Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

De Dog Wheesperer

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
De Dog Wheesperer
on: October 03, 2007, 12:22:52 AM
I'm not a big TV guy, but I have to say that I am hooked on Cesar Milan's show, the Dog Whisperer.  What's really funny, is that it's quite literally the same show each and every time.  No matter what the dog's problem is, what the owner's situation is, it always seems to boil down to the person needing to grow a set of balls and tell the dog what is and isn't acceptable. 

I may be a little out of the regular target audience, having worked as a canine officer for a few years, but it seems to me that these folks that get these dogs have watched too much TV- that the first dog they get will bond with them instantly, bark only when someone comes to the door or when Timmy is trapped in the well... frankly I can just imagine what Cesar thinks when he sees how truly pathetic and incapable most of these dog owners are, having grown up in Mexico, in a decidedly different age, and in less decadent surroundings.

There was one episode where the guy was complaining because his 5 pound dog wouldn't let him sleep in the bed, and that he and his wife hadn't slept together in 2 years.  Now, I am not an advocate for abusing dogs, but I think this would be one of those times where it would be important to point out to the dog that you outweigh him 50 to 1.  If he or she disagrees, well it's your own damned fault for letting the dog have an opinion, and it's time to change it manually if necessary.

It's amazing that every episode, Cesar does the same thing.  He comes in, instantly establishes himself as the lead dog, and the dogs behave after a few pokes from him.  One can't help but wonder if the people that he helps have ever watched the show.  It seems to me that the simple lessons that curb 99.9% of canine problems should be pretty easy to pick up and institute, even for the average TV viewer.  I honestly think the members of his staff that find these lunatics deserve a raise for managing to dig up the most useless pet owners they can find.

One guy actually said in one episode "It's like the dog has a mind of his own."  NO SH*T.   :twak:

Of course the dog has a mind... too bad his owner didn't....

I love my dogs, and I am glad there are folks out there like Cesar Milan, helping folks to get the most out of their dogs, but come on... some folks just should not have a dog.  If they were responsible pet owners, they'd have learned how to look after the dog before they got it, or at least somewhere along the way.  Not to open up another can of worms, but it's folks like this that makes the RTKBA scare the living bejeezus out of me.  If you are outsmarted by a Pomeranian or dominated by a cocker spaniel, you probably shouldn't be packing heat, you know?

I also recently read Marley and Me, a book about the supposed "World's Worst Dog" and I can tell you there was absolutely nothing wrong with that dog, but lots seriously wrong with the owners.  That kind of dog was all wrong for those yuppies, and they had no idea of how to deal with him.  Then, after having the dog for years, and he gets old and sick, when they were told that Marley would die if they put him in a kennel, what do they do?  Honey, we're taking the kids to DisneyLand!  Happiest place on Earth until you come home and find your beloved family pet kicked the bucket.  The kids will always remember their trip to DisneyLand more by the shock of loss than the fun they had barfing on the Tilt A Whirl.

Anyone else like the Dog Whisperer? 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Re: De Dog Wheesperer
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 01:01:18 AM
HAHA, good read. I've never seen the show, but I liked your common-sense/comedic commentary ;D It was informative too, I never knew some dogs have a mind of their own!! :o :o :D

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:09:00 AM
My wife and I are also hooked and we thoroughly enjoy the show too. In fact, his show has helped us better control our dogs. Now, our dogs were nothing like what he deals with on his show.  But without going into boring detail, with some of his techniques and a few well timed pokes, finger snaps and his patented phshsspsss's sounds, they do way better.

We especially liked the one with the ex-Canadian Football League player and his wife with two bulldogs, a Colorful Enunciationer spaniel and a cat. They indicated they watched his show and were fans. But as Cesar was talking with them, you could see the light come on and the husband looks at Cesar, kind of chuckles and says, "Damn, I was hoping it wasn't us." Meaning, they were hoping it was the dogs fault and not their's. They go it ..... LOL!

I have even read many of the criticisms leveled at Cesar and about the law suite against him. Man, do his critics even watch the same show? And the lawsuit seemed like someone going after him because he now had money. Besides, it was the persons (an ex-producer or something like that) own dog handler that hurt his dog, Cesar wasn't even there. Cesar was just letting them use his facility as a favor.

Anyhow ..... YES, my wife and I like it and his techniques have worked for us. Speaking of which I have to go walk our dogs now .... I'm serious too.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:11:25 AM by mike »
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 02:04:32 AM
I just walked mine, and met a rather attractive lady with a boxer/staffordshire mix... Damn I love dogs, why the heck did I get married? :P  She just broke up her relationship, and our dogs got along wonderfully...

I didn't realize there was a lawsuit- figures though, like you said, as soon as someone has money, someone else tries to get it from them without doing anything to get it.

I never saw the CFL episode- I'm a recent convert, but I did enjoy watching Cesar teach the Marley & Me author how to deal with his new dog's hunting instinct.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 09:17:10 AM
What type of Breed is a Colorful Enunciationer spaniel ??? ;) :P ;D

I think a lot of people are just totally unprepared for the resposibility of having a dog, they simply don't appreciate the 24/7 nature of having one ::)

As for the girl in the park, give her my email address will ya ;D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24