Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Genus Pics

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Genus Pics
on: September 29, 2007, 01:32:13 AM
I just saw these...
http://www.leathermanlibrary.com/thumbnails.php?album=63

Looks nice to me, I'm going to guess this one does well. :)

* Genus_beauty.jpg (Filesize: 90.02 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Re: Genus Pics
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:34:38 AM
A view of the rotating handle...

* Genus_Rotating.jpg (Filesize: 127.08 KB)

Offline zackhugh

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 01:37:32 PM
I'm hadn't previously gotten into these gardening multitools, but was sort of intrigued by the Hybrid.  I think this Genus looks like a real winner though.  I'll probably have to get one now.  Pretty cool looking.  O0  Thanks for the pics.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 02:01:37 PM
Not to question the how of the rotating handle, but the why....Why do you suppose they made the handle rotate? Seems like the blades could have just unfolded like they do from any conventional multitool...?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 02:09:07 PM
The whole thing seems somewhat awkward to me, and I can't help but think they might have been just as far ahead to stick with the Vista/Hybrid design?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 09:40:24 PM
Not to question the how of the rotating handle, but the why....Why do you suppose they made the handle rotate? Seems like the blades could have just unfolded like they do from any conventional multitool...?

Is it because if you're squeezing hard to cut a thick branch, the individual tools from an outside opening multi won't dig into your hand?  Was this really ever an issue using your own Hybrid/Vista?  Geez, I hadn't even thought of why the handle should rotate.  I hope it's not simply for gadgetry reasons.  Of course, I'll still probably get one regardless...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 10:37:45 PM
No problems with my Hybrid.  In fact, it has cut larger branches that I ever expected it to, and it did it easily.  I never felt like the handles would break at any point.

And of course it has the saw if you want to cut branches any bigger than that.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 11:15:39 PM
It looks like the blade tips are prevented from opening on the Genus until the handle is rotated? I suppose this makes the blades more secure, although I never had a problem with the blades on my Vista popping out accidentally.

*sigh* guess we'll have to wait until they are available firsthand before we'll know for sure.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 11:26:48 PM
I think part of the reason for the rotating handle is so that the tools don't dig into your hand while you squeeze it.  The other reason I can think of is so that when you're using the tools in the handle, the knife and saw will be facing the outside of the tool (like the Spirit blades) as opposed to facing the inside of the tool, like some of the older multi's.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 01:12:51 AM
I obviously don't know any more than the rest of you, but I'd also think it's so that the grip surface is smooth. The Genus seems more like a pruner with some tools attatched, as opposed to the others which seem more like multi-tools with a pruner. With the rotating handle, there's nothing to really remind you that you're not using an ordinary pruner, which will probably apeal to a section of the market. Just my guess...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 03:14:47 AM
That is a good way of looking at it I suppose. You're probably right.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 03:50:22 AM
Do we know the street price on these yet?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 03:59:50 AM
When I google it, there are retail prices shown from $72 on up to $90. CrocMultitools is a reputable company I have dealt with before. They show the Genus for $81.88, with availability scheduled for 12/31/07

Here's what their blurb says:

9 tools in one. 6061-T6 anodized aluminum body. 8.50 in. overall length. Features: Bypass pruners, soft-wire cutters, clip point knife, saw, sprinkler adjustment key, Phillips screwdriver, flat screwdriver, bottle opener, diamond-coated file, open-end wrench. Rotating & locking handle, all-locking blades, and a nylon sheath.

I'm still not seeing this diamond coated file & open end wrench?

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 04:05:37 AM
Thanks. :) I guess that's a little late for Christmas, huh ::)

I'm still not seeing this diamond coated file & open end wrench?
I'm guessing the file is one the side of the flat screwdriver ??? and I'm totally clueless on the wrench...

Offline SoDak

Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 11:37:50 PM
Regarding where the file and wrench are, the answer can be found here http://www.gemplers.com/shop/toolsequipment/handtools/147037.html

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 11:45:38 PM
Regarding where the file and wrench are, the answer can be found here http://www.gemplers.com/shop/toolsequipment/handtools/147037.html

Ahhh, I see now. Thanks SoDak!  :)

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 02:57:38 AM
There's the answer we've been looking for! Also on that link I read the description of the tool, which kinda confirmed my suspicion that the Genus was aimed at the professional market that is used to using priners and who might see the folding tools as gimmicky:
Featuring an industry first, this new pruner has a rotating handle that stores a full set of professional tools. Just push the button and flip the handle around to access the knife, Phillips® screwdriver, sprinkler head adjustment tool/flat screwdriver, bottle opener and a very aggressive saw. When pruning is all you need, the tools are neatly tucked away and the comfort-sculpted design makes acres of work feel like inches. The heat-treated, anodized aluminum body gives the Genus™ an optimal balance of weight, durability, and corrosion resistance. Includes a diamond-coated file for pruner sharpening, an open-end wrench for pruner adjustment, as well as a nylon sheath for storage. Tool measures 8-1/2" long. Backed with Leatherman's 25-year warranty.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 03:14:52 AM
Interesting stuff.

I must admit, I'm starting to think they've done their market research homework on this one. As I drive around town, there are countless landscaping and outdoor maintenance trucks everywhere I go. All the malls and restaurants and banks and factories have contracted their landscaping out to professionals. There must be a dozen Outdoor Maintenance firms in our little town alone.

I'll bet you all of those guys would be interested in the Genus.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 03:26:52 AM
I just hope it's worth people's $$$. I looked over the rest of that site, and the most expensive pair I could find was just of $50 and the cheapest was about $5, while the Genus is $90. Of course there's the battery powered one for $1,598.50... ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 06:15:05 PM
Here is the Press Release for the Genus:

http://www.multitool.org/images/stories/Tool_pics/Leatherman_PDF/Genus%20PR%2006-07.pdf

I have some pictures too, but they are BIG.

Ordinarily I wouldn't post such HUGE pictures, but since we are looking at details, this seemed the best way to find them!

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 01:30:14 AM
One thing I've been wondering about: Those screwdrivers look real nice, but can you imagine using them!?!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 01:40:22 AM
That's why I probably would have stuck to the Hybrid/Vista type folding design.  But then, they drive nicer cars than I do, so they much know what they are doing!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 02:44:54 AM
That's why I probably would have stuck to the Hybrid/Vista type folding design.  But then, they drive nicer cars than I do, so they much know what they are doing!

Def

I dunno about that. They named it Genus...... ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%