Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Field Archery?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Field Archery?
on: September 27, 2007, 12:49:31 PM
Hi guys.

I've been thinking about my plans for 2008 quite a lot of late :) And I really need a new hobby to give me a bit of a break from reality for a while ;D

And I've been thinking about getting back into field archery, the problem is It's been over a decade since I last fired a bow :(, also since that time I've had one or two fairly big motorbike accidents that have left me with a lot of internal scaring around my sternum :( and the last time I went to a mate's house he showed me his latest compound bow, which had a 60 lbs draw weight and an 18 lbs hold weight, needless to say it was a beast >:D

Trouble is after just a couple of pulls, my chest was very aggrevated and hurt quite a bit for the next couple of days (my cute physio told me this would always be the case >:().

So I really don't want to go down the wouse bow route and restrict myself to bows of a round 30lbs nor do I really want to go down the compound route as a lot of field archery site's won't allow there use ::)

There is of course the Crossbow route, but apart from a couple of pistol crossbow's I've got next to no experience with them at all :-\

So I'm stuck for ideas at the moment, I will eventually get around to actually asking my local club what my options are, but I'd like to canvas a bit of knowledge from you guys first :)

So...

...HELP ME PLEASE ;D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Field Archery?
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 01:12:39 PM
Personally I'd go the crossbow route if I were you.  I used to build crossbows when I was a kid, and while all my friends were running around with bows and arrows.  They've always struck me as the epitome of shooting weapons- more advanced than a bow and silent, so superior to a firearm.  Admittedly you don;t have the range of a gun, but if you're hunting then half the fun can come from stalking too!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:18:33 PM
Personally I'd go the crossbow route if I were you.  I used to build crossbows when I was a kid, and while all my friends were running around with bows and arrows.  They've always struck me as the epitome of shooting weapons- more advanced than a bow and silent, so superior to a firearm.  Admittedly you don;t have the range of a gun, but if you're hunting then half the fun can come from stalking too!

Def
It's illegal to hunt with a bow or crossbow in the UK!

We hunt hidden fake animals instead ::) it's not really a problem for me as I've never hunted anyway.

What are the sort of maintanence requirements on a crossbow?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:26:46 PM
I only hunt paper targets myself.  Tastes like crap but they are Atkins friendly! :P

Not much for maintenance since it's a pretty simple machine.  Keep it clean, keep an eye on the string for wear... other than that, it's pretty well good to go.  Plus the nice thing is that it's virtually impossible to accidentally shoot yourself when you are cleaning it! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 01:32:27 PM
I only hunt paper targets myself.  Tastes like crap but they are Atkins friendly! :P

Not much for maintenance since it's a pretty simple machine.  Keep it clean, keep an eye on the string for wear... other than that, it's pretty well good to go.  Plus the nice thing is that it's virtually impossible to accidentally shoot yourself when you are cleaning it! :D

Def
:D :D Thats true!

So what sort of things are out there in crossbow land that I should be looking out for ???

Barnett were the biggest way back when I was a fairly active archer, and I always wanted a Delta storm...

http://www.barnettcrossbows-uk.com/deltastorm.htm

Not the camo one just the ordinary black one :)
deltastormbig.gif
* deltastormbig.gif (Filesize: 15.39 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 02:11:55 PM
That I can't help you with- I haven't looked at them in years either!  With the way everything else has changed in the last ten years, I'm pretty certain what was good the last time I picked one up is as outdated as anything made in the Dark Ages!

Def

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:35:02 PM
That I can't help you with- I haven't looked at them in years either!  With the way everything else has changed in the last ten years, I'm pretty certain what was good the last time I picked one up is as outdated as anything made in the Dark Ages!

Def
I know what you mean, but more troubling than the technology leap is the bloody prices :o :o ::)

Still seems cheaper than paintball though, which used to cost me a fortune ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 02:42:37 PM
Yeah, at least you have the option of re-using bolts!  Getting the paint back into those little balls is a real pain in the butt! :P

Most importantly, make certain that the crossbow you get matches any multitools you may have, or plan to get!  It would be a terrible shame if you had to buy another multi to go along with your new crossbow because the ones you have don't have the implements you need for disassembly, site adjustment, field repair etc! :P

Def

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 02:45:12 PM
Yeah, at least you have the option of re-using bolts!  Getting the paint back into those little balls is a real pain in the butt! :P

Most importantly, make certain that the crossbow you get matches any multitools you may have, or plan to get!  It would be a terrible shame if you had to buy another multi to go along with your new crossbow because the ones you have don't have the implements you need for disassembly, site adjustment, field repair etc! :P

Def
Well there is the gerber archer, which is based on...you guessed it the MP600 ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 02:55:41 PM
I don't believe you.   :pok:

Of course our resident archer, Peter_Lezard seems to like the Vista based on his review:
http://www.multitool.org/leatherman-tool-group/large-tools/leatherman-vista.html

Def

Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 03:01:32 PM
I don't believe you.   :pok:

Of course our resident archer, Peter_Lezard seems to like the Vista based on his review:
http://www.multitool.org/leatherman-tool-group/large-tools/leatherman-vista.html

Def
I'm a swiss nut remember so I'll have to get a set of these instead ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 03:05:17 PM
Significantly cheaper too- I think Felinevet has those for ~$20!

Def

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 03:09:28 PM
Significantly cheaper too- I think Felinevet has those for ~$20!

Def
Then you get to buy a Alox harvester to go with it for the saw and the funkie prunning blade ;Dand not worry too much about them getting wet ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 03:19:55 PM
Why is it I get the feeling that somewhere out there, Tim Leatherman has just doubled over in pain?  :pok:

Def

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 03:46:05 PM
Why is it I get the feeling that somewhere out there, Tim Leatherman has just doubled over in pain?  :pok:

Def
''Behold the power of my mighty voodoo words''

Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 09:33:53 AM
Anyone else have any sugestions ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 02:15:31 PM
No, but I have a list of names and addresses of folks who you can use for target practice!

Def

Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 08:02:29 PM
No, but I have a list of names and addresses of folks who you can use for target practice!

Def
Well when I've worked through my list I'll start on your's >:D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 06:32:21 AM
 Appalachia is the place to be if you love archery.Bow hunting is wildly popular here,as it adds extra time to deer season.Just about all gun shops,sporting goods stores,and outfitters carry some kind of archery gear,some selections are very extensive.
I

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 07:53:46 AM
Sorry I can't help Mickey... Crossbows just don't go "BOOM" loud enough for me to get interested in them :)

Are they're "target shooting" crossbows out there, or are they all for hunting?  Aren't there usually two ways to draw them? (foot loop & crank?) 

You could always try something cheaper too... like blowguns or slings :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 10:02:21 AM
That were you yanks steal a march on us brits again, I'd love to be able to pop in to a gunshop to get some hands on advice, but gunshops a very few and far between over here :cry:

So it's a case of buying blind over the web >:(

As for blowgun's for some stupid reason that I've yet to be able to figure out there illegal >:(, I mean you can have a bow and a crossbow, both of can kill at a very respectable distance, but not a feeble little blowgun with a range of all 10 meters ???

I've had lot's of slingshots >:D just ask my neighbours ;D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 01:36:28 PM

I've had lot's of slingshots >:D just ask my neighbours ;D
             Been paying for broken windows,have we?? :oops:
I

Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 09:56:44 PM
Well yes but it was a loong time ago ;D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 06:13:57 PM
Mickey, try getting a compound bow with a lighter weight.  Bowtech used to make a bow that pulled between 40-50# and it still delievered a lot of energy for its weight.  I have not shot field archery.  I shot 3-D tournaments a lot when I was younger.  I used to be really into it.  I like recurve bows but I have yet to be able to shoot them accurately with a sight.  I despise crossbows.  I had one and the saftey failed while I was hunting.  The limbs snapped and if a bolt had been loaded would have shot me in the foot.  I had missed a doe due to a deflection off of an unseen tree branch.  I cocked the crossbow and when I reached over to grab another bolt to take another shot the string released.  I would say that it was my fault but it was a crossbow that automatically engaged the saftey when the bow was cocked.  I checked the bow and the saftey was in the "on" position but it had fired rendering the bow useless.  I got home checked the sights on my old compound bow and shot a doe the next day.  I didn't need that crossbow after all.   

Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 07:32:01 PM
Thanks for your comments mate, I think what I'llhave to do is go on a range day and have a play with as many weapons as I can and see how I get on :)

Thanks everyone  :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 01:30:10 AM
How about trying to shoot a longbow.  They are relatively cheap compared to compound bows and they do not shock your hand as much as a recurve bow.  The world longbow champion a few years back won his competitions with a bow that pulled only 40#.  A 40# bow is very light compared to what I normally shoot (65#).  My grandfather taught me to shoot a recurve bow when I was about 5 the bow that I shot was 40# of course my draw lngth was shorter then making the bow about 30# or so.  I still have that recurve that he gave me so many years ago.  I might even take it out this season to see if I can take a deer with the first bow that I ever shot. 

Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 11:51:22 AM
How about trying to shoot a longbow.  They are relatively cheap compared to compound bows and they do not shock your hand as much as a recurve bow.  The world longbow champion a few years back won his competitions with a bow that pulled only 40#.  A 40# bow is very light compared to what I normally shoot (65#).  My grandfather taught me to shoot a recurve bow when I was about 5 the bow that I shot was 40# of course my draw lngth was shorter then making the bow about 30# or so.  I still have that recurve that he gave me so many years ago.  I might even take it out this season to see if I can take a deer with the first bow that I ever shot. 
Cheers mate' I might just give that a go, just got to finacially survive christmas first ;D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 11:16:38 PM
Survive it?  It hasnt even come yet.  You got plenty of time to get a bow and all the goodies before Dec 24. >:D  Come one, man all the cool kids are doing it.

Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 11:20:46 PM
Survive it?  It hasnt even come yet.  You got plenty of time to get a bow and all the goodies before Dec 24. >:D  Come one, man all the cool kids are doing it.
:D :D :D If you knew how big my shoping list was you wouldn't be saying that ;D

Trust me Santa hates me this time of year when he finds out how much crap he's got to deliver on my behalf :o :o

If I get one now it'll have to be a crappy training bow for about £20!, If I wait till after christmas, I'll be able (hopefully) to get something halfway decent :)

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 08:24:17 PM
If you don't want to go compound, what about a Mongol- or horse-bow? Smooth, fast and they feel like a compound in the draw (a bit) with the weight dropping off as you draw it. Quicks have a few different ones; http://www.quicks.com/pdf/pdf12to27.pdf (second page down).

They take a bit of getting used to after a 'normal' recurve or compound, but it's worth trying. Nice and short for field as well.

Don't suppose you're left-handed by any chance, are you?  ;)
C

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD