Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why is MT.O the best?

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Why is MT.O the best?
on: October 24, 2010, 12:19:30 AM
So I've been visiting some other forums and I've decided why I like MT.O the best. Here are the reasons:

1. Really good software. We don't have do a CAPTCHA to search and the forum works well. Notice how few double posts we have compared to other forums.
2. Really good job with the ads. The ads don't take over the page and they are for sites I actually want to visit.
3. We can post links to whatever we want. The mods don't get mad when we post links to places to buy the products we are talking about because they know it's not spam.
4. Everybody can get into the trade forums. On some sites, I just want to see what people are selling or check prices for things. I understand that the minimum post rules are to protect people, but that should be up to the buyer or seller.
5. People don't get mad when people don't use search.
6. Nobody gets banned for stupid stuff. I can only think of two nonspammers who were banned.
7. There are lots of giveaways. Not that I ever win...

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Why is MT.O the best?
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:24:54 AM
Mostly, I like the smilies.  :D

:ahhh

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:47:26 AM
I'm glad it works for you- here's my thoughts on your comments, just for the fun of it!  :D

1- To those who complain about the software we use, I respectfully thumb my nose at you.  Nyah.  :D

2- Ads are an important thing to me- I don't believe in just selling ad space and figuring that it's up to members to find out if they are any good or not.  I simply won't sell ad space to a company that isn't willing to work with people.  Which is why we have so few ads....

3- Links are a sticky subject here and on every other site on the 'net.  It's a fine line, and we try to do what works best for us.  I'm glad that it seems to work.

4- Trade forums are like the ads and links- a very difficult subject to manage properly.  The various Mods and I have had many discussions on how best to run them, especially now that we are trying to promote EDCSource.  The consensus at the moment is that they are a valuable part of the forum here, and have worked well for over 4 years now, so why mess with them?

5- We are here to talk about multitools.  Regardless of whether a question has been asked in the past or not, it's an opportunity to talk about multitools, which, as I said, is why this forum exists.  I firmly believe that when a forum starts discouraging discussions, they become an "againstum."  Yes, that's my word, and if you search for it, you'll see it a hundred times here, and probably all from me!  :D

6- Banning is tragically a necessary part of any group, be it an internet forum, workplace or sports team.  Some folks simply don't fit or try to take advantage of others, ruining the experience for all.  I would like to point out that there is a lot of discussion behind the scenes and attempts to rectify the situation before we ban people here.  More effort goes into keeping folks here than I'm sure anyone here can imagine.  There is a thread in the hidden Admin Forum about one such member that has almost reached 70 pages.  I won't tell you who since he is no longer here to defend himself, but it gives you an idea of how hard we work to keep things on an even keel here.

7- You'll just have to keep trying... we'll be giving away a MUT soon, so stay tuned!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:48:46 AM
One more thing- I am glad that you appreciate the site!  It really does mean a lot to me.  Multitool.org is a labor of love for me (since it sure as hell isn't a money maker, it has to be!) so I really do get all warm and fuzzy when folks here are happy!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 01:38:27 AM
I just come here for the boys  :dd:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:41:27 AM
I just come here for the boys  :dd:

Do you mean Ben. :drool:
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:42:52 AM
I just come here for the boys  :dd:

Don't forget edap617's female friends, too. :drool:

Oh, and the tools and friendly environment, too. :tu:

Do you mean Ben. :drool:

I know, just something about the spiky hair. :P

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 01:51:31 AM
the people here are more friendly. :cheers:

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:42:21 AM
They also don't try and rip you off....if you're a member on BF you can see a trade gone bad that I am involved in.  Not to mention we help each other when the other is down.  I can honestly say members here have put food on my table when I couldn't, and that means more to me than any multitool.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 07:33:12 AM
Another thing is nobody takes anything too seriously. Most of the time we are either talking about nothing (Benner...:D) or we are discussing the nuances of what's essentially fancy pliers. Really the stuff here isn't that big of a deal and nobody thinks it is.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 07:47:52 AM
Free stuff!

Errr... the community?
Got those frog legs.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 11:44:57 AM
Another thing is nobody takes anything too seriously. Most of the time we are either talking about nothing (Benner...:D) or we are discussing the nuances of what's essentially fancy pliers. Really the stuff here isn't that big of a deal and nobody thinks it is.

BAN HIM!
 >:(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 12:18:17 PM

Hey!  >:(

ALL of my posts are crammed full of knowledge and helpful information.  :angel:
I'm back!!

Offline josekym

Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 12:30:32 PM
I just come here to see how the SPAM threads go... and of course view the topnotch MT pr0n...  :drool: >:D

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 02:38:02 PM
I dig the place because is don't matter where you're from, your politics, race, religeon, rich, poor, and so on...  We're all friends here and like to focus on the multitools and pointy things.  Isn't that the way it should be anyhow?   :cheers:
SAW

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 02:56:21 PM

BAN HIM!
 >:(

Blasphemy!  :twak:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline e17

• SOG! SOG! SOG!
Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 07:34:36 PM
Well, as for as I'm concerned, I'm not as present here as I would like to be, but as I just lost my job, I'm back for a while and still find the same spirit:

- same passion for MT (of course)
- respect (never see rude comments or any kind of aggressiveness, even with newbies with odd questions (I was one on them, I confess)), and for people loaded with knifes as we are, this has to be pointed out :D
- easy to use (indeed there is no captcha stuff to verify that I'm human.)
- nice UI
- not a lot of ads, and ads are always relevant. I admit I often clic on them, when I never do that on other sites.
- giveaways, for sure, is a nice stuff. :D

my 2cents

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 11:05:45 AM
I come here because I can make the text scroll...

T    T           T            T     T
e      e      e   e       e      e
x        x  x       x   x        x
t           t             t           t

How cool is that?!

Seriously This forum is one of the friendliest places I have ever been to, no rants, trolls, flaming or anything of the sort.
We just talk about everything except multitools and sharp pointy things :D
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%