Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Interesting bit for the LM Charge 5889

Sr. Member Posts: 291
Interesting bit for the LM Charge
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:41:07 PM »
Hi, found these pictures on a russian webpage, but I have no idea what kind of bit they made for the LM Charge, any ideas??

Guillermo

<
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,448 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Interesting bit for the LM Charge
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:45:49 PM »
That is pretty interesting...  I can't say as I have ever seen that before.  I'll have to check with a Russian Moderator at KF and see if he has any ideas on what that is.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Sr. Member Posts: 291
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:51:22 PM »
Def, here is the link to that page, I think it's a review of the tool and other things, they have great pictures. I hope that you friend can help us.

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/LeathermanCharge.html

Thanks
Guillermo

<
No Life Club Posts: 1,567 4x4 since '74
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 12:00:32 AM »
Hi, found these pictures on a russian webpage, but I have no idea what kind of bit they made for the LM Charge, any ideas??

Looks like a punchdown and wire stripper as found on the Paladin PowerPlay tools:

http://www.powerplaytools.com/gallery.php

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass
Sr. Member Posts: 422
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:54:44 AM »
Yes its for pushing telephone wires in, what I find just as interesting it has a standard security Torx screws.

Dave
Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:57:25 AM »
It looks like a mecto ynopa to me.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
Sr. Member Posts: 338
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 04:03:13 AM »
I think its a MIIO.
Full Member Posts: 113 were in dagestan , and make knives ..
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 03:34:23 PM »
That is pretty interesting...  I can't say as I have ever seen that before.  I'll have to check with a Russian Moderator at KF and see if he has any ideas on what that is.

Def

hi defender,, , greeting from russia :)
ok yup it is a  tool used in telecomunications, splicing and punching or pressing the relay contacts..
the owner seems to be working in this feild and uses it for his job,
the tool was removed from a factory made tool made for this work ,

on another rnote was actualy have one or two russian multi tools,

the factory saro makes some rasther crude ones , porly made, not as bad as anythign chinese , but badly finished, they are more as the old sog pliers,, and if i recll made form carbon steel, they seem to be not to common,

then  theres NOKS,,  which is a company that is selling military knives , it has no factory, (i think it is a unique exsample in russia, as , unlike the us , most nearly all knife companies here make  there own knives, )

the owner , skrilev, is ort of a tamed down russian lyn thompson, and noks is sort of a russian cold steel,
NOKS , loosely translates to knives designed by skrilev,,
 anyway , he has designed several multi tools,,
one has a folding dagger blade
and some other tools, they are much larger than the normal multi tools,,
ive never used one , so i cant comment on the quality,
but nnks has very un stable quality, some knives are quite good , others horrid, and many times the price is to high ,
the site with the leather man review also has a review on one of these knives,

also there was some time back a multi tool made in poland for demolition troops,,
it is a solid thing , with a massive automatic blade,, realy solid, it is about 4 times the size of a  multi tool!!! 

m
Sr. Member Posts: 338
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 07:38:15 PM »
Great post ausjulius!  :)

Thanks for that rundown on multis that we have never seen. Hope you keep in touch with us and maybe even post some pics in the furture. I know people would love to see anything from Russia. Even if its a Leatherman or other common multi. Just cool to have someone with the same interest post from that part of the world.

Any carry problems in Russia concerning weapons, blades ect?/ What are the laws like and the police that enforce them compared to the states???
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,448 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 09:27:49 PM »
Glad to see you made it here!  I have seen pictures of that Polish tool- it's pretty massive from what I remember.  I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those too...

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 02:09:34 AM »
Is this the Polish tool you guys are talking about? I've seen pictures, but never an actual tool.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 02:32:12 AM »
That's the one I've seen.  I don't know if that's the same one Ausjulius is talking about.

Def

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 02:36:43 AM »
but nnks has very un stable quality, some knives are quite good , others horrid, and many times the price is to high ,
the site with the leather man review also has a review on one of these knives.........

I'd like to see one of these Russian multi tools, but I can't seem to find the review anywhere on the Russian website.   ???

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »
Great post ausjulius!  :)

Thanks for that rundown on multis that we have never seen. Hope you keep in touch with us and maybe even post some pics in the furture. I know people would love to see anything from Russia. Even if its a Leatherman or other common multi. Just cool to have someone with the same interest post from that part of the world.

Any carry problems in Russia concerning weapons, blades ect?/ What are the laws like and the police that enforce them compared to the states???

ok ill get some pictures,

ok , here in dagestan ,  may people carry guns are weaponry on them selves,, most commonly are localy made copies of makarovs, also old military issue makarovs and tokarevs,,
there is also many other  pistols from ww2, lugers , ppks ,, various czech guns, p38s , ect ect, lots of these were taken back from europe after ww2, as many dagestani nationals served in ww2,,
mostly during communisim they were just hidden in houses and trophys, but in the 90s with a break down with law and order carrying a knife or pistol became common place, also now people just like to have them , andi think if the law didnt prohibit it most men would carry a large knife or gun,
the police normaly will not check you for weaponry here  but only look for defects in your car to make money form you , however , if there has been any armed incerdent , a assult by criminals or bandints on a military of police position , a bombing or a bank ropperie then they will search you and your car and anyhting even small knives they will try to make a problem for you over,
in dagestan and russia ,, if you are found to have a cold weapon classed knife,, (one that has a serial number on it , and is classed as a weapon) they will mostlikely steal it from you , as most police  like knives, and woudl want it for them selves, so woudl be ok and just say you must pay a small fine, 200 rubles or so,, about 7$ ,, it all depends on the guy , but most dont care if you have a knife or not, they are more interested if you will pay them money to leave you alone,

the knives you can carry are,
knives under 2.5mm thick in blade,
knives with no gurad for the hand and of any thickness and any length,
knives under 9cm blade and with a guard for the hand,
folding knives , multi tools and  pen knives,
these may be carried as you wish ,
but carring a large fixed blade wether allowed to or not , will incite the police to hassel you ,
the knives with aserial number may not be carried and need a gun licence or a special permit to buy,

in moscow or in the more russian areas carring a gun or a knife is very uncommon, well, people would carry a pen knife or  maybe a  multitool or such , but a gun or a large hunting knife not,
as they say in russia the "wild south"
leatherman is popular with those who can afford them here, but they cost a deal more than in the us, i havent seen them for sale in dagestan , but maybe one or two big supermarkets  in the capital or one of the gun or military equiptment shops has them ,,,  
but here is kizlyar i dont think anyone woudl know what they are :) but in the bazar you can get the chinese copies for afew$, most are rather shoddy,

m
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 05:59:53 PM »
the site with the leather man review also has a review on one of these knives.........

I'd like to see one of these Russian multi tools, but I can't seem to find the review anywhere on the Russian website.   ???

ok here is a picture from the makers site, ill try to find the review, ok ,

m
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 07:07:44 PM »
ah yes the polish knife is the one shown , but i think there was one or two other experimential modles,
ok here is some more pictures of the noks monster :)
also saro makes something like this but ist not great .
22.64 kB | 350x102

m
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »
her eis two mor e, smaller pictures of the multi tools by noks,
22.64 kB | 350x102 18.78 kB | 350x156

m
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »
Have you got a source on those giant Polish tools?

I wouldn't mind getting a hold of one (or more) if the price is reasonable.

Def

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 09:17:30 PM »
Have you got a source on those giant Polish tools?

I wouldn't mind getting a hold of one (or more) if the price is reasonable.

Def
hi,, hmm that is a good one , gerlach or radom produced them , gerlach still kames knives for the army, maybe email them and ask,,
www.gerlach.pl 
also the poles have some knife forums, dont remember the addreses of them but ill look , aswell many were imported to the u.s. but i think now they sell for 400 or 500 $ or more, :O
ill look for ya,
best place would be on apolish militaria forum or email a polish military equiptment shop and ask them ,

m
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 11:52:12 PM »
...............ok here is some more pictures of the noks monster :)
also saro makes something like this but ist not great .

Does noks or saro have a website?

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 03:08:50 PM »
yes , but i think neither are now working
ill look if they have another site or such,,

m
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 09:47:12 PM »
yes , but i think neither are now working
ill look if they have another site or such,,

Thank you! Or if you know of another way I could obtain tools from either company, please let me know.

(Even though you say the quality can sometimes be bad, I would like to add them to my collection if possible.)

~Bob

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2006, 08:49:11 PM »
hi, yes i guess  you could thing is they want 7000 rubles for the multi tools, noks that  is, this is  quite alot, and i think the plier head is titanium, so it isnt a very good plier,, ill  find ther econtact details and post them  there later, also i think ther eis one shop in finland which had them once, ill see,
they are a copy ,, in some ways of a multi tool sog made some time back, one thing is the main blade is a liner lock, and is  double sided :O
interesting thing,

m
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2006, 11:06:52 PM »
Thank you! Any contact details you can find would be helpful.

Yes I see it looks a bit like the SOG ToolClip. Very interesting indeed.

No Life Club Posts: 1,603
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »
Hmm the picture in the first post in this thread aroused my curiosity.

If you have something like a bit driver, does anyone produce custom made bits that are not realted to screwdriver tasks?

Could you have a bit that allows you to take out small nails like a wedge on a hammer (or would the application of sideways force be likely to damage the tool??
Could you have a bit that does the job of an awl?
Just two quick examples of the top of my head.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but wouldnt this stuff work? Im thinking you could make a lot of potential tools to fit in the bit driver as long as they dont need a sawing motion that could pull the bit out. As long as you are pushing with it, wouldnt it work?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »
I guess I never thought about that before....but why not? Sure, maybe a bit with a chisel/scraper on the end of it too. There have been occasions where something like that would have been handy.

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »
excellent, so an awl and chisel/scraper are perfect example of non-screwdriver bits that could work in the bit holder.

Also, wouldnt it be possible to have some kind of contraption to extend the reach of the screwdriver bits? So if we consider the end of the bit that goes into the bit driver to be male, and the bit driver to be female, then the contraption would have a male end to slot int othe bit driver, and a female end on its other side, but would be some 5 cm long for example. This would allow you to slot the extender into the bit driver, and a bit into its end, and give you a greater reach for the screwdriver bits.

Would it work?
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 09:50:25 PM »
Leatherman was giving a limited number of these bit driver extensions away last year. I'm not sure if it was a promotion, or maybe they were just testing the waters? Anyhow, the claim is that this extension will become a regular catalog accessory sometime soon.

Also, I've read where a couple guys have taken ordinary hex extensions, then flattened the hex (using a grinder) so that it will fit into the bit holder on the Charge.

Both of these extension ideas work I suppose, but with two "connections" it seems like the whole extension would be sorta wobbly. Better I think would be to just use an extended length bit itself and grind flats on it, so that it would fit directly into the Leatherman bit driver.

I think the same would go for the chisel idea or the awl idea; just make the bit itself longer, instead of a wobbly extension.

~Bob

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 11:08:41 PM »
That bit extender is exactly what I had in mind. The reason why I think I would prefer the slightly wobbly extender over elongated bits themselves is because unless leatherman (or anyone else) produces a set of these, there won't be the same versatility as being able to fit the already made small bits in the extender.

In regards to the chisel and awl, I wouldnt think an extender would be necessary, these aren't tools that have great reach on any multitool i've seen, and having them as a bit that clips into the bit driver would already give them sufficient length.

Now if only these were made...
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »
any more ideas of tools that could be made to fit the bit holder?

Also any ideas on how easy it would be to then make these? What it would require?

Would Leatherman themselves be willing to do this? Would add more versatility to any of their tools with a bit holder.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $109.46
PayPal Fees: $6.30
Net Balance: $103.16
Below Goal: $196.84
Site Currency: USD
34%