Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A thread for the smoker

Benner · 147 · 10662

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
A thread for the smoker
on: October 04, 2010, 06:44:08 PM
I get a little annoyed at the social outcast I seem to have now become because I smoke and I am happy to say I do (this is aimed at public in general and is not a pop at any members here).  So this thread is JUST for the smokers.  This has nothing to do with promoting smoking or arguing why or why not smoking is OK to do or not, so if you feel strongly about it please keep all comments to yourselves as I have started this thread for smokers to talk about smoking, not to defend our habit.  Every smoker knows the risks, we are told every time we light up, but that hasn't stopped us before so please don't try to convince us here - thank you.

So, smokers, I'm curious - what brand do you smoke and out of interest how much does a pack (if you do indeed smoke a pack) cost where you are?

For the past 7 years I have pretty much exclusively smoked Drum tobacco which I roll using Green Rizla's and Swan slimline filters.  As I am lazy  :D, I use a regular sized Rizla rolling machine and although I do look a bit of a berk at times, I find I get a better result with one of these.  Over here a 12.5g pouch of Drum costs a whopping £2.80-£3 ish, but that is much better than £6.10 on 20 Marlboro that I used to smoke (and do occasionally treat myself to  :D).

Lighter is usually a petrol one of some sort and usually is a Zippo.  I just find the smell of petrol just adds to the experince for me.

So how about you guys?
I'm back!!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Re: A thread for the smoker
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:57:24 PM
I don't smoke cigarettes.  I tried them out when I was a teen but didn't like it very much.  However, I do smoke cigars.   :drool:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:02:09 PM
What's your brand buddy?

I very occasionally have one, Hamlet usually, however I do have a big bugger here that I have had since I was 18 just waiting to be fired up.
I'm back!!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:19:00 PM
My all-time favourites would probably be Cuban Partagas D4 and Montecristo No. 2 but for quick smokes, Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleur is my EDC (Everyday Cigar)
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:28:51 PM
So this thread is JUST for the smokers. 

Discrimination  :ahhh

I'm gonna post anyway :D

I smoked Marlboro Lights (or Marlboro Gold as they were suddenly called one morning recently), which I started when I moved to France and found I couldn't get Embassy Number 1 any more!

Zippo lighter(s) (completely agree about the smell of the petrol).
I used to come here a lot.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:38:20 PM
I am a former smoker that don’t miss it but I will be happy to share my smoking years with you.

I started out smoking cigarettes, Prince Light that is a Danish brand but after a few months I converted to Lucky Strike. When I was in the military I smoked a tobacco called Petterøe’s blanding 3 that I rolled in Big Ben paper.
As of now the price for a pack of 20 cigarettes cost around 14,50 $ while 50 grams of tobacco cost 34$.

I do however still smoke a cigar on the rare occasion and then it’s a Macanudo.

But smoking could not and never will be as addictive as smokeless tobacco, or snus as it’s called in Norway. Nothing beats the smell of a brand new box of snus and the feeling of a nicely backed snus in your upper lip……GOD I miss snus. Snus cost around 13$ for a box.

If I’m ever going to start smoking again I will without a doubt start smoking a pipe.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:49 PM
I smoked Marlboro Lights (or Marlboro Gold as they were suddenly called one morning recently)

I believe that it was a EU rule that was implimented in 2002 that said you no longer could say a brand of cigarettes was Light or Milde
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:41:12 PM
Is this thread legal?  :think: :rofl:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:41:58 PM
So this thread is JUST for the smokers. 
I smoked Marlboro Lights (or Marlboro Gold as they were suddenly called one morning recently)

I believe that it was a EU rule that was implimented in 2002 that said you no longer could say a brand of cigarettes was Light or Milde

I never knew that.  :)
I'm back!!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 07:45:09 PM
I love Macanudo.  I used to smoke them alot when I first began to smoke but haven't in recent years.  This brand is still probably in my top 10 of favourite non-Cuban brands.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 07:46:00 PM
Kenneth's right.. I remember when the brand Prince turned from Light to White..  ::)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:47:03 PM

It comes into force across the whole of the EU in a couple of months apparently - the name only changed a few weeks ago here in the UK. They're trying to standardise advertising and health warnings across EU member countries apparently - which could get interesting when the French are told to do it :D

Prince Lights? Are they the ones that are supposedly "additive free" or something?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline specgrade

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 07:54:13 PM
 I started smoking around the age of 13 and quit at the age of 30. I smoked Marlboro lights a long time and switched to Doral ultra-lights for the remaining years I smoked. I used whatever Bic lighter I had in my pocket at the time. I did carry a Zippo for a short time, maybe a year or two.

I quit in 2000 and I couldn't care less if others smoke around me. The hardest part was sitting in a bar or driving my car, do da do da.  :D

Smoke'em if ya got got'em!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:30:49 PM
I started smoking when I was about 16. I had chewed tobacco for years before that but I came from a small town and even buying Levi Garrett at the tender age of 10 wasn't a problem. I assume the grocers thought I was buying it for my Dad.

Anyway, I was 16 and was getting hot and heavy dating this uber hot 15 year old girl from another school but she wouldn't kiss me when I chewed so I got to smoking when I was around her. Then from age 16 to 18 or so I was smoking Camel non-filters and chewing Levi Garrett plug both. I stopped chewing at 18 or so and switched to Camel filters and I smoked those for years. Then I started smoking menthols and now I have ended up smoking Marlboro Green 72's. They're OK, not great but I can get a carton of them for $26. I'm lucky that my state has some of the lowest cigarette taxes in the nation.

Although I have rolled my own on occasion. They are fine but it's a pain in the butt. But I have been researching electric cigarette makers and may try one of them. Any chance to save money and get cigarettes that are custom suited to my taste makes DTH happy.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 08:38:22 PM
I'm an infrequent smoker these days but I have a long love affair with the habit.   By far and away my most common smoke was Golden Virginia and green Rizla papers, but I've also been know to smoke Cafe Creme and other cigars and, for a short time, a clay pipe. :)  You do get some lovely smelling pipe tobacco.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 10:15:16 PM
Anyone know of any decent tobacco tins/boxes?  Have used the cheapie ones but they don't last long before the lids go and you lose a pouch in your pocket.
I'm back!!

Offline TJx

• New User
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 02:36:46 AM
I was about a pack a day Camel Light smoker up until I quit on July 15th of this year, the carpet glue they are putting in to make them Fire Safe (FSC) helped motivate me.
I'm gonna be honest, it is HARD. The craving just isn't easing up, I thought I heard it can take a year. No job, no money I'm sure doesn't help with the stress level either.
About 6 weeks in I tried the e cigarettes. I bought the semi disposable that lasts about 4-5 daily charges, I didn't even finish what I had, it did absolutely nothing for me, no buzz, nothing, and I was using the strongest version. Just a gimmick IMHO.
I promise to not be a anti-smoking Nazi, I envy you guys.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 02:06:30 PM
One thing that makes me happy is that now I'm off methadone my smoking has slowed down considerably. The goal is to get to about 3-5 cigs a day. My Mom smokes a cigarette about once a week or so. Her cigarettes go stale before she can finish a pack.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 02:20:33 PM
I gave up in the end looking for a decent, new tobacco tin where the lid doesn't come off and settled for a really good conditioned, round (I like round ones), vintage tin that you need to use a coin to open (it's a Balkan Sobranie for those in the know).  It's amazing how cheap these things are and just what is around.

I do fear what I may have started though  :ahhh
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 03:26:37 PM
Is that something else I need to look for at the car boots then Ben? :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 03:28:00 PM
No!  >:(

(yes please)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:24 PM
You might have to wait until next year now, the season is all but done.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 03:33:34 PM
I expect that's a blessing TBH.  Look whhat happened to me and lighters  :twak: :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 03:44:35 PM
Better you than me :P

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 03:46:22 PM
Yeah thanks - pusher  :pok:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 03:47:53 PM
I really must find a way to monetise this addiction now I've set it in place :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 03:59:52 PM
Start growing "Neil Bee's extra flavoursome Shag tobacco" in your garden and start putting your face on a bunch of crappy merchandise and you can mug me for all I own.  :D
I'm back!!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 04:00:51 PM
Another former smoker here as well  :D  :cheers:

Stopped in 2005; IIRC 20 Regal King Size were about £4.60ish. I never could smoke the 'cheaper' brands of Mayfair or Lambert & Butler. Roll ups were just out of the question   :ahhh Too strong and too much effort involved  :)

When I started 10 Regal King Size was about £1.20  :o Not sure what the going rate is now, may be double or triple  :o

I made the decision to stop after my second little 'un was born; financially I couldn't have kept up to it  :-\ I knew the price was always going to go up and the gov would eventually limit where you can smoke; which has now happened  ::)

I'm not a reformed smoker on a crusade against smokers; couldn't give a monkeys :D Have to say that it is nice to come home from a night out and not stink of smoke  :tu:
Just back from a weekend in Benidorm where I quickly realised smoking is not banned in pubs, clubs, etc. Felt really weird and of course all my clothes stink now lol.

Apparently Spain is one of the last smokers' paradises in Western Europe and they keep delaying the inevitable public place ban.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 04:10:45 PM
You should have switched to rollies mate - far cheaper and you could have had the smokes AND the family  :rofl:

Roll ups are a better smoke as well IMO.  I originally switched for price reasons, but now even if roll ups were more expensive I'd still chose it as it is a nicer smoke (by a long way).
I'm back!!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 04:24:15 PM
Could have been that I wasn't rolling them right  ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%