Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding the Spirit scissors?

Offline MacTech

Modding the Spirit scissors?
on: September 23, 2007, 04:01:04 AM
I have a sort of love/hate thing with the scissors on the Vic ST Spirit, I love the fact that Vic finally released a scissor design that does not rely on that delicate spring-steel spring, yet I *hate* the lack of travel, small opening gap, and inability to sharpen the scissor blades that comes with the redesigned scissors

the scissors on the Leatherman Surge are my benchmark design, they have a nice, durable springmech , have a nice wide cutting gap, *AND* open fully for sharpening

As I look at the redesigned Spirit scissors, it appeared that with a little modding of the scissor arm, the scissors would be able to open wider and even be sharpened

I threw together some quick-and-dirty Photoshop jobs of what I figured might work, the area to be removed is highlighted in yellow, and there are mockup pics as to what the scissors might look like post-surgery

If I'm thinking correctly, removing the "spur" at the bottom of the scissor arm should allow the scissors to open much wider and even allow sharpening, with minimal impact on the functioning of the scissors, the "spur" appears only to be there to limit scissor arm travel when folding/unfolding the scissors from the handle.....

so, SwissTool experts, do you think this would work, any downsides, and what's the best way to implement it, what's the best way to remove the spur?

and yes, I know i'd likely be voiding the Spirit's warranty if I do this, but I really hate the limited travel of these scissors, it's one of the very few things I dislike about the Spirit

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Modding the Spirit scissors?
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 04:19:50 AM
Hmmmm...innerestin' idear ya got there.

Seems like the only downside might be the scissors would fling all the way open without the spur stop? I think (?) they would have to be manually held closed as you folded the scissors tool away after each use. Maybe not a big deal.

How to do it? Perhaps a thin screwdriver tip could be used between the spring layer and the scissor jaw layer, seperating the two, allowing the scissor jaw to rotate around 180 degrees. Then the spur could be ground off easily. Then the scissor jaw could be rotated around back in place.

....or maybe not.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Modding the Spirit scissors?
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:09:56 PM
I doubt there's enough play in the scissor pivot to allow it to slip over the spring- that's just not the way Victorinox does things!  I'd be tempted to just grab a grinding wheel on a Dremel tool and try not to hit the other half of the scissors if I was going to do it.  Yeah, it's a little less fancy, and would result in more marks on the scissors, but the only other option I could see would be to drill out the rivet and replace it after the surgery is complete.

Of course if you think the Surge scissors are the epitome of scissor design, check out an old Wave or PST II- the scissor design there is much better!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%