Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Be vewwy vewwy quiet, I'm hunting CoyDogs (or maybe Coyotes) hahahahaha!

Offline MacTech

We've got an obnoxious lil var-meent on our property (50 acres of land), a rather bold coydog/coyote, it's been seen quite close to my sister's house (she shares our property) while she's out on her Kubota garden tractor (midsize unit with bucketloader), crossing the street less than 50 feet from a car, and down near the pond when my nephew and niece are fishing, they're 5 and 3, they also have a miniature dachsund and a few horses, I only have a couple of cats, but they're freindly, gregarious critters

we also have a family of deer (4-5 animals) some wild turkeys and a pheasant that share the land with us, so it's sort of an impromptu wildlife preserve (posted no hunting), NOT a coyote buffett

this coyote needs to die

from the research I've performed, it turns out that the lowly .22 rimfire is the preferred form of "Coyote Repellent", and since I didn't have a .22 (I sold my old Marlin Mod 25 bolt action a few years ago to buy a Paintball marker that i ended up using once and then gathering dust, shoulda' thought that one out better.....) I had to remedy that problem, as my only other options are a tad noiser and messier (Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum, Mossberg 500 12-gauge, Parker VH grade side-by-side 12 gauge) and would probably not be appreciated by my Sis's horses and our neighbors across the street

so I stopped off at my local sporting goods store tonight and looked around, I found an old Marlin Glenfield 60 semiauto with a basic Tasco 4x15 scope for $75, the bluing's a tiny bit rough (probably 85% of new) but the gun itself seems to be in good shape and is resaonably clean, parts have a good walk-and-talk, so I figure it's worth a try, for less than the cost of a Leatherman Charge, I have a good, solid plinking/varminting/coyote-killing gun, the rough bluing doesn't bother me as it's a user, not a wall hanger

anyone familiar with the Marlin Glenfield 60?, looks to be a solid, basic gun, which is all I'm really looking for anyway....

of course, now that I *have* the Marlin 60, I'll never see the coyote....

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Marlin makes quality firearms and I have never heard of a problem with the model 60.  My uncle had one years ago and I shot it frequently and it shot nice.

As for shooting coyotes I would go with a slug from the mossberg.  It may not be a long range rifle buy I highly doubt that you could throw a .22lr bullet through the eye or ear of a coyote from 100 yds.(from your post you seem to be one to not let an animal die slowly)  Where I am going with this is with a rifled 12 ga slug if you hit him in the body he'll probally go down and expire quickly if not immediately.  You hit him anywhere but the brain with a .22 and you'll have to track him down and finish him.  I have witnesed close up a man shooting a rabid dog with a .22 as it charged him.  The dog was foxhound size and did not go down very quickly at all.  He dispatched it from 30 yds because it was still trying to get him.  10 rounds in all it took.  Last 5 were in the head.  First 5 were in the body.  Definately not pleasant. :angry:

Offline MacTech

CQC, yes, I'm looking for the most humane way to eliminate the coyote, I was skeptical about the .22, but both Maine Fish&Game and Kittery Trading Post both reccomended the .22 with CCI Mini-Mag ammo as the most effective means of dispatching the animal

In all honesty, I'd rather not have to shoot it at all, I'm a live-and-let-live kinda' guy, but if it comes down to a choice between protecting our pets and my nephew and niece, and letting the coyote come-and-go as it pleases, sorry, Wile E., you have to go, Super-Genius or not...

So, I guess I'm back to the Mossberg or the Ruger then, oh well, it's still nice to have a good little plinkin' gun anyway, nice, relatively quiet, no kick.....

Hmm, I wonder if this gun can handle .22LR Subsonic, as we have a bunch of squirrels that keep raiding our bird feeders, the cats were "hired" to handle the squirrel problem, but they like the wild birds better, oh well, their companionship is worth it (right now, our black and white shorthair, Blue, is lying on my bed asleep as I type this, probably dreaming of yummy chickadees.....)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
I definately agree that the .22 isn't the best choice (in my opinion) for a coyote.  I've never shot a coyote, but I've shot a lot of squirrels and racoons with .22s and a few of them got away.

Out of the guns you've listed, the 12 gauge is probably the best choice.  It'll have a lot of impact power if you hit the coyote, and should either kill it, or disable it enough where you can close in to finish it off.

I'm curious how far of a distance shot you think you would take with the .22?   If you think you can get within 50 yards of it, the .22 could be effective depending on how accurate you are :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline MacTech

Well, I was a pretty dead-eye with the old Marlin 25 on iron sights, from 50 yards I could keep my groupings within the first 3 rings of the standard NRA smallbore target, or take the cap off a 16 oz plastic soda bottle, assuming the Marlin 60 is just as accurate as the 25 (they have the same "Micro-Groove" rifling) and assuming *I'M* as accurate as I was with the 25, I should be able to pull off a decent distance shot

I learned on my old Marlin 25 bolt-action, make every shot count, just because the 60 has a 17 round tube doesn't mean I'm going to be flinging all that lead downrange, one-shot-one-kill should be my mantra

now I just have to hit the Rod and Gun club this weekend and sight in the 60 and verify it's reliable functioning before I trust it to Coyote-dispatching duties

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
I'm with you MacTech, I'd rather not have to shoot them. They have a purpose and a job to do. But around here, coyotes don't have anything preying on them. So it's either thin them out a bit or let them get a bit out of control. Not only are they a problem for people, small children, pets and live stock but a collision hazard on the highway.

I use a Winchester lever action 30-30 with XS Express Sight Systems - Ghost Ring Sights for coyotes around my property.  Now, I'm shooting them at less then 200 feet (not yards). I wouldn't use a .22, it's my opinion that a .22 is just too under sized for an animal of that size for a reliable one shot humane kill. I want that clean, one shot kill because it's humane. If I'm not reasonably sure I can achieve that, I won't shoot them. It's not out of anger I'm shooting them it's out of a sense of necessity, so I don't want to torture them by maiming them. That's just my opinion, my capabilities and what I'm comfortable with.

My 30-30 with the ghost sights provides me with fast target acquisition and plenty of pop. Generally, I get one shot, that's it. If I miss they get into the woods and I have to wait until they come back out. Some times they are just passing through and I go months and months without seeing another one. Since we don't keep chickens, goats and sheep anymore we don't them as much.

Mike

Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline MacTech

It's funny, I bought the .22 mainly for the coyote-dispatching duties, as it was reccomended by the Maine fish&wildlife people (I just got off the phone with them a second time, still reccomended, but go for either a head or lung shot) and by my sporting goods shop, but I was skeptical last night, and I'm skeptical now, I'm tempted to return it, but then again, it was only $75 and is in decent mechanical shape, I have yet to run rounds through it though, that'll be this weekend, that'll determine if it stays or goes, if it feeds reliably and groups well, I'll keep it, if it jams a lot or has poor accuracy, it'll be returned

I don't have the disposable income to keep buying guns on a whim, and our property is bordered by neighbors to the east, north, and west of us, not crowded mind you, still rural, but I don't think the sound of a large-caliber firearm would be welcomed, it'd probably freak out my sister's horses, a .22 should be fine, especially with Subsonics (for plinking)

so I guess it's back to the 12-gauge or the .357 for coyote-dispatch duties

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
We are pretty lucky, we are surrounded by high banks forming a horseshoe around our property. Only one direction I can't safely shoot ... so I don't. Pretty much we hear gun shots and figure someone is shooting at a coyote or something. Now, where I live you aren't supposed to shoot anything over a shotgun using slugs.. However, it's also at the discretion of local law enforcement, since I can do it safely I have never had a problem.

Don't let me discourage you from using a .22, shot accurately it is obviously a lethal weapon. A  head shot would be my first choice, chest shot if I could get close to the heart then a simple lung shot though that would make me nervous.  Try it and see how you do. The fact that you care means you'll come to a reasonable, safe and humane resolution.

I use Remington Sub-sonics in my Ruger 10/22 and it cycles fine. Though not silent, they don't have the "crack" of a CCI Stinger or anything like that.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline MacTech

Of course, my *ideal* solution to the coyote/coydog problem would be to domesticate it and keep it as a pet, but domesticating an already fully grown adult animal would be difficult, it'd probably be impossible to control all it's wild instincts, pity really :(

the day it lays a paw on the cats or the dog however, all bets are off, humane kills go right out, hopefully it won't come to that, if it would just *leave* the problem would solve itself, but due to the abundant food source (we have our field planted for cow/horse hay, so there are plenty of field mice for it to eat), it has no reason to leave

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
The coyote will most likely avoid the children you are concerned about.  The other animals, I do not know.  Coyote have been a problem here in Ohio for a while.  I really dont like killing somthing that I dont eat but they are a neusance to farmers. If I am asked to eliminate them while on the farmers land I am happy to do them a favor since they are nice enough to let me hunt there.  They are just a target of opportunity.  Get a box of rifled slugs and a box of #4 buckshot.  Make ready with a slug down the pipe backed up with a round of buckshot.  If you get a close shot and you miss with the slug, your next round is buckshot and you probally wont miss with that.  Plus if you want to dispatch an animal quickly buchshot at close range is deadly.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%