Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissTool Strength

Biru · 14 · 2641

Offline Biru

SwissTool Strength
on: September 29, 2007, 06:41:12 PM
After years as a luthier and amp technician, I'm taking a position as a service tech for a vending machine company. They like their techs to carry a multitool, and I immediately thought about using my Swisstool. I like this tool very much, but wondered:  Have any of you had issues with the strength of the rivets used to keep the tool together? I don't want to damage this tool (my favorite) on a soda machine when I could use my Bear Jaws, Legend  or SuperTool instead. Thank you for any replies. Bill.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Re: SwissTool Strength
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 07:21:32 PM
I've not had my Swisstool that long but have used it to loosen painted over nuts that have been in position from the beginning of time (that what it felt like  :grin:) and have never felt any play in the tool I think you should be A OK but hopefully some of our more senior members will advise

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:21:56 PM
If you manage to break a SwissTool doing anything at all, I can guarantee you that no other tool would have stood up any better.  Plus, if you do somehow manage to break it, then you can get a brand new one from Victorinox when you send the pieces in!

Still, I'd suggest finding out what some of the other techs are carrying- each brand and tool has it's own characteristics and it might be a good idea to see what works for the other folks doing it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 08:36:05 PM
I'd say your Swisstool is up to anything your work can throw at it :)

Plus you've got the back up in the form of the cast iron warrenty that your swisstool comes with :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Biru

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 08:36:54 PM
Thank you both for your quick replies. As to the other techs, I'll check. The fellow who's currently showing me the ropes uses the smaller SOG (I have the Powerlock, his unit is the SOG without locking tools). It's a replacement for a PST and a Gerber which he supposedly broke during work. To be honest, I suspect most of these fellows problems are due to their asking too much of a particular tool. I've never worked with vending machines before, and their hardware seems very overbuilt to prevent vandalism, theft and general mayhem.

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 08:39:16 PM
Thank you both for your quick replies. As to the other techs, I'll check. The fellow who's currently showing me the ropes uses the smaller SOG (I have the Powerlock, his unit is the SOG without locking tools). It's a replacement for a PST and a Gerber which he supposedly broke during work. To be honest, I suspect most of these fellows problems are due to their asking too much of a particular tool. I've never worked with vending machines before, and their hardware seems very overbuilt to prevent vandalism, theft and general mayhem.
They are fairly solid lumps of enginering aren't they ;D

BTW welcome to the forum mate ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 08:41:42 PM
Well asking too much of tools is a serious problem, but that's why many manufacturers have the heavy duty tools like the SwissTool, SuperTools, Core, Surge, FreeHand, PowerLock etc.  These tools are designed to be driven hard, and if this other guy is using smaller tools, then he's probably trying to save a few bucks.  As you can see, it's working well for him since he's had to buy three!   >:D

Vending machines are indeed built like tanks, but I'd say any of the heavy duty tools should manage the job well enough.  You also seem well enough versed in basic mechanics and tools to know when something is about to go, so I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Biru

Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 12:52:38 AM
Thank you both for the kind words. I am indeed happy to join this excellent forum. I just found it yesterday, quite by accident. How nice to know there are others dedicated to the joys of multitools!  Due to some of the odd requirements of the job (especially dealing with the paper currency readers), I'm certain the Swisstool is the way to go. To be honest though, I've always held a bit of concern regarding the rivets used to fix the tools to the handles. I like the idea of the socketed screws, but I suppose Victorinox must have been confident in them as Vic's reputation has never been taken lightly.

Again, thank you for the kind words and the opportunity to use this forum.

Regards, Bill.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 12:15:53 PM
I'm only online for a short while so forgive me if I seem a little abrupt . You will bend the tool before you break the rivet , I  know  ;)

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 01:28:08 PM
Sounds like a good story behind that one! :D

Def

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 07:29:27 PM
Great to have you back dunc!

I'll look forward to hearing that story, did it involve ilicil contraband on the high sea's :o

Offline Biru

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 09:07:45 PM
That's fine to know, Dunc! I didn't get to handle my Swisstool when I first bought it. I had MGCs, Leatherman, Gerbers and SOGs, but, man, the Swisstool was something else! The pliers were a bit weird, but the engineering that went into the ST was impressive. The only worry I had was concerning the strange rivets. I'd never seen that type of pivot before and that was my main concern. I'm not a tool abuser anyway, and I plan to carry my heavier tools with me. Thank you all for the info. Regards, Bill.

After having seen the review on this forum, I'm planning on a Spirit next. I'm a bit concerned regarding the Phillips screwdriver (re the reviewer's notes) as that is a primary necessity for my work to come. Still, I've become quite a Victorinox fan.

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 10:08:09 PM
Still, I've become quite a Victorinox fan.
That's good to know :) your certainly gona fit in here well ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 12:22:14 AM
As with any brand or model, it all boils down to what you need, and what you are comfortable with.  I personally don't mind a little extra bulk or weight if I know there's a point to it.  Besides, looking at the pants sizes I've gone through in the last few years I can tell you that a few ounces difference in a tool is the last thing I am worried about.  The SwissTool is indeed a big tool, but to get that many functions into a tool from virtually anyone else would require a much bigger, heavier tool.

The SwissTool is a great place to start- priced lower than many other tools on the market, with more features, and absolute top notch quality in manufacturing, it's pretty hard to beat.  Some folks may not need to go farther, others may feel that it's the wrong mix of features for them, and others just simply may not like the way Victorinox has put together some of those tools.  Once you know what you like and don't like, and have experienced a tool like the SwissTool, you can start making an informed decision about what your needs are for your next multitool.  The big problem comes when folks get cheap multis- many people don't feel that any others would be worth $50 or $100 because their own $15 one works so well, or worse, they had one (a cheapo) and it broke, so those things are useless.

Fortunately you have the benefit of having a few good tools, and more importantly you've found a community that will help and support you in making the right decisions, rather than you just grabbing the next thing on sale because there isn't a huge local selection.  After all, if the best tool in the world doesn't do what you want it to, what good is it?

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%