Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Assist, Victorinox RT, S&W911 and Mikov Rescue field test.

RNL · 9 · 7923

Offline RNL

Hello everybody. It's been few weeks since user Sidartha has posted the thread (in the "Swiss" chapter), in which part of my rescue tools review was included. Today I would like to share with you, in my opinion quite interesting, full test of 4 folding rescue knives. Test was performed by the members of Polish knives- enthusiasts' forum knives.pl. I am the guy in red ;) you will know. Unfortunatelly the comments are in Polish, but pictures and videos are speaking for themselves I guess, so put your stereo headphones set on, mute my comments, and watch :)

I decided to divide the test in two parts- first part- rescuing the patient from the car, second, comparison of the cutting efficacy and ergonomy of each knife in the conditions typical for the work in the ambulance.

Instead of introduction few words how the ambulances' staffs are organized in Poland (which is important for the understanding of the tests). There are three groups:

1. family doctor team- driver+doctor- only for minor cases usually from 6PM to 6AM
2. basic  EMT team- 2-3 EMTs, 16hrs and 24hrs duties
3. specialized team- 1 doctor, 2 EMTs, 1 driver- 16 and 24 hrs duties (complicated cases, transports between hospitals, accidents)
4. Helicopters- like specialized team, but pilot instead of a driver, 1 EMT i 1 doctor.

I work as a doctor in the specialized ambulance.

from the right Spyderco Assist, Victorinox Rescue Tool, S&W 911, Mikov Rescue

Testers:

albercik (crashtest dummy, the most dangerous role)

kroko (expert)

Ypoznan (cameraman and photographer)

[/URL][/IMG]

RNL (knife-donor, medical backup ;) )

Test Spyderco Assist, S&W911, Victorinox RT, Mikov Rescue
rt+sw+sa1

Windscreen and surprise- the fireman says, that Victorinox made the best rescue tool he had ever worked with

szyba przód

How to remove patient from the car if you have no equipment:

Ratownictwo

As you may see below, none of the knives, despite of the S7W911 finished the test uninjured:

that's how the lanyard must have been affected

Assist was badly wounded during the breaking of the windscreen, the glassbreaker doesn't slip into the handle anymore...fortunately it is easy to replace it:

[/URL][/IMG]

http://img413.imageshack.us/i/sw2f.jpg/"][/URL]

S&W911 vs. V RT.avi
Mikov Rescue vs Spyderco Assist rope cutting test
VRT, S&W911, Mikov Rescue, Spyderco Assist- cięcie ubrań
Bandaże
Rescue knives underwater test
Test medyczny Spyderco Assist, Victorinox RT, Mikov Rescue, S&W911

My conclusions:

The winner for the proffesionals is Spyderco Assist, thanks to its lighweight though robust construction, good steel, one-hand scissors mode, very effective glassbreaker.

Victorinox RT is the rescue knife of choice for the non proffesional rescuer, something you may carry in your car, using it as a regular poket knife, but in case of emergency it is quite effective- it's a pity, that the seatbelts blade is not locked anyhow.

S&W911 is rather glassbreaker with attached, ineffective blade (at least in the tested version of the knife).

Mikov Rescue- interesting for being an automatic knife, and that's all. Heavy, not allowed in many coutries, ineffective GB, steel not as agressive as it should be, place this knife in my opinion somewhere on the collectioner's shelf, not the rescuer's pocket.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:44:46 PM by RNL »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Nice comparison!

I had a S&W First Responder as well- what a hunk of poorly built crapola it was.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Fantastic article there mate :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Great review and write up  :tu:  Thanks for sharing .

Offline RNL

(...)
I had a S&W First Responder as well- what a hunk of poorly built crapola it was.

Def

I agree, good glass breaker, though. I wonder is the version for the US Coast Guard any better- the one similar to this:

http://stores.vtfireandpolice.com/catalog/sw911.jpg

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 01:29:53 PM by RNL »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
(...)

Def

I agree, good glass breaker, though. I wonder is the version for the US Coast Guard any better- the one similar to this:

http://stores.vtfireandpolice.com/catalog/sw911.jpg

I was under the impression the U.S Coast Guard used Auto Benchmades .

Offline RNL

I was under the impression the U.S Coast Guard used Auto Benchmades .
[/quote]

You're perfectly right. I found such an info (about S&W911 being used by USCG) in one  of the Polish military magazines back in the late 90's, and I can't say if it was correct, probably not.

us Offline fly104857

Nice comparison!

Def
[/
quote]
Could"nt agree more,a s I too had the S&W. Dang handle broke within 6 mos. Now carry the Vic in my turnout jacket.

jp Offline yokomode

Been quite interested in the SAK Rescue Tool since i first saw it (pun?) .
Seems to be a fantastic 'all rounder' indeed.
Cant really say the same for the others covered in this review.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%