Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge, Charge Experiences

Biru · 8 · 1768

Offline Biru

Surge, Charge Experiences
on: October 03, 2007, 11:42:12 PM
Unfortunately for my wallet, I've become enamored of the Charge. Still, the Surge, with its muscular profile, interests me as well. I've got a Wave and love it, but its handles tend to twist somewhat more than I like. Has anyone had experiences with the SUrge, and do its larger handles tend to twist as well? Thanks much, Bill.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Re: Surge, Charge Experiences
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:58:34 AM
Unfortunately for my wallet, I've become enamored of the Charge. Still, the Surge, with its muscular profile, interests me as well. I've got a Wave and love it, but its handles tend to twist somewhat more than I like. Has anyone had experiences with the SUrge, and do its larger handles tend to twist as well? Thanks much, Bill.
How do they twist? When you're using the pliars, screwdrivers, or something else? I have a Charge and like it, and have had no problems with the pliars. One time though, I was using (more like trying to use) the large screwdriver on a very rusty screw with a deep slot so the screw wouldn't budge but the driver wouldn't slip either. I was torquing it quite a bit and started to feel the handle shift around a bit, so I stopped. For what its worth a "real" screwdriver had no effect on the screw either.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 03:40:22 AM
Yah, what he said, what's making the handles twist?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Biru

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 12:15:35 AM
First, I love my Wave. When I use the pliers, the handles are fine, firm and typical Leatherman.The outside tools are great.

When I use a tool at the other end, like the Phillips, the handles tend to twist or slide side to side a bit when torquing. Not more than maybe a millimeter or two. My SuperTool, Swisstool, Powerlock or Bear Jaws don't tend to do this. This isn't so much a complaint as a simple observation. I believe the reviewer on this website mentions this in the review of the Wave. The Charge I'm sure won't do this. It seems to be part and parcel of the Wave's skeletonized handles/frame. Since the Surge is very similar in design to the Wave, I just wondered.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:56:51 AM
Nope, I have abused leathermans for years and have never had a handle twist. I've had screwdrivers bend but never twisting. I just tested my SURGE and no twisting.
B

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 08:33:41 PM
I don't know if they all can or not, but my Charge (which is plenty tough and not poorly made) can twist a little if I torque it really hard (see above post ;D ) I think its just part of the design since you have so many layers to the handle... :) I would expect some of the other designs not to do this, and like I said, I don't know that all Wave/Surge/Charges would.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 01:20:28 AM
My Charge has never twisted (that I've noticed) but maybe I've never torqued on it hard enough to?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:29:52 AM
My Charge has never twisted (that I've noticed) but maybe I've never torqued on it hard enough to?
It's possible. My situation was kindof uniquie. The driver was not going to slip and I was in a position to give it a real strong turn. I'm pretty sure that anyone used to turning a screwdriver could've over-torqued most any MT in that situation. You can get a lot of grip and torque with the off-center shape of a MT, and I'm not sure any MT could stand up to a full-out cranking with nothing to give but the tool itself, especially if you're in a postion where you can put your weight into it. Just my opinion of course, I've never tested the theory ;) But anyhow, there are some situations that simply call for a big ole' screwdriver and a can of WD-40.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%