Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PS4 review.

Gareth · 22 · 4149

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
PS4 review.
on: November 12, 2010, 07:18:25 PM
I know this is a little tool that’s had plenty said about it already but I thought I might just throw my two pence in as well.

Starting from the outside I’ll look at the scales first.  LM has given them a new textured finish with the aim, I suspect, of improving grip.  Nothing wrong with that in concept but I do have an issue or two with it, namely I’ve found that they chew up any other items I might have on my keyring, it’s like keeping a square of wet & dry in your pocket.  Now I don’t think it’s a huge leap of the imagination to think that the kind of person who’ll have a Squirt on their keys is likely to have some other stuff too, in my case a AAA torch.  Ironically this has meant that I’ve been paring it up with my LM Monarch 300, which has a very similar finish, or rather it did until it wore down.  Perhaps it’s a cunning ploy to get us to stop carrying other brands of lights? ;)

The scales also have a crescent shape in them; the idea I believe is that you should be able to work out what tool is where simply by feel rather than having to look.  Myself I’ve not yet found that to be the case, but that’s likely a reflection on me, not the tool.

On to the tools; first up we have the blade.  It’s roughly 1 5/8” (or 41mm) long, has a single bevel and is non-locking.  IMO on a blade this size the fact it doesn’t lock is no drawback at all, it’s only for lighter cutting tasks and, just so long as you remember it doesn’t lock,  I can’t see a problem.  Similarly not everyone is a fan of chisel ground blade (bevelled on only one side) but I don’t see the disadvantage on such a small blade, it’s not like you are going to be working with it for hour after hour.

Next up we have the file.  This is a double-sided affair being single cut on one side and double cut on the other.  It also has a tooth cut on the edge, it should be noted perhaps that LM don’t advertise this as being a metal saw.  What they do say, simply, is that this is a metal/wood file.  I’m in two minds over just how useful a file this is if I’m honest, mostly due to its tiny size.  I’m honestly struggling to think of a time when I might find myself in need of a file with almost no reach.  If you can then I’m open to suggestions.  I don’t hate it I just don’t get it.

Last of the long tools are the scissors.  These small scissors are really what make the new PS4 and ES4 stand out from their predecessors and are what got me excited when the first shots of this multi were released, luckily they don’t disappoint.  Good and sharp with a fine enough tip to get into small spaces these really are a good set of small scissors to work with.  The spring action is crisp and pleasant to use.  A slightly troubling fact is that there has been a couple of failures reported here on the forum but lets hope they’re isolated cases.  It’s certainly nothing to get worried about yet I think.

Ok, next we have the medium flat screwdriver and bottle opener.  As a screwdriver it’s just fine, not a lot of reach perhaps, but hardly a deal breaker.  On the other hand I do think LM need to look at the design of the cap lifter again.  Genuinely I can’t think of a multi I have that has one that is worse.  The little hook that lifts the underside of the cap is just too short and constantly slips and almost always takes two or three attempts to pop the cap off.

Last of the outside tools, the flat Phillips driver.  I’ve always been a little apathetic towards flat Phillips and think it’s a shame LM didn’t keep the 3D one found on the original E4.  Anyway it works as well as such a light tool could be expected, just so long as you are sensible about what you tackle with it.  A bonus is that it does work as a small flat driver as well, just so long as the screw head isn’t recessed in any way (eyeglass screws are well within its capabilities).  A last little note on the two short tools is the relative inaccessibility of the nail nicks, I’m stumped as to why LM have make then so hard to get at as they sit just below the level of the scales.  It just seems unnecessarily fiddly to me.

Finally we have the sprung pliers.  I’ve got to say these are the reason I got a Squirt in the first place, wonderfully compact and easy to underestimate.  LM splits them into three parts; needle nose pliers, regular pliers and wire cutters.  At their widest the tips will open to somewhere just over 1” (about 27mm) and you might be surprised by just how much force you can bring to bear with them.  The cutters work well on copper but lack a ‘hard wire’ notch so be careful as to what you cut.

Too sum up:
Pros: excellent scissors
       surprisingly good pliers
       compact size means you’ll never need to leave them at home.

Cons: worst bottle opener out there
        overly aggressive scales
        hard to reach nail nicks on the short tools.

Despite one or two niggles I still think this is an excellent pocket tool and I don't think anyone would be sorry for owning one. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:27:13 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: PS4 review.
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:30:16 PM
Thanks for the top notch review G-man. I pretty much agree with everything you have said too  :tu:

Yes, a locking blade of that size would be utterly pointless IMO too  ::)

As for the scales, wouldn't it be lovely is there was a stainless steel edition available, or even a BO? I'd jump on both of those at light speed :)

Overall, it's a nice little tool, perhaps with just a tad too much ambition crammed in to it.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:45:07 PM
I enjoyed that Gareth.  :tu:
I'm back!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 07:56:33 PM
Good write-up Gareth.  :tu:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:02:47 PM
What the green guy said. :tu: :D

us Offline EZ822

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:15:53 PM
I don't get the file either. IMO the should have kept the small screwdriver and awl that is on the P4 and do away with the file. Enjoyed the review Gareth.  :tu:
Erick

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 08:42:09 PM
Good review  :salute:

Where my opinion varies...

- Scales, I like the slope, it works even though aesthetically it did make me double take initially.
- File, I really like it; just the right size for removing corrosion from electrical contacts.  I'm also pleased to see that its cut right to the end unlike the files on Victorinox SAKs.  This means it can be used to remove crud from terminals in battery compartments.
- Scissors, OK but I have been spoilt by Vic. ones :)
- The little screwdriver and awl are sadly missing, they were great tools :(
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:15:31 PM
Bloo0dy fine review there sir :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:05 PM
Cheers all. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 08:07:55 PM
BTW folks I'm keen to get a review on the main site at some point, so any constructive criticism from the powers that be would be most welcome. ;)  Re-reading it I think I was skimpy on the intro and perhaps a little too long overall.  Thoughts?

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:07 AM
nice review Gareth.

I don't think its too long.
If I want a tool, I'll usually read the reviews and I want in very depth reviews if I'm truly interested in buying the tool.

I'm a little disappointed the s4 is retired though. was my favorite of the small ones.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:16:59 PM
Cheers mate.  I think I might have to pick up an S4 myself at some point. :)

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:48:35 PM
I've been carrying the PS4 of late. I agree with most what you say. I can see the file coming in handy in confined spaces and for knocking sharp edges off small objects, that said I haven't actually used it for anything other than a nail file yet :), when I do I'll let you know   ;)

Great review :salute:
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 07:53:23 PM
I've been carrying the PS4 of late. I agree with most what you say. I can see the file coming in handy in confined spaces and for knocking sharp edges off small objects, that said I haven't actually used it for anything other than a nail file yet, when I do I'll let you know :)  ;)

Cheers mate. :D  I've not carried mine in the last couple of weeks (too many new toys) but even so I still don't think I've ever done anything with that file. ::)  I guess I'll find a good use for it one day, I've just no idea what that might be. ;)

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:39:26 PM
Once again, you have summed this tool up nicely.  It's a wonderful multi but like the Style CS lends room for improvement.   :multi:
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 09:41:29 PM
A nice review there Sir. Thank you :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 01:00:57 AM
You are very welcome gents. :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 01:32:05 AM
Mmmmmm. :) I missed this one earlier. Nice job Gareth! :salute:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline shecky

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 11:30:15 AM
Last month I had to send in my old P4 when the pliers broke. Leatherman sent me back a new PS4.

Overall, I like it about as much as the old P4. The file I've found useful, particularly since I have no other files that thin. The blade is fantastic, like the old P4 and Micra. The screwdrivers are still, IMO, substandard compared to a Micra. That flat Phillips, especially, on the Micra, seems to fit a wider array of Phillips, in addition to being a bit longer. The scissors are OK, but the pivot seems a bit on the sloppy side. The backspring on the scissors also doesn't have much snap. The pliers seem the same as the old, light duty, or as I prefer, more like heavy duty tweezers. The wire cutters work well for what they are. I don't bemoan the lack of a hard wire cutter, as the pliers themselves seem to only be as heavy duty as the scissors on the S4. They definitely are not intended to be used for any kind of hard wire cutting even if they had the hard wire cutting notch.

Despite all those limitations, it remains a workhorse around here.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 02:43:17 PM
I agree that the Micra has the upper hand when it comes to the screwdrivers; longer reach, more sharply formed and beefier Phillips.  IMO it's not the Juice's are bad, it's just that the Micra's are better.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 03:01:15 PM
I think I'll stick with my original idea...

Get a P4 and pair it with Vic.Manager for minimalist keychain carry...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 06:01:09 PM
A well reasoned , balanced review . Good job .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD