Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinions on the future of Crunch and Micra?

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Opinions on the future of Crunch and Micra?
on: October 02, 2007, 11:31:24 PM
I think both of these tools are great as they are, but they are the two oldest designs still going and to me look a little bit like misfits in the current line up. So what do you think will happen with these two over the next few years? Stay as they are, get updated or redesigned, or (gasp) discontinued?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Opinions on the future of Crunch and Micra?
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:34:46 PM
I think that they will make keep them both the same. Both amazing products that have been around forever!
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:49:08 PM
I was surprised the Micra wasn't edged out by the Squirt series, and I actually thought for a while the Crunch was discontinued.

I'd imagine the Micra will run it's course eventually, and the Crunch will likely be updated sometime.  That seems to be more or less how the lineup is going.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:57:32 PM
I've been wondering about the micra/squirt thing. The micra is definetly showing it's age, but as far as I can tell they are one of the best sellers (they were sure cranking them out at the factory). And with the lower price, for LM to ditch the Micra, they'd have to lower the price of the squirt (not likely IMO), drop that piece of the market (also not likely IMO), or replace it. My personal guess is that the micra stays as is because of it's market value, and somthing (disco or update) happens with the Crunch.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:27:31 AM
Very possible.  I actually like the Micra very much, and prefer it to the Squirt overall anyway.  One would think they wouldn't need to keep making them with the number of second hand ones on the market thanks to the TSA!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:38:50 AM
They keep making Micras because the TSA is confiscating them all!

How about a Crunch with a one handed blade? :multi:
[

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 01:01:21 AM
Hope they don't add plastic and make them feel cheap like some of their newer, larger multitools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 01:03:59 AM
Hope they don't add plastic and make them feel cheap like some of their newer, larger multitools.
I would guess you're safe there. (I don't mind the plastic however, but I can understand not liking it) There's not enough room on the Micra, and the Crunch doesn't need plastic to smooth the edges since you hold the outside of the tool anyway.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 01:51:35 AM
The Micras have already had plastic added, and it sucks.  Many of the different colored ones were regular stainless models in colored plastic drags.

Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 01:52:50 AM
I actually have a few rusty Micras with plastic on top of the stainless steel.  The plastic increases the size of the tool and encourages rust because moisture trapped between the plastic and the steel has no way to evaporate.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 01:55:27 AM
Plus other crud like pocket lint and sand gets trapped in there.  Not a good idea at all.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 02:30:40 AM
The color-anodized aluminum skins are much better than the see-thru plastic. If you need color that is. I'm perfectly content with bare stainless steel.

As far as predictions, I think the Micra will be with us for a long time yet. The Crunch though, seems like its days are numbered. Expensive, limited market appeal, and doesn't share components with any other current tools.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 02:41:58 AM
... The Crunch though, seems like its days are numbered. Expensive, limited market appeal, and doesn't share components with any other current tools.

But, it has that solid, old school Leatherman quality feel. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 02:55:17 AM
But, it has that solid, old school Leatherman quality feel. 

...which is why I like it so much...and is why they will probably replace it with a "new & improved Crunch II", complete with rubber overmolded handles or brightly colored anodized scales or some other such gimmickry.  :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 07:23:51 PM
 I can't imagine the Micra disappearing from Leatherman's line-up anytime soon,however the Crunch I don't see being around for too awfully long.The Crunch,to me,is a tool,that's best suited to complement another multi-tool,and I seldom see people carrying two multis simultaneously.
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD