Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitasker Series2, first impressions

J-sews · 49 · 12730

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Multitasker Series2, first impressions
on: October 19, 2010, 04:56:18 AM

Within the first 60 seconds of handling a second generation Multitasker, you’ll be seriously impressed. By the time five minutes of playing and fiddling have elapsed, you’ll be realizing that you’ve never handled a more precisely made, more exquisitely built, more ruggedly constructed multitool, ever. The quality is that good.

And it’s not just ordinary quality either, but top-of-the-line, spare-no-expense, best-component-possible type quality we’re talking about here.

Let’s start with the pliers for instance.

They are made from D2 tool steel, not pathetically soft stainless steel. There’s no need for hardened tool steel wire cutter inserts when the entire head is made from tool steel. And the halves aren’t cast to size and belt sanded like everyone else does either; they’re CNC machine cut from billet, which makes for perfect jaw to jaw alignment. Check out the pictures – there’s nary a gap to be found anywhere.

What the pictures don’t show, but what a person handling the Multitasker first notices, is how silky smooth the plier action is. It’s like this thing pivots on air. Except that it’s not air, it’s a precision roller bearing, a feature I’ve not seen before on any plier tool, multifunction or otherwise.

No wiggle, no wobble, no play of any sort. Not a hint of drag, nor the slightest suggestion of grating between the jaw halves, even under heavy pressure.

Gee, a roller bearing plier pivot, why didn’t I think of that??

One last note about the pliers; the D2 steel is not corrosion resistant, meaning it would be susceptible to rust, were it not given a Mellonite/Tufftride treatment, which is far superior to ordinary black oxide I’m told. Yet another example of the spare no expense manufacturing evident throughout.

Blade layout on the Multitasker is conventional outside-opening, making all functions available without the need to unfold the tool.

The knife blade for example is a tanto style, one hand opener via thumb stud, and liner locking. Blade length is 2.5 inches.

Now I will admit to having both likes and dislikes in regards to the lock. I disliked, for instance, the fact that I had to reach across in front of the blade with my right thumb to disengage the lock. It can be done readily enough, but the potential for bleeding is a there.

(The lock can also be disengaged with the left hand, but that takes away from the utility of a true one-hand blade obviously)

On the plus side, I really liked seeing the staked ball in the liner lock, instead of the raised bump more commonly seen on other OHO tools.

Another subtle but important feature is the “lip” ground into the flat on the knife blade. Even if the liner engagement wears in or wears out over time, this lip prevents it from overtraveling, preventing a potentially dangerous situation from occurring. Well done Multitasker.

Other blades in this handle include a 3/8” box wrench, a file with 5/16” flat screwdriver, and a spanner wrench for emergency tightening of the castle nut on an M4 firearm stock. (All of which snap open and snap shut like a bank vault by the way.)

Now while I’m sure you M4 – M16 – AR15 shooters will appreciate the hell out of those wrenches, I can’t really vouch for their usefulness. Friends tell me that both will come in extremely handy at the range or in the field, so I’ll leave it at that for now. What I am qualified to say is that these tools, like everything else on the Multitasker, are cut impressively clean and crisp, as would be expected with objects machined from billet.

The opposite handle houses a carbon scraper (complete with thumb stud for fast opening), a dental pick, and a ¼” hex driver.

The hex driver doesn’t look like a hex driver, because it has a special A2 style front sight adjustment bit in it at the moment.

But the sight adjustment tool pops right out (held in place by a magnet) and…

…in its place you can substitute any of the bits included in the clever plastic carrying kit, or any other standard ¼” bit for that matter.

As regards the dental pick, it spins right off, revealing a #8-32 threaded stud, which is in turn intended to mate up to the end of an OTIS bore cleaning kit/cable.

Last but not least is the carbon scraper tool, which can be a real life saver I imagine, as carbon build up on the inner workings of an automatic weapon is oftentimes the root cause of said weapon’s failure.

Ready for more subtle features? We’ve talked previously about the bronze washers between each blade, which contribute hugely to how slick they all function. And that integral lanyard attachment point (pictured previously) How cool is that?

But how about those SwissTool-like individual backspring fingers?

Not a Multitasker innovation certainly, but a good case of identifying the best system out there and incorporating it into a new tool.

Oops, and I almost forgot to mention that like the Series1 Multitasker, the Series2 is also clad in G10 handle scales. G10 phenolic has been used on the best knives for years because of its toughness and ability to give the user a sure grip in slippery conditions, but Multitasker was the first to use it on a multitool.

As for ease of carry, the Series2 comes complete with a heavy duty pouch, which is fully molle compatible of course.

So what’s not to like about the new Multitasker? Not much. It’s a bit on the thick and wide side, but not horribly so. Weight comes in at a solid 11oz (314g). Certainly the biggest factor though in whether the tool appeals to you or not is the blade selection. As configured, the Series2 is a niche tool designed specifically for owners of a certain weapons class.

Which is why I for one am hoping a general-purpose EDC Multitasker is in the near future for the rest of us. :salute:

So in the mean time….

:cheers:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:08:26 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: Multitasker Series2, first impressions
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:54 AM
Excellent review Bob,as a 32 year master mechanic,a quality tool is worth its weight in gold in an emergence,especially if your life depends on it. :salute:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:23:27 AM
Well I for one will be saving up for the first non bang bang Multitasker  :gimme: :gimme:.
Man alive Roller Bearing pivot  :o :o 8) 8) , it is sounding more like a dragster engine's bottom end than a MT  :D :D.
I have often wondered why MT makers do not have the tapered edge on their blades for the linner lock like a lot of knife makers have. I own quite a few LM's & Victornox's who's linner locks engage on the outside edge of the blade with no room for wear  >:(.

Boy it is looking very very good & it is a bit cool to be witnessing a significant raising of the bar in the quality specs of MT's 8) 8) .

BRILLIANT stuff Shane  :salute: :salute: keep up the good work Dave  :pok: :pok: :D :D.

BTW given how hard the steel is in the Multitasker when compared to most MT's is replaceable wire cutters really needed  :think: :think:.
Not that I am complaining about my Multitasker having replaceable cutters , it is just that I want one now & the extra development time is a killer  :D :D :D

Thanks for the great pics & review Bob  :cheers: :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:04:06 AM
A great review Bob and a fine looking multitool. Really nice pics of those stunning pliers.
"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:32:42 AM
Fantastic review and pictures Bob.  Now every eagerly awaiting the EDC version.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:47:05 PM
Looks like such an amazingly well built tool. Something would have to go horribly wrong for the EDC version to not be one of he best multis ever made. I really hope we get as well though out a tool selection as this version has, because it's clear how much consideration went into the engineering in this thing. Such incredible attention to ever last detail, with very few compromises made.

Don't suppose there's any word on what kind of loadout we can expect from the EDC version? I hope it's something at least approaching the completeness of the Swisstool/ Spirit, because that kind of versatility with this kind of build quality would be unbelievably awesome. BTW, think glasses driver, I know most people hate 'em but that's the only thing that keeps me from carrying a full size multi more often, I need that mini-driver all the time.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 08:29:09 PM
Three words: civilian version PLEASE! :pok: :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:13:52 PM
Very well written Bob. Bang up job.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:37:59 PM
Great review and some dang fine pics too Bob.. :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:55:01 PM
Damn fine review and pic's Bob  :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:12:17 AM
Looks like such an amazingly well built tool. Something would have to go horribly wrong for the EDC version to not be one of he best multis ever made. I really hope we get as well though out a tool selection as this version has, because it's clear how much consideration went into the engineering in this thing. Such incredible attention to ever last detail, with very few compromises made.

Don't suppose there's any word on what kind of loadout we can expect from the EDC version? I hope it's something at least approaching the completeness of the Swisstool/ Spirit, because that kind of versatility with this kind of build quality would be unbelievably awesome. BTW, think glasses driver, I know most people hate 'em but that's the only thing that keeps me from carrying a full size multi more often, I need that mini-driver all the time.

The only tidbit I've heard so far is that a multi-size wrench blade (with a cut-out similar to what we've seen on Atwood and many other one-piece tools) would be part of the mix.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline e17

• SOG! SOG! SOG!
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 05:58:20 AM
Hi,

Nice review and pix. :drool:

Is it possible to remove a broken tool, like on SOG? I can see an hex screw in the axle...
The dental pick... must have other utility. I cannot imagine playing in my mouth with such a thing. ???

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 06:19:02 AM

The only tidbit I've heard so far is that a multi-size wrench blade (with a cut-out similar to what we've seen on Atwood and many other one-piece tools) would be part of the mix.

That could be handy, and I've often wondered when one would show up on a multi (not counting the alligator wrench on some Wengers). It does seem a bit redundant with the (awesome) pliers, but I could def. see some advantages to having it. Kinda hope the EDC version gets a different knife too, as Tanto, while looking cool as Hell and being all stabby-stabby, isn't so great for general utility. And again- mini driver. I hate when I have decide not to carry a large multi only because it lacks such a crucial tool to me.

us Offline David

Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 06:24:07 AM
Excellent review Bob!!!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 01:19:19 PM
Hi,

Nice review and pix. :drool:

Is it possible to remove a broken tool, like on SOG? I can see an hex screw in the axle...
The dental pick... must have other utility. I cannot imagine playing in my mouth with such a thing. ???

No the tools are not able to be swapped or replaced by the user. I had already asked Shane about this possibility and he mentioned thread lock I think plus some really tight tolerances and it's a pain to put together. He only wants certain folks to do it. Course, we can say the same thing about Leatherman and we still take their tools apart, it's only a matter of time.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 01:24:35 PM

Wrench huh? Wondering where that idea came from  ;) It's going to be designed more like the bottle opener tool Grant just bought or the Guitar tool I just got. The style of wrench opening takes up less room than the style used in the Atwood tools or the Pocket Wrench for instance. Stepped vertical increments takes less room than the angled slope with teeth. We think anyways, we need something to compensate for the needle nose pliers. Shane is almost set on the pliers, he doesn't want the head to be like a standard multitool. He feels it would weaken the head design too much. Eventually he may do a traditional style head but for now it's not on the board. I don't think anyways, still working on stuff and so much is being changed and adjusted. I will keep you guys posted with whatever I can say about the new tool.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 03:55:49 PM

Wrench huh? Wondering where that idea came from  ;) It's going to be designed more like the bottle opener tool Grant just bought or the Guitar tool I just got. The style of wrench opening takes up less room than the style used in the Atwood tools or the Pocket Wrench for instance. Stepped vertical increments takes less room than the angled slope with teeth. We think anyways, we need something to compensate for the needle nose pliers. Shane is almost set on the pliers, he doesn't want the head to be like a standard multitool. He feels it would weaken the head design too much. Eventually he may do a traditional style head but for now it's not on the board. I don't think anyways, still working on stuff and so much is being changed and adjusted. I will keep you guys posted with whatever I can say about the new tool.

Any idea if it would be compatible with both SAE and Metric? Having only one or the other is a big hindrance to a lot of potential customers, especially in the US since we use a lot of both here. Having a tool that I can only potentially use on half the bolts I encounter would be a pretty big issue, especially if he does leave out the full sized pliers area. SAE only means anyone outside the US may find it almost completely useless. Metric only makes the most sense really, but could still be aggravating.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Re: Multitasker Series2, first impressions
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 05:00:10 PM
Like I said, we're still working out the details. With the stepped design it packs sizes in a small space but your limited on the number off sizes. With the pocket wrench 2 option you get both with the design but its rather wide. Shane would rather the wrench be part of the overall design and yet removable. Its hard cause its gong to probably be too wide for the plier handles., I would have it separate but he didn't want it to see like an after thought. A lot of brain storming going on, any ideas we can use?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 05:20:42 PM
All that I can suggest is something akin to the Paladin/SOG models with the hex bolt cutouts on the handles; while not removable, that's the closest thing I can think of. :/

Perhaps it would be best to have the wrench as a separate piece; just because the bit carrier is separate doesn't make it look like an afterthought, after all. :tu:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 05:30:17 PM
The width is quite an issue. I agree its better integrated since the point of a multi is to get maximum utility in one item, not filling your pockets or a sheath with a bunch of different tools, may as well just carry the "right" tools then. What is the overall size intended to be? Wave/Charge sized, or something closer to the Powerlock/ Swisstool? Looking at the Series II, there's clearly a lot of potential in the design for a really heavy duty tool, something approaching the ST200 size class might make a lo of sense, which would then alleviate "some" of the spacing constraints.

Only thing I can think of is having a slot opposite of each other in each handle. The wrench could slide into one side or the other, and when you close the handles, the second slot covers the remaining half of the tool forming a storage compartment of sorts, meaning you could use the entire width of the tool, not just one handle. Downside is it'd be uncomfortable to use the pliers without first removing the wrench, but I'd still rather have a slightly-inconvenient-sometimes-on-board storage system than an annoying-all-the-time-having-to-carry-a-second-tool-around system. Imagine the slots in the handle of a Wave, but facing inwards towards one another when the tool is closed, the space created becomes your storage compartment. With the rest of the tools being outside opening, it would only ever be an issue when using the (still amazing) pliers, and realistically if you are using the pliers there's a fair chance you may need to be using the wrench at the same time any way.

Speaking of the pliers, I understand wanting to leave off the standard section, but then doesn't that just make the current design seem way overbuilt for just a set of needle-nose? Feels like a missed opportunity to have probably the best pliers head on the market. That alone could be a massive selling point. I think you should nudge Shane to include a standard section. I know he wants it to stand out, but I'm pretty sure the ball-bearing system and full D2 billet already do that just fine lol.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:31:57 PM by thebullfrog »

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 05:34:08 PM
Great photos and review, thanks for sharing!  That is a nice looking multitool. :tu:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 05:39:10 PM
Saz makes a good point: I forgot it already has a separate bit holder for the driver that I'm pretty positive will be in the EDC (I hope lol), so in that case I suppose the wrench may as well be separate, maybe engineer a new bit holder that can accommodate the wrench as well and call it a day. Leaves more room on the tool itself for more implements.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 05:57:18 PM
Saz makes a good point: I forgot it already has a separate bit holder for the driver that I'm pretty positive will be in the EDC (I hope lol), so in that case I suppose the wrench may as well be separate, maybe engineer a new bit holder that can accommodate the wrench as well and call it a day. Leaves more room on the tool itself for more implements.

Actually, I rather like the looks of the current bit holder, personally.  I'd just suggest adding a slip pocket behind the multitool on the sheath. :tu:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 06:15:45 PM
I like the current bit holder too, but I (and a lot of other people) also don't like sheath carry any more these days. If I had to I could live with the tool and bit holder in my pocket, but having three separate items would start to get old, especially since I tend to carry a lot of crap in my pocket anyway. It wouldn't really need to change much, just add in a clip on one side for the wrench to slide into. You could retain the same basic design.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 11:08:30 PM
Wow, great head  :o

Nice review Bob and top pics :tu:

Soooo its not meant to be taken apart....  :rofl:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 12:16:34 AM
I agree with Neil (I think)  :think:

Damn fine looking head and generally rather lovely tool. I think a civilian version would rock  :gimme:

Excellent review Bob, thank you  :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 02:31:10 AM
An EDC version would need to have a large-toothed gripping section in the pliers, no question about it. :salute: (we just need to keep :pok:-ing the designer until he caves in to our superior reasoning! :D)  But it needs to be a truly outstanding gripping section, to go along with the rest of the tool, right? :)

For instance, here's how NOT to do it:

Even compound leverage can't make up for poorly made gripping teeth. ::)

Now here is an example of the correct way to make a plier's midsection:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 05:15:00 AM
Wow, those are some aggressive teeth.

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 08:47:11 PM
Even if there were a stair-step wrench built in, needle-nose-only pliers do not appeal to me.  I use the grippy middle section on lots of things other than nuts.  If forced to choose, I'd rather have that section than wire cutters.

I'm also a little blah on the tanto blade, but it would have less effect on my decision to buy one.  A good tanto blade cuts well, I just prefer a knife with a belly for general use.  That being said, a tanto can act a lot like a Wharncliffe, and they're fine utility knives as well.  As long as the ding-dong blade is locking and OHO, I can live with it.

Sorry if we sound like picky beeeoches, but this tool has the potential to be best of class, and I think everyone has a bit of emotional stake in it, having seen the firearms tools "grow up" here.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:36 PM
Very pretty.  Can't wait to see what the civilian version looks like.

Also, it's nice to see a multitool company actually take advantage of Chinese manufacturing (ie. good quality possible at a cost very low compared to US-made stuff) like Kershaw and Spyderco have done with knives.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%