Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Snow and ice car kits

Benner · 13 · 1374

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Snow and ice car kits
on: November 25, 2010, 02:18:04 PM
It's getting to that time of year where the ice is setting in and the talk of snow is already upon us.

For the last 3 winters I had a 4x4, so snow wasn't that much of an issue.  This year though I am front wheel drive only, so I am thinking more car prep is in order to get me to work down all the hilly country lanes.

So, what does anyone recommend or carry to help them travel in the snow?
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Snow and ice car kits
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:00:21 PM
Good tires.

If the tires have no grip, nothing else will help you.  A 4x4's only real benefit is that it gives you twice as many chances to have a drive wheel with grip, but since you've cut that in half, it's time to put some serious rubber under you. 

Michelin X-Ice are about as good as you can get without studs, but if they are legal in your area, and you have to deal with a lot of ice, I would suggest going with studs. 

Other than that, go slow and be careful and you should be ok.  I have driven in some of the worst weather Canada has to offer (and that's probably worse than you'll ever encounter!) without a problem simply because I was careful and never over-drove the vehicle's capabilities or the conditions.  Still, I would suggest that you spend some time in an empty parking lot practicing some skids so you can learn how to recover, assuming you don't already know.

That's about it- in cities you are usually less likely to have an issue as the constant traffic tends to keep the roads clear, so watch out on higher speed and less traveled routes.

As for what to keep in your car, I have a small tote with some chemical hand/foot warmers, a blanket, some candles and matches.  If for some reason you get stuck somewhere and can't get help, and for some reason you can't use the car heater, these things should help keep you from freezing.  Given that you have small children, you may want to double up with these items, as well as perhaps keep an extra flashlight (preferably a crank model) and some picture or coloring books to keep the wee ones amused, otherwise they may get scared.

Lastly, make certain before you leave the house, you have a flashlight that works, a charged cell phone and at least half a tank of gas.  Rationed well, a half tank of gas can keep you from freezing for a long time.

That's about all I can think of.  You may want to read about an incident here last year when you start to think this is overkill.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/11/21/cobequid-pass-langille.html

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 08:35:37 PM
Good snow brush and shovel, avoid any brush with plastic joints as those break when you need them most.

They also sell traction mat that goes under the tire but I've never tried any.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:42:22 PM
Good snow brush and shovel, avoid any brush with plastic joints as those break when you need them most.

They also sell traction mat that goes under the tire but I've never tried any.

Good points- I assumed that a snob brush and scraper were a given- they are around here, but it's still well worth mentioning!

I have been looking at traction mats at Costco lately- they have them for about $15/set, and they are basically just large scrubbing pads similar to the green ones you use for doing dishes.  I'm not sure how effective they are, as you may not want to stop to get them after you've started moving!  I usually toss a bag of kitty litter in the back of the car which adds traction (if it's a rear wheel drive) because of the weight, and provides a lot of grit when necessary. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 01:24:17 AM
Personally I've never encountered any situation that traction mat would've helped. If I can't get going it's either snow that's too deep to drive over, or a long steep hill. But get going in snow is rarely the problem, stopping is!

I do keep other things in my jeep, like a hatchet, lighter, steel shovel, jumper cable, tow strap, solid fuel stove etc. but they are in there all the time, not just winter.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:29:09 AM by jzmtl »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:49:14 AM
You only came here in the summer! 

Ice is the big killer here.  Driving home from work last year I stopped almost half a dozen times in less than 5 miles to help push people's cars to get them moving.  It's made worse by the fact that this city is mostly hills, and the salt means that the ice is almost always wet.  I've even slid quite a ways in my Jeep, which is why I'm seriously looking at some studded tires this year.

And, in true Multitool.org fashion, the hatchet I keep in the Jeep is an Ontario Knives SPAX!  :D

Def

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 02:18:21 AM
I keep alot of stuff in the boot of my car for emergencies, I won't go through it all :).

In cold and wet weather like the UK gets a poncho would be a good idea - if its hailing/sleet you don't want to get completely soaked whilst changing a tyre etc.  I usually carry a tarp with some rope and stakes as well which can be used for lots of things including keeping you (sorta :)) dry when trying to get under the vehicle.

A tow rope?  Had to drag a car out of a tunnel a few months ago after it crashed into the wall and occluded the tunnel.  Tow rope was invaluable.  Not sure if it'll be of too much use if its completely icy but maybe it'll help get someone out of a slippery spot.

Blankets, handwarmers, firelighting equipment and some extra clothes.  I sometimes go as far as to pack a small gas camping stove for long car trips incase I break dow in the middle of nowhere adn could do with a brew.  one guy I know uses his Whisperlite to heat the cab of his ute when he sleeps in it - can't say its safe but it does keep him warm :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 03:21:53 AM
You only came here in the summer! 

Ice is the big killer here.  Driving home from work last year I stopped almost half a dozen times in less than 5 miles to help push people's cars to get them moving.  It's made worse by the fact that this city is mostly hills, and the salt means that the ice is almost always wet.  I've even slid quite a ways in my Jeep, which is why I'm seriously looking at some studded tires this year.

And, in true Multitool.org fashion, the hatchet I keep in the Jeep is an Ontario Knives SPAX!  :D

Def

Oh god, I don't even want to imagine what driving home is like if it were ice here! I swear whenever it rains driver's IQ drops by 50 pts, and if it snows it drop by 100.

I actually pursued the idea of a set of (4) tire chains, but since I commute on highway it's not possible, might work for you thou.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 10:01:26 AM
We have a 4x4 wheel, too. With winter tires. Most of the time more is not allowed on the roads anyway. Snow chains are only allowed when its really extreme, and tires with spikes are not allowed at all.

Just yesterday I put some useful things in the car. A blanket, some spare water, a small cooker and some tea-bags, some cookies, and some chemical hand and foot warmers. Spare boots, flashlight and a brush and an ice scraper were already in the car.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 03:20:09 PM
I don't think chains are legal for use on the roads here.  In fact, I was surprised to find that studs were.  I guess since our roads here are mostly made from potholes cemented together, no one cares much about causing them damage!

Def

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 04:02:16 PM
50 pound bag of salt...

Definetely helps getting you moving at times...Put the Bag in a couple of garbage bags to help prevent and corrosion issues and you are in there like swimwear. The weight also helps keep your bag axle down and gripping while going through corners

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 12:29:00 AM
With the snow being so early this year I'm going to go check to see what's in my car.  I know I don't have a stove in there, but I suspect I've got most anything else in there already. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 01:08:24 AM
Funny the other day driving too work in my beat up 96 Mitsubishi Lancer I was thinking how nice it was having air-conditioning ,it was 35 degree c , we got it tough 'Down Under'  :P :D :D. My previous car a 66 Chrysler did not have aircon  :D :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75