Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Buck Vantage.....in Cherry!

2xTap · 13 · 5051

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
New Buck Vantage.....in Cherry!
on: October 09, 2010, 05:37:51 PM
My recent order from Buck Knives just arrived and I have to say this is, to me, the best looking Vantage they make so far.

It's a fullsize Buck 346 Vantage Avid. Closed length is 4 3/8" with a 3 1/4" blade. Like all other Vantage's it is a linerlock featuring full stainless steel liners with stainless frame spacers, and stainless Torx bolts holding it all together. The stainless pocket clip can be mounted to either side but only offers Tip-Up carry. The modified drop-point blade is hollow ground and brushed finished, sports a "flipper" on the tang, and is made from Paul Bos heat-treated 13C26 Sandvik Stainless.

Mark side scale is inlaid with Buck's enamled Anvil shield, and the scales themselves on this particular version are made of Cherry Dymondwood........

Fit and finish is excellent, no serious faults to be found. Blade has nice grinds and clean finish and it came hair-popping sharp. Overall construction of the frame is solid and clean with scales and liners matching up perfect, and linerlock engages the blade fully and locks up solid.....

The blade also opens extremely smooth, and while the overall design of the knife is relatively thin and lightweight it does have a good balance and is comfortable in the hand.

Here's a side by side with my other Vantage, a 345 model with FRN scales and 420HC blade..........

At $36.00 it's a great folder for the money. And while they do make these in a number of handle materials now this one in Cherry Dymondwood is a bit rare it would seem. According to Buck they released these in 2009 but aside from their own website I have found only one other dealer that has any of these in stock. And I only found this one by chance.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: New Buck Vantage.....in Cherry!
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:50:28 PM
Wow!  For the money that has to be one of the best looking folders available.
I'm back!!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 05:53:41 PM
Wow!  For the money that has to be one of the best looking folders available.

From Buck, I agree. And if anyone is interested in getting one go to the Buck Knives website and look on their "Web Specials" page, here is a link: http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3901

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

Offline jets1230

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 05:56:22 PM
I know what my next purchase will be!  :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:24:28 PM
That's a bargain :o
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:55:26 PM
That's a bargain :o

I quite agree. One of the two main reasons I jumped at it when I saw it.  :tu:

2xTap

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 12:52:49 AM
That's a great deal for Sandvik.

Too bad me and Sandvik just don't get along that well.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:35:17 PM
What a beautiful colour  :drool:

I'd get one in a flash if it was legal here.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Deere Man

Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 06:18:57 PM
Holy cow that's a beautiful knife at an outstanding price.  I may have to pick one up as a gift. 

One question, how is that steel for non-knife-nuts?  I've never heard of it before.  How is it for edge holding and sharpening?  I'd hate to buy my dad some super-steal knife that he'd never be able to sharpen.  Not that he sharpens his knives much anyway... ???

Thanks.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 07:10:28 PM
Reckon that`s a great lookin Buck!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 08:05:39 PM
Holy cow that's a beautiful knife at an outstanding price.  I may have to pick one up as a gift. 

One question, how is that steel for non-knife-nuts?  I've never heard of it before.  How is it for edge holding and sharpening?  I'd hate to buy my dad some super-steal knife that he'd never be able to sharpen.  Not that he sharpens his knives much anyway... ???

Thanks.

Sandvik 13c26 is very comparable to AUS 8.  It's pretty hard and it's got pretty good edge retention, but it's not that hard to sharpen.  It's also a very pure steel and as such takes an excellent edge.  For me, the downside is corrosion resistance, but I also live in a very humid area so your mileage may vary.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:31:29 PM
Any one want to do a group buy for us non-US folks?

:pok:

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:37 PM
Holy cow that's a beautiful knife at an outstanding price.  I may have to pick one up as a gift.  

One question, how is that steel for non-knife-nuts?  I've never heard of it before.  How is it for edge holding and sharpening?  I'd hate to buy my dad some super-steal knife that he'd never be able to sharpen.  Not that he sharpens his knives much anyway... ???

Thanks.

Honestly I've not really used this steel much although I am well acquainted with their 12C27 which is fairly similar to 13C26.....13C26 having a touch more carbon and a hair less chromium. Good edge retention and they are tough stainless steels with the right heat treat. As jekostas mentioned it ain't hard to sharpen and it's a steel with a fine grain structure......you can get a wicked edge on it.

2xTap
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:58:08 PM by 2xTap »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%