Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does anyone here have either the E2L or E2L-AA?

Sean · 19 · 2795

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Does anyone here have either the E2L or E2L-AA?
on: October 08, 2010, 05:19:39 PM
Looking at both online and I'm a little undecided at which one to purchase.  The cost of Lithium AA's works out to
double what the primary 123's Surefire batts will cost here so that's a plus for the E2L.  However I do have 2300 ma
rechargeable nimh batteries but wonder how the runtimes would be on "high" with them?  That is my concern with the E2L aa version light.  I'm wondering if it would have near the 6.5 hour runtime the surefire primary cells would have?
Anyone?  thanks.  :)

ca Offline Black Rose

Re: Does anyone here have either the E2L or E2L-AA?
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:58:38 PM
There is a huge thread about the E2L-AA on CPF that will probably give you the info you are looking for.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=272440

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:48:18 PM
thanks  :tu:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:21:34 AM
I want an AA version . E2L is also a nice lite , as is the L2 family .

Chris

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:27:37 AM
Chris,
 I agree they are nice lights.  I'm looking for something to take along with me on my nightly walks.  I'd
grab an AA but am not sure if I'll be impressed with the runtime on my rechargeables?  Using AA Lithiums by
Energizer is out for me, I might as well use the Surefire 123's which are cheaper.  I only need to run it on the
lower lumen mode anyhow for most of the time but it'll be nice having the option of bumping up the power.
I've been also toying with the Quark AA2 but I just don't like it's looks and I really don't want to be fiddling
with the lights scrolling through a bunch of useless sos, or beacon modes.  :-\

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 06:09:38 AM
I received a Fenix E21 Neutral today.

Really nice 2-mode 2xAA light.  It's 135 lumen on high and 45 on low.

Running it on Eneloops/Duraloops.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 06:13:51 AM
Just had a look at your light on the Fenix website.  Looks great, hope you enjoy it.  Let us know how it works out for you. :)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 10:26:51 AM
I have the last two generations of the E2L and love both of them. I was going to pick up a E2L-AA but decided against it for the same reason you mentioned Sean, Surefire cells are cheaper around here than lithium AAs.  I am more of a runtime guy when it comes flashlights nowadays so the E2L is good for me. From the runtime graphs I have seen on CPF the latest E2L will go for over six hours at 100% regulation before it drops out. In the realworld EDC use I have gone over 3 months before I had to change out batteries. I like the UI of the two stage newer KX2 head as well. I have some beamshots posted around here somewhere of both lights.
"

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 03:43:48 PM
I think I'm going to get one , bombproof and AA appeal . Surefire is also built ruggedly enuff to be a good Kubo. A good feature considering some of the colorfull ennunciation holes I get to work in .

Chris

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 06:16:40 PM
Prime, I didn't realize you had some e2l's.  I'll have to check around and see your thread and beamshots.  I can get
the Surefire 123's for pennies over $2 ea so I can't really beat that with Lith AA's.
First off I was looking at the E2DL with the tac ends but the runtime especially on high is not long at all in comparison to the E2L.
Seeing as Chris is buying the AA model I think I'll go grab the E2L.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 04:31:23 AM
I had an E2L outdoorsman and it was great light....long, but nice.  Traded it because I never carried it, but I would go with the Cr123 version over the AA anyday. 

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 07:45:57 AM
Zack,  I took mine out last night for a walk.  Nice light, shoots a pretty good beam.  It seems to project a tighter
farther beam than my G2L which has apparently more lumen.  I guess that would be because of the special head.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 03:52:22 PM
Chris,
 I agree they are nice lights.  I'm looking for something to take along with me on my nightly walks.  I'd
grab an AA but am not sure if I'll be impressed with the runtime on my rechargeables?

What would impress you?  I use 2xAA Quark tacticals frequently outdoors, and I run them on 2000mAh Eneloops.  Roughly, they'll run 20 hours or so at 20 lumens, 4-5 hours at 80 lumens or a bit over an hour at 180-200 lumens.

I can't imagine that Surefire's efficiency on 2xAA would be much different.
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 05:36:58 PM
Zack,  I took mine out last night for a walk.  Nice light, shoots a pretty good beam.  It seems to project a tighter
farther beam than my G2L which has apparently more lumen.  I guess that would be because of the special head.
Thats the thing about these TIR optic lights. Because of the tight beam from the optic it's lower lumens will throw farther than other higher lumen lights. If you really need a floody beam for some up close useage you need to pick up the F04 snap on diffuser. Than you'll have the best of both worlds.
"

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 06:39:25 PM
Prime, good to know. I will check out maybe getting some kind of a diffuser just for kicks.  Maybe I'll try a poor mans diffuser first (clear pill bottle cap) and see if it fits/works to any degree.  :)

Nutsak,  It sounds as though your running good times out of your rechargeables.  Mine are getting to be over 5 years old now and I'd really to be fair to an AA light I'd have to go grab some new batts.  My charger is starting to show it's age as well where the cord connects into the back of it, seems to be an intermittent connection there which screws things up.  When they finally crap out totally I'll maybe look for another system and then start looking at some
AA lights.
BTW, how do you like your 4sevens lights?  :)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:45:27 PM
I love the 4Sevens tacticals and the MiNis also.  The "Lego" ability of the Quark parts makes them versatile, they're well-built, and the tactical interface gives you many options but with a very simple UI.  The MiNis are great for EDC, with their very small size and excellent output.  My Quarks are all neutral-tint models, which is important to me for outdoor use.

When you buy new NiMH batteries, buy Eneloops or the white-top Duracell rebranded Eneloops.  You will not be disappointed.
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 10:02:19 PM
Prime, good to know. I will check out maybe getting some kind of a diffuser just for kicks.  Maybe I'll try a poor mans diffuser first (clear pill bottle cap) and see if it fits/works to any degree.  Smiley

I have done some poor mans diffusers myself and they work ok but the F04 rocks. It makes for a perfect flood beam. Here are some shots of the L1 with it on and off up close. The L1 basically has the same output and optic as the E2L.

"

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 10:18:53 PM
Sean, minimag's lens kit will fit surefire's L1/E2 head, either sand the clear one for diffuser or put some diffuser film on it. And you get a blue and red filter with it too.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 01:04:42 AM
Nutsak,  thanks for the quark input.  I might give them a try, next time around.  :tu:

Prime,  thanks for the taking the time to shoot those pics  I can see where the diffuser would
come in handy at times.

Jzmtl,  I'll look into the mini-mag kit.  Thanks! :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%