Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New release from Case......lots of pics!

2xTap · 29 · 3641

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
New release from Case......lots of pics!
on: November 20, 2010, 06:16:17 PM
This bad boy just came out this week. Mine arrived last night via UPS from Red Hill Cutlery.........

This is another Case and Tony Bose collaboration piece, and the tang stamp bears Tony's initials.....

It's called the "Backpocket" and is a modern iteration based off of the classic Remington Bullet Trapper, of which many other makers have made similar knives like the Queen Mountain Man and GEC #23 Pioneer.

The knife is 4 5/8" closed with brass liners and pins, nickle/silver shield and bolsters, blade of Tru-Sharp Stainless, and scales of Dark Red jigged bone.

The frame is barehead (meaning it has no end cap...rear end bolster), and this area is drilled with a lanyard hole and sports a grommet. Fit and finish is superb. No gaps anywhere on this thing, backspring is stout but not a nailbreaker and the backspring sits flush with blade opened, closed, or at half stop. The long California Clip blade has zero play and is flawlessly mirror polished, sports a 3/4 length swedge, and has clean grinds and a cleanly honed razor sharp edge.....

This thing is put together and finished as good as the best I have in my collection. And given it's name it would work well carried in the backpocket given it's length but it is quite thin. Measured from it's widest area across the back (center pin area) I get a measurement of 7/16". For an idea of it's size here's some pics I took of the Backpocket alongside one of it's kin, a GEC #23 single blade Farmer.........

Not quite as burly and a bit less thick than it's GEC counterpart. The Backpocket is also a touch lighter in weight but is slightly longer. And with a price tag just under $80.00 it's generally a bit cheaper than most similar #23 pattern GEC's and running on par with the price tag of many Queen MM's. That said, it is WAY less expensive than getting a real custom made Tony Bose Backpocket.....which can set you back a few thousand!

All and all a great new release from Case with a F&F to match. For those who like big slippies, or are fond of this pattern of Trapper, these new Case Backpockets are a definite must have in my view.

2xTap  :2tu:
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: New release from Case......lots of pics!
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:19:44 PM
Lovely new shiny  :drool:

That red colour is stunning, and I love the blade shape too :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:23:04 PM
The blade resembles that of a LM Wave/Charge.  I like it a lot  :2tu:
SAW

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:23:56 PM
That's a sweet looking piece alright!  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:32:24 AM
Very nice as always 2xTap. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 02:23:30 AM
Thanks guys. Case, I believe, has built a winner in this new release.

The blade resembles that of a LM Wave/Charge.  I like it a lot  :2tu:

Actually it's the other way around. The Clip blade design has been around for centuries, on both fixed blades and slipjoints. The California style Clip has been around for many decades before Tim Leatherman was even born. Case has been building knives since 1889, and this pattern of Trapper originated in the early 1900's........so yes, the blade on the LM Wave/Charge is a Clip and does somewhat resemble the blade on the Backpocket.  ;)

2xTap  :D
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 03:17:57 PM
Nice review! I heard this new pattern was going to be built really well and it sounds like it. The ebony wood and dark molasses bone versions also look very nice. I also wonder why Case didn't just supply that leather lanyard that is sold separately for this model. Maybe folks would make their own?

us Offline sawman

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 03:23:51 PM
Are these going to be "limited" or does Case plan to let everyone in on this perfect knife ?
SAW

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 03:58:42 PM
Are these going to be "limited" or does Case plan to let everyone in on this perfect knife ?

This is a new production model. There were some limited "First Run" marked knives but it is not a limited edition pattern like the higher end Tony Bose collaboration knives.

us Offline sawman

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:55:00 PM

This is a new production model. There were some limited "First Run" marked knives but it is not a limited edition pattern like the higher end Tony Bose collaboration knives.
That's good to know because this would make a perfect EDC.  I'll be grabbing one of these as soon as I can  :cheers:
SAW

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 05:17:58 PM
TFF,

Thanks bud. If mine is any example then yes, they are building them real well. As to the lanyard I haven't seen those yet. But why it's not's included likely has to do with price point and profits. As this isn't a Case Custom piece like some of the other TB patterns they likely went for a certain price point for release to ensure many get into circulation and the pattern gets established with their key market. If there is a want for lanyards they'll make greater profits selling them seperately while keeping the knife's price point, and it'll make it easier to see if the lanyards aren't something people want.

sawman,

TFF explained it pretty well. New production model but not limited. Many Tony Bose collabs go through the Case Custom Shop, are high end, and pricey. These are always limited in runs. But other Bose patterns like the Sowbelly and Saddlehorn become regular production items and I do believe we are going to see this new Backpocket fall into the same. After this initial release we might see a few of these pop up in other already released series runs and then pop up in new annual editions and collector tin sets.

2xTap

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:01:48 PM
Beautiful knife, 'Tap.  I looked longingly at these on my last knife-time foraging, but didn't pull the trigger.  A couple of '31 pattern Canoes (one in CV!) and another Seahorse Whittler snagged me...  :D
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 10:13:47 PM
HBlaine,

Never can go wrong with Canoes or Seahorsies.....got plenty of them myself. But if you ever get the chance to pick one of these up I highly recommend it.

My buddy Marv at work is also a knife collector and he just picked up two of these himself. A Red one like mine and a 1st Production Run Molasses Bone version, both are rock solid and as seamless as mine. Case is doing these right!

2xTap

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 03:04:21 AM
Hey 'Tap,

I'd love to get hold of one of the Back Pocket models.  I really would.

Just got in off the road, and found a couple packages waiting for me.  Two Canoes, one with the jigged black synthetic handles, and one in Amber Bone, with CV blades.  If the weather wasn't so lousy, I'd be out on the Farm putting them through the paces for a bit.  May get out anyway, though... :D

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 04:06:20 PM
HBlaine,

Well, if you get out there bud, bring your camera along. Need some eye-candy of your new toys!  :pok:

2xTap  ;)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 04:25:30 PM
That's a good looking knife.  Proper colour for a pocket knife as well ;) :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 03:36:23 AM
Eye-Candy...  This is the jigged black-handle Canoe, which I've adopted as my carry for the weekend.
black-handleCase.jpg
* black-handleCase.jpg (Filesize: 101.62 KB)

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 03:42:38 AM
And here's the Amber-boned, with CV blades.  Beautiful knife.  My only complaint:  I just really don't care for the etching on the blade.   ::)
AmberCVCase.jpg
* AmberCVCase.jpg (Filesize: 110.75 KB)

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 03:46:52 AM
And, just for the heck of it, something odd in the mix.  A French Languiole with ebony wood handles...
LaguioleBlackHandle.jpg
* LaguioleBlackHandle.jpg (Filesize: 97.36 KB)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 06:36:14 AM
HBlaine,

Nice! The standard Canoe is such a great pocketable pattern.....you got some good examples there.

2xTap

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 11:27:00 PM
Thanks, 'Tap.  I really like'em.

Alas, i had to head back out the road this evening, and couldn't take all of them. :-\

I have the black-handle Canoe as my standard carry, though.  I figure it'll switch in/out with a SAK as needed.

(And, yeah, I did slip the ebony Laguiole down in one of my cases.   :D )

us Offline sawman

Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 03:26:32 PM
I've been thinking of these backpockets since you posted here and can't wait to get to some local displays to see one up close.  Only problem is, I think I'd prefer something other than red bone.
SAW

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 10:49:31 PM
HBlaine,

You know, I have the interest to try out a Laguiole. Eyed them from time to time but never to the jump. I see the prices on them from a couple different brands run anywhere from around $60.00 to nearly $200.00! Don't want junk but ain't paying a premium for one either. What brand is yours? I was looking at a Robert David in Buffalo Horn.

sawman,

Depending on the shops in your area it might be a while before these get out to all the dealers, some places are already sold out of them. Currently, aside from Red Bone, there are two other offerings for the Backpockets.........Molasses Bone and Ebony Wood. I handled a Molasses Bone one last week and it is good looking stuff.

2xTap

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 04:26:38 PM
HBlaine,

You know, I have the interest to try out a Laguiole. Eyed them from time to time but never to the jump. I see the prices on them from a couple different brands run anywhere from around $60.00 to nearly $200.00! Don't want junk but ain't paying a premium for one either. What brand is yours? I was looking at a Robert David in Buffalo Horn.

2xTap

Looks like a Forge de Laguiole brand. I have one that was gifted to me a couple of years back. Has very good walk and talk. A couple of minor areas in the liners and "shepherd's cross" pins that could have been smoothed out but overall a unique and nice knife. I haven't it used to cut much so I can't say how good the T12 stainless steel is but it takes a fine edge though.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 02:33:16 PM
TFF,

Thanks for the pics bud, that polish on the blade is impressive. I did a search for Forge de Laguiole but these are ones that are up there in price. Also looked at Fontenille.....beautiful knives but their prices are in the stratosphere.

Once my X-mas shopping is done and my bank account stabilizes I might snag me up a R. David to give these Laguiole's a go.

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 11:52:34 PM
Heads up guys, some more new Backpockets are coming from Case.

Backpocket in smooth Black G-10:

Backpocket in jigged Chestnut Bone:

The G-10 version will be out this month and the Chestnut Bone in March!

2xTap

Offline Lasse Eskildsen

Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 11:45:40 PM
That G10 sure is lovely  :drool: would you mind measuring if the blade is longer than 7cm? (the whole blade not just the sharpened part)
I asume it is  :(

us Offline sawman

Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 01:33:35 AM
I looked for the backpocket in Gander's Case display and did not see any.  I sure would like to handle one  :-\
SAW

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 04:18:59 AM
Lasse,

Oh yeah, these are good sized slipjoints. Blade is definitely longer than 7cm. Measuring from the end of the bolster to tip of the blade the entire blade length including tang comes in at 3.5 inches. Which makes it about 8.9 centimeters.

sawman,

No surprise, if your Gander Mountain is anything like the one by me they are slim in the knife department. I pretty much stopped going to my Gander, I find Bass Pro better. Although they are slow in getting new release stuff.

2xTap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%