids. You still get the same pleasure after a meal for example - just the same.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:13:28 PM
Thanks Dave  ;)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:22:45 PM
My pleasure John!

The "throat hit" is a much discussed aspect of comparing different e-cigs and liquids actually. A quick jaunt around Youtube shows you that it's that "hit" that every nicotine addict wants (and I'm no exception). Something that did surprise me though is that the hit doesn't come from the tobacco itself, it's all about the nicotine.

You can vape flavourless e-liquid and get the hit, and from there (from me at least) you sort of "go off" the tobacco flavour - I really never expected that at all - I thought it was tobacco that I was enjoying all these years  ???

Right now I'm vaping a home brew concoction of coffee, chocolate and hazelnut. Might have a bit of Tiramisu in a minute :D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:33:34 PM
Oh dear, Dave has new toys ::) :P

That screwdriver looks a bit of a monster, what atomiser does it use?  I hear all the cool kids are using 510 these days :D

Judging by all the bottles I'm guessing you've gone direct drip?

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 08:41:42 PM

But how far do you take everything?  It must be so minute that a car drive probably produces more risk to pedestrians.

It doesn't really bother me, I was just curious.
And I really hate cigarettes.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 08:51:40 PM
I could tell  ;) :D
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 08:52:52 PM

Intravenous?  :rofl: sounds good to me  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 09:10:26 PM

That screwdriver looks a bit of a monster, what atomiser does it use?  I hear all the cool kids are using 510 these days :D

That's a 510 (Low Resistance - nice ;)) on the Screwdriver - it came fitted with a 901 but I got an adapter as my other batteries are all 510 and it makes sense to standardise really :)

I have tried dripping, but find it not too practical when out and about, so I'm mostly using cartridges, just filling them myself - that said I have ordered some nice aluminium drip tips which should arrive tomorrow, as sitting here at the PC it's a nice experience. In the same packet should be some cartomisers, the idea being that you pop the plastic top off the cartomiser, and just keep topping it up as you go along. Sounds pretty convenient to me so I'm giving it a go. Should be cheaper than using separate atomisers and cartridges too - we'll see!

The little bottles there are 5ml "tasters" for a bit of variety and just to try out different flavours - some I like, some not so much. The little 5ml bottles in the bottom of the box are just flavouring as I'm trying my hand at mixing my own. Pretty successfully so far too :D

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 09:19:49 PM
Ok Dave recommend me a set up? :pok:   :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 09:56:42 PM

Well I went for (and haven't regretted it yet) the Riva like in the pics. It's sold under a few different names depending on which vendor you buy it from, but they're all the same under the branding. The starter kits vary in their content though - I decided the Riva's was best for me as it had a fast USB charger included in it.

Happy to share what I know if you drop me a PM John :)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 11:53:52 PM

Well I went for (and haven't regretted it yet) the Riva like in the pics. It's sold under a few different names depending on which vendor you buy it from, but they're all the same under the branding. The starter kits vary in their content though - I decided the Riva's was best for me as it had a fast USB charger included in it.

Happy to share what I know if you drop me a PM John :)

Clue me in on this too Dave, if you would. What all would one need if one wants a simple and easy system. Buying a packet of cigarettes is soooo easy... I want a system that is just as easy. The simpler, the better. No need for any fanciness.

Help?

G

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 12:58:57 AM
Well, in terms of convenience, there are pros and cons I would say.

The biggest cons would be that all of the component parts of an e-cig are, ultimately, disposable and therefore are likely to fail on you when you least expect it. For the time being at least, you aren't going to be able to nip to the corner shop for an extra battery, atomiser or cartridge, which in turn means you need to stock up a bit, and carry spares. That's not too much of an inconvenience, but if you don't do it - it'll get ya eventually!

The biggest pros would be that once you've got it all together and it becomes part of your EDC, you can use your e-cig pretty much wherever or whenever you want. You can just take a couple of puffs when you fancy, rather than waste a cigarette, there's no ash or nub end to dispose of, no yellow stains on the ceiling, your teeth or your fingertips etc.

For me, the pros by far outweigh the cons, and that's before you start thinking about the health and social benefits, and of course the cost!

As for the right starter kit, I'd try and avoid the cigarette look-a-like kits - I (like many before me apparently) tried these and after a day or two was getting frustrated with the battery life, reliability and the cost of cartridges.

I'd definitely recommend the 510s with the big batteries. The battery is everything, and as they are too big to look like cigarettes, the manufacturers had stopped trying make them look like cigarettes, which can actually be quite useful at times.

The Joye 510 is sold as the Tornado, The Riva, the eGo and probably some other names depending on which vendor you use. I can advise you of a couple of excellent British vendors who have US sites, US sourced e-Liquids etc (the hardware all comes from China - obviously). They both have US warehouses and offices, so you get decent delivery and customer service.

They all sell "starter kits" which typically comprise two batteries, a couple of atomisers, charger, cartridges, sometimes they include pre-filled cartridges, the one I went for (the Riva) included a fast USB charger so I had to buy some liquid separately and I think I got that right.

I'd recommend the Riva starter kit from www.liberty-flights.com or www.liberty-flights.co.uk, but you might prefer the look of the Tornado from www.totallywicked-eliquid.com or www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk. The Riva kit was a bit cheaper on the UK site (not sure about the US), but obviously you'll need to buy some juice along with it.

Let me know before you order anything from Liberty Flights though as I can get a kick back :D

Once you are into the swing of things with the "Tornagova" devices, they are actually much easier than tobacco IMO :)

To make it really easy, you can buy pre-filled cartridges, but I'd definitely recommend buying liquid and filling the cartridges yourself - much cheaper and second nature after a few days :)

us Offline TxSxB

Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 09:19:27 PM
Haven't been here in a while but had to get in on this one. Right now I'm vaping on a Revolver Infiniti Ion (http://revolvercig.com/infiniti-ion-starter-kit-manual-batteries.html) and I really like it. The PCC (personal charging case) is about the same size as a pack of 100's and it stores and charges a spare battery as well as stores the e-cig while you aren't using it. It also has space to store an extra atomizer and four cartridges. The throat hit and flavor of this thing is VERY satisfying and it puts out a nice big cloud of vapor (I'm vaping an 80%PG-VG20% Mountain Mist from Vaporbomb.com) Anyway I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking to get into vaping or anybody that needs a convenient PV system for being out and about. By the way all my experiances with Revolver have been fantastic, Grade A customer service, super fast shipping (they're based near Detroit IIRC) and fantastic products all the way around.  :tu:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 10:18:59 PM
I'm sure we had a thread about this months ago somewhere - I remember extolling the virtues of my kit :)

Lots of pros and that's it as far as I'm concerned. I hardly smoke these days by I do vape at home and I like it. My fave flavours at the moment are spearmint or cherry I think. My kit is pretty cheap so I'll probably upgrade at some point, but it works fine for now.

I quite fancy a pipe too  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 10:20:08 PM
I like the idea of a pipe as well.  Just feel about 50 years too young.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 12:27:04 AM
I like the idea of a pipe as well.  Just feel about 50 years too young.  :D

:pok: Start a trend ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 11:57:19 AM
I am cool enough  8)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 12:07:37 PM
 :pok: Make it happen then.

Oh and we'll be needing pics :)

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 03:59:36 PM
I don't smoke or vape...but...just wondering if they make any of these e-cigs that look like pipes?  Maybe they'd really get popular if everyone could get an urbane Bob Dobbs look about them instead of looking like you're sucking on a ballpoint pen or crazy flashlight-bong-thing.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 06:28:54 PM
I have seen one but apparently its not the greatest device on the market.  Its a pretty young market and there is still plenty of room for innovation.

Talking oddball, I heard someone modded one of these into a vaporiser  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%