Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Latest SAK acquisition......and a question.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Latest SAK acquisition......and a question.
on: November 20, 2010, 04:29:28 PM
Just got this one last week, older Electrician model NIB...........

93mm in size, Alox scales with silver cross.........

Fit and finish is typical Vic, can't find a fault with it.........

Now I am no expert when it comes to SAK's, and aside from this one all of my other SAK's are of more modern production....as in the last 10 years. I know from what I have gathered on these and other forums that the Silver Cross versions are older than anything else I got but I can not find any date of manufacture on this thing or on the box it came in. The only tang stamps are on the mainblade.......

The dealer I got this one from stated that this piece was made circa 1996..........my question(s) is, is this right? Or is it older or newer? Anyway to know for sure?

Thanks for any help,

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Latest SAK acquisition......and a question.
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 04:59:23 PM
1996 is about right judging by the box it came in. A lot of people think the old style cross on the alox knives mean that they are very old ("vintage" as the eBay sellers like to claim) but the truth is Victorinox made regular production knives with the old cross up until 2001. They still, to this day, make the advertising knives with the old cross.

The silver Vic box with the red square in the center shows up in the early/mid 90s and lasts until the early 2000s, so that's about the best time frame you can put on that knife. Earlier and it would have come in the all-maroon box. Later than that and it would have been in the all silver box, and most likely had the new style alox cross on it.

Nice pic up - I saw those pop up on eBay for a great price, esp considering what other old style alox has been going for.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Re: Latest SAK acquisition......and a question.
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 05:20:31 PM
jazzbass,

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. Yeah, the dealer I got this from had a few of these earlier SAK's on Ebay for prices right at about what new ones are going for. Couldn't pass it up. And speaking of age and the type of boxes they come in, I guess I do have a SAK older than this one as I did get one in the all maroon box a while back. Just can't remember which one.  :think:

Guess I need to dig that box out and see. Thanks again!  :tu:

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%