Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

1/4" Surge Adapter

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
1/4" Surge Adapter
on: October 06, 2010, 01:57:17 AM
Was a silly project, which essentially was shaving down a 1/4x6mm bit.

Sat here for about two hours using my Surge and Crunch, modifying a bit that is included with the Removable Bit Kit. Filed down most the length of the 1/4 6mm bit, on the 6mm side. Along with the modified bit, also carry a 1/4" socket adapter gotten from a 1/4" drive kit.

Took the modified bit out, and the 1/4" socket adapter, grabbed a socket nearby. The removable bit driver there, and my Surge.

Inserted the modified bit into the Surge. Assembled the RBD, 1/4" socket adapter, and the socket. James Bond style. :)

Fully assembled and ready to go!

Side View

Top View

Close-Up Showing the modified bit in between the Surge's large bit drive adapter & the Removable Bit Driver.

The above was just a small project. All hand filed using Leatherman tools; Surge & Crunch. Juice KF4 was using to diagonally measure width of the bit needed to fit into the RBD.

If Leatherman were to make/sell these to fit directly into the Large Bit Drive, would eliminate having to use the Removable Bit Driver option. Also would be a lot less wobbly and more secure.

* 1/4" Socket Adapter
* 1/4" Hex Adapter (a shorter version of the Bit Extender)

With those two adapters shaved down to fit directly into the Large Bit Drivers of most the Leatherman multi-tool line they could sell these to customers that do not have the proper equipment. These probably would sell individually, or with an Advanced Removable Bit Driver set. The adapters would fit nicely in the RBD's card that already exists.

Incidentally, left a gap between the RBM and the Surge on purpose: for wear and down the road, did not want the RBD rubbing against the large bit adapter and the small "L" clip there.

Basically take off 1mm off both of the edges, then square off the corners diagonally. There is a slight taper I noticed too.

You're trying to get the bit to fit semi-squarely into the corner recess of the RBD, diagonally corner to corner with a light taper for snugness.

Diagram:

Example ONLY of the tapering of the bit, for those wanting more visual cues:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:04:03 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: 1/4" Surge Adapter
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:13:27 AM
Was a small project one evening as I was waiting for night fall. Not having the proper equipment, only used Surge and Crunch. Wasn't hard, just time consuming.

Incentive was someone asking me if the Removable Bit Driver (RBD) could be used on a Wave or Surge. Then I got to being curious. If in a pinch a P23 could be used instead of shaving a bit down.

Drawbacks on using the RBD as a 1/4" adapter are:
  • Each connection is going to cause a wobble
  • RBD looks to be a light cast metal. Too much pressure will surely break it
  • The RBD is rather long. Most places only allow so much room
  • There is no way to angle the 1/4" socket adapter to a 45° or 90° angle
  • And it does not ratchet...

Yet the project was a success, if you wanted the Removable Bit Driver to work on your Charge, Surge, or Wave.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Re: 1/4" Surge Adapter
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:58:51 AM
Nice set up. :tu: I filed a 1/4 magnetic bit holder to fit Leatherman bit holders and it works good. What i like about your mod is that it fits in LM bit card.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD