Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multi-tools for bicycling

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Multi-tools for bicycling
on: October 13, 2006, 07:39:34 PM
 Are there any bicyclists here?  My new rediscovered passion is bicycling,and I'm wanting to put together a tool kit that will fit in the bike's bag. Does anyone have experience with Topeak multi-tools? How's the quality and usefulness? I'm also planning to add a Juice KF4, and most likely an Alox Bantam.
 I'll listen to anybody's recommendations,and if you can think of something I might have overlooked feel free to let me know( BTW,I am going to throw in a patch kit and levers).
I

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Multi-tools for bicycling
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 08:17:15 PM
I have a tool that I got from Gerber that features a crescent wrench with a couple allens and a chain tool, I can post a pic if you want. I don't bike enough anymore to use it, if someone wants to trade it for another tool ;-)

David Bowen

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:25:19 PM
I used to be into all sorts of different cycling activities from mountain biking to long distance cycling.  In fact, at one point in my youth I was close to joining the Tour de France.  Unfortunately, I shattered a foot a few years ago, and now it's a little too crooked to pedal gracefully, but I still enjoy biking when I get the opportunity.  Most of the time now it's on a stationary bike in front of the TV though.  :-X

I think both Victorinox and Wenger have both offered tools for the cyclist in the past, but I am not certain if they are still available or not.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:48:07 PM
David,
          Please post that pic if you would,that's one Gerber I haven't seen or heard of.I just mght be interested in a trade,or purchase. I really don't have qualms about Gerber like many others do..but then I've seldom put a multi through really heavy workouts;I'll generally reach for the dedicated tool for the job..or even better get the son-in-law to do the job ;D
 Def,
       I plumb forgot Wenger's Biking tools,Wengers just aren't represented in stores around enough for that brand to come to mind right off.I  had a Vic Sport Tool at one time and thought it a little too ungainly for me,you jarred my memory,Vic does offer a biking tool set with a couple wrenches,levers and I think a Spartan with a nylon pouch.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 02:29:49 AM
I think the Gerber tool David is referring to is the Cool Tool.

......but I don't have a picture.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 07:27:47 AM
I used to mountain bike all the time when I was a teenager growing up in the Catskills in upstate New York. Now my bike just sits on my back porch collecting dust :(  I wasn't in to multitools back then but I carried a Vic Soldier.
"

Offline shecky

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 08:26:59 AM
There are lots of snazzy multi tools for bicyclists these days. They are generally a collection of Allen/flat/Phillips drivers in a folding mechanism. The fancier ones have things like hex wrenches, spoke wrenches, chain tools, tire irons and such, maybe even a knife blade and bottle opener!

Nashbar is a nice online dealer with decent prices.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 08:57:24 AM
I just now popped into Nashbar's site;and some of those tools look like they might be handy for everyday use.My local bike shop has some.I'll probably wind up popping for one,and use it for a couple months and come back with a review.
I

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 03:48:46 PM
That looks very useful above and beyond biking.More than once I've been in spots where a crescent wrench would've been the ideal tool.It seems Gerber has been a bit more innovative than some other toolmakers.David send me a IM and we can knock out the details,,,I'd like to have that!
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 03:50:43 AM
I wish I'd have had a nice tool when I was biking.  In my day you were considered advanced if you had a tire pump mounted to the frame, which never really did you much good if you got a flat!

My pump was mounted under the crossbar, and two water bottles, each mounted on the other bars.  Aluminum frames were just starting to make an appearance, but I couldn't afford one of those, so it was welded tubular steel for me, and since my bike doubled as a distance machine and off roader, it was HEAVY!  I wish I had a dollar for every mile I half carried, half dragged that bike when something went wrong.  I look at all the cool stuff available now and I think maybe I should start up again...

Good tools, titanium frames (hell, no one uses those old fashioned aluminum ones anymore!) puncture resistant, self healing tires, gel seats, digital spedometers- it's more comfortable than sitting in my living room!  My old speedometer was hooked to a dynamo attached to the wheel, and when you "turned it on" your speed dropped by ten percent from the resistance!

Of course a multi wouldn't have solved all the problems since each component was attached with a different fastener.  You needed a whole toolbox to change a tire and a fully stocked auto garage to fix a derailer!  Nowadays all the parts are standardized and many have quick change lugs.  Someone's been thinking!  With a decent (or dedicated) multi you could probably go for years without ever needing to open a toolbox.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline shecky

Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 04:51:58 PM
Nowadays all the parts are standardized and many have quick change lugs.  Someone's been thinking! 

Heh! If only! Why does my box one once-used bike tools seem to grow heavier each year?  ;)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 06:19:27 PM
  After getting back into bicycling after a very long hiatus,I'm more than amazed about how much the landscape has changed. New materials and new classifications of bikes,not to mention companies that were under the radar,if they even existed 20 years ago,are now respected leaders in the field.
 But the VERY good news of all this is that SWMBO doesn't mind the money laid out...health and fitness always works as a good excuse..errrr reason !!
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 09:05:26 PM
Nowadays all the parts are standardized and many have quick change lugs.  Someone's been thinking! 

Heh! If only! Why does my box one once-used bike tools seem to grow heavier each year?  ;)

When I was cycling, you needed a trailer to pull the tools you needed to change a tire!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 12:12:48 AM
Here's a radical-looking Bike multitool that I came across on the net today. It looks like a person could almost build a bicycle from scratch with this contraption!

Link: http://www.procycling.be/?page=gewiktengewogen&artikelID=9#foto1

* Vetta.jpg (Filesize: 42.29 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 12:56:52 AM
That one looks like an official Star Trek tricorder!

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 08:14:17 PM
See the thread I started a while back here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,457.0.html
Splat

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 01:12:25 AM
I'm an avid cyclist with eight years experience as a bicycle mechanic and service manager.  Sorry, I just saw this post for the first time  today.

Here's my Topeak "The Alien":

To separate the two halves of the tool, flip the bail 180 degrees to the other side, and press the button that the logo is on:

The stainless tools in the foreground all lock 180 degrees from  closed position.  The serrated blade locks in the closed position also.  The release is a wide metal button on the backside, not shown.

The two halves work together to operate the chain breaker/rivet press:

Tools include:
8,9,10mm 12-pt Box Wrenches (stainless)
2,2.5,3,4,5,6 & 8mm Allen Keys
Phillips and Flathead Screwdriver
Universal Chain Tool
2 Spoke Wrenches
10mm socket wrench
2 Tire Levers
Stainless Steel Knife
Bottle Opener (stainless)

I use the tool often, and it has never left me wishing for more options.  It is heavy, so it is only carried on my mountain bike.  I have a more minimalist toolkit for the road.

This tool is no longer available, but has been replaced by the "The Alien II" tool, which appears to have a very similar range of implements in a slightly lighter tool.  If you want a tool with an even wider range of implements, look into the Topeak "McGuyver".

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:39:11 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 01:21:03 AM
That looks pretty cool!  I wish I still had a bike...

Do I need to have a bike to get one of those? :P

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 01:34:44 AM

Nope!  But you should probably go out and buy a bike chain so you can use the cool rivet press.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:36:48 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 06:28:05 PM
Actually, it has enough versatility,it could have some uses around the house.The rivet press could sub for a miniature vise for some applications,especially if you're a hobbyist.
I

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 07:12:38 PM
that took quite a while till the name alien showed up. i have an alien II and those seem to be the only decent ones around here (germany). many others i have seen seem to be some sort of knock off.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 11:24:55 PM
Welcome aboard !  Even though there are several quality tools on the market,the knock offs seem to prevail in the US as well.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 04:59:46 AM
Wherever there are people who compromise effectiveness for cost there will always be cheapies and knockoffs.

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 07:53:29 PM
 I tend to be a cheapo from the other direction.My philosophy is to buy it right,and you only have to buy it once.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 08:04:15 PM
That makes perfect sense to me, and I agree with you completely, but in the modern instant gratification type society we are in now, that kind of thought is getting rarer and rarer.

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 10:18:19 AM
.My philosophy is to buy it right,and you only have to buy it once.
sounds like we share the same motto mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 11:52:33 AM
How does that old saying go?  "Buy quality and only cry once"   :grin:

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 02:43:46 PM
How does that old saying go?  "Buy quality and only cry once"   :grin:

Def
:D :D :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 03:26:08 PM
The only big problem with that is that you get addicted to quality stuff, then you have to have more... and more, and more and more!

The theory is that you spend your money on one and it will last.  Where that theory fails is if you buy hundreds of them like I do... then it's false economy all over again!

My wife is starting to see through the "they are great quality and they will last a long time" argument.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%