Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool fails me today!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Swisstool fails me today!
Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 06:48:23 AM
The hard wire cutters are the half round shapes at the very base of the cutter section...coathanger cutters!
[

Offline ieraseu

Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 06:51:44 AM
Yes, the Leatherman Xti does have hard wire cutters at the base, but not the Supertool. The recessed area you see at the bottom is the result of damage taken while cutting the coat hanger.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 01:03:28 PM
Yes, the Leatherman Xti does have hard wire cutters at the base, but not the Supertool. The recessed area you see at the bottom is the result of damage taken while cutting the coat hanger.

Ouch.  I wonder if Leatherman would sort that out for you under warranty??

Welcome btw.  :)
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 06:39:06 PM
Yes the Swisstool didnt have any trouble with the coathanger . I will try and think of another test to video , a wire fence maybe . I'll see what I can do .

Dunc

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 07:17:52 PM
I've used my SwissTool to cut all sorts of wire.  Wire hangers are no problem.  I've even used them on the plastic coated ones.

As for fencing, we just had a chain link fence installed at home.  I used some leftover wire to hang "Beware of Dog" signs by the gates.  The SwissTool cut it reliably.  I've cut chain link in the past to make various small wire items and have never ad a problem.

One of the main reasons I put away a Leatherman Super Tool when the SwissTool came out, was cutting wire.  I cut some 14 gauge steel wire with the LM and it never worked right again.  I've never had that complaint with the SwissTool.

Offline ieraseu

Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 07:27:46 PM

Thank you for the welcome. The Supertool is an old model (I've had it for over 10 years) and is now semi-retired (typically just sits in the center console of my car). For this reason I have not attempted to seek warranty service. I admit, I was so shocked by how well the Swisstool cut that coat hanger that I became a member of this forum just to respond and research Swisstool a bit. It's possible that the new Charge XTi that comes equipped with a hard wire cutter will do better, but since I had that one bad experience with the Supertool, I have not had the confidence to risk it. I do have to say that this was not the 'flimsy' and easily bendable type of coat hanger, but a slightly more rigid variety. Still I do not think it was as tough as say a chain link fence, so I have to put most of the blame on the wire cutters.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 07:31:23 PM by ieraseu »

Offline cryptrick

Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 08:51:31 PM

Thank you for the welcome. The Supertool is an old model (I've had it for over 10 years) and is now semi-retired (typically just sits in the center console of my car). For this reason I have not attempted to seek warranty service. I admit, I was so shocked by how well the Swisstool cut that coat hanger that I became a member of this forum just to respond and research Swisstool a bit. It's possible that the new Charge XTi that comes equipped with a hard wire cutter will do better, but since I had that one bad experience with the Supertool, I have not had the confidence to risk it. I do have to say that this was not the 'flimsy' and easily bendable type of coat hanger, but a slightly more rigid variety. Still I do not think it was as tough as say a chain link fence, so I have to put most of the blame on the wire cutters.

Welcome ieraseu  :)

Even though the Supertool is over 10 years old I believe its still in warranty as LM carry a 25yr warranty. I have cut pretty thick coat hanger wire with a charge and it handled it quite well. I had to use a bit more pressure than other tools but it went through without any problems. If you're a bit hesistant (which I can fully understand) just try some thinner wire and move up. You'll soon get a good sense of how much more to push it.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 10:30:16 PM
Any Leatherman you have is under warranty.  Even the very first ones are covered, at least until next year!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 12:04:55 AM
Any Leatherman you have is under warranty.  Even the very first ones are covered, at least until next year!

Def
Welcome to the forum mate, and we can always use another Swisstool fan :)

That is pretty savage damage to that Supertool though ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 17, 2007, 04:53:07 AM
yes, you used the reg. wire cutters to cut HARD WIRE! That is what the hard wirecutters are for!
B

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #40 on: November 17, 2007, 10:22:14 AM
yes, you used the reg. wire cutters to cut HARD WIRE! That is what the hard wirecutters are for!

Yep your quite right .The wire wasnt placed in the hard wire cutter  that I have ringed in red and was cut with the std wire cutters which resulted in damage that I have ringed in blue .

I bet  ieraseu wont do that again .
Heres a picture of an undamaged Leatherman plier head I borrowed from http://www.smartknives.com/Leatherman-Tools/Leatherman-Pliers-Wire.htm
You can clearly see the hard wire cutters at the bottom .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #41 on: November 17, 2007, 06:05:28 PM
I'm glad this has been posted.  I thought they did have hard wire cutters.

The cutters are easy to damage though.  I had the same on my PST.
I'm back!!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #42 on: November 17, 2007, 06:51:36 PM
Yep your quite right .The wire wasnt placed in the hard wire cutter  that I have ringed in red and was cut with the std wire cutters which resulted in damage that I have ringed in blue .

(Image removed from quote.)

Unfortunately, my original Leatherman SuperTool (date codes 0495/0595) does not have a hard wire cutter like the later versions do.
supertool-old-cutters.jpg
* supertool-old-cutters.jpg (Filesize: 30.41 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #43 on: November 17, 2007, 08:51:27 PM
Thanks parnass I didnt know that  :)

Dunc

Offline ieraseu

Reply #44 on: November 17, 2007, 09:56:18 PM
My Supertool did not have hard wire cutters. It's possible that it was later added to newer revisions of the Supertool, but my over 10 year old version predates hard wire cutters. Here is a picture of the box and UPC of my Supertool and also the box from the new Charge XTi box which I purchased to replaced it . Original purchase date is roughly '94 or '95 while I was stationed at Camp Pendleton as a Marine.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:05:16 PM by ieraseu »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD