Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

carbon steel multi tool

Offline ausjulius

• were in dagestan , and make knives ..
carbon steel multi tool
on: October 15, 2006, 09:30:25 PM
hi , well im new here, but anyway , ive owned 3 or 4 decent multitools, (and lots and lots of shoddy chinese ones, that are good for using for throwing around , and when your fishing, 5$ and if you loose it its nothign to get upset about,)

anyway one thing that bugged me with the multi tool was that  the pliers never were very good at cutting , ever on the good quality modles,

apart from haveing a sheat type of cutter rather than a clipper type cutter,, theya re mostly in softer stainless steel,
no ide like a multi tool with a  solid carbon steel head, as on a good quality pair of pliers,,,
what do you folk think of it?

oh yeah , the company i work for , we tried to make a multi tool once,, but failed,, it would have ended up costing afew100$,  as it was all made by hand,,
is there any custom maker sout there who have made multi tools??
m

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: carbon steel multi tool
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 11:58:13 PM
I know of a few older multi tools (before Leatherman) that were made from carbon steel, then nickel plated or chrome plated to prevent rust. The only recent multi tool I can think of with carbon steel pliers is this one, made by Seki for A.G. Russel Cutlery.

A.G. Russell Pocket Tool Box.jpg
* A.G. Russell Pocket Tool Box.jpg (Filesize: 57.95 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:40:13 AM
Ugh... why can't I find that A.G. Russell one for sale anywhere?  Is it an older one?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 02:46:04 AM
I bought mine about five years ago. A.G. Russell sends me a new sales catalog every few months, but I haven't seen the Pocket Tool Box listed for quite some time.

I'll do some searching and let you know if I find anything.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ausjulius

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:13:08 PM
the pliers on that one ook nice,,,,,,,
but i can still see a cross cut on the jaws,, :(......
i was thinkning with a decent wire cutter a clipper , ie they re both on the same side, not cross cutting,, which dosnt work so well,,
still it looks good,,,,
so who were the makers of these things before leatherman?
i know that they were made in england in the 1870s or so, and that the oss used them in ww2 wuth a special tire cutter on them,,,
but ive never seen anything of them being common after ww2,,,,,,,

m

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 10:05:29 PM
There were many plier multi tools and wrench multi tools before Leatherman. Most are quite rare these days. I am working on an article to post here on Multitool.org about these antique tools. Here are three examples below.

The first is a Barnett Plier Knife, made in U.S.A. around 1900.

The second was made by the Hugo Bauermann company in Solingen, Germany, around 1950

The third is an electrician's multi tool, made in France around 1950.
Barnett.jpg
* Barnett.jpg (Filesize: 38.51 KB)
Bauermann.jpg
* Bauermann.jpg (Filesize: 39.22 KB)
L'electric.jpg
* L'electric.jpg (Filesize: 30.64 KB)

Offline ausjulius

Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 08:13:50 PM
wow, nice old knives.. ar ethey yours.. ? i know that they multi tool  with a plier has been around fro some 130 years or so... but i wounder why leatherman made it take off  like it did.........

one thing, although you guys love leathermans,,  i will say the cast stainless steel haeds on all multi tools are,,, well not so strong, and rather foft,, and the crosscut pliers aint good atall,, .

a forged good quality carbon steel head woudl be realy good,,,

anyway folks, i work for a company, and although we arnt the the best known factory in the world we have an oppertunaty to make a multi tool,, :D, and im trying to think of a way to make somethign good, atleast s good as what the other lot make, and alittle different,  two things that always bugged me as the multi tools made shoddy pliers,, and the steel in the heads wasnt good, also the pivit pin on the head was not so  solit either,, :(..
id rather a  solid plier head of  good carbon tool steel something used in the  stamps and  such,, . make it nice and hard and a very solid pin..

been looking into some things,, seems a realy nice multi tool can be rather costly in materials,,
m

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 08:25:51 PM
There are pics somewhere of a WW2 era 'escape' tool...plier heads with razorwire/fence cutters and three metal cutting blades, and a file I think. 
[

Offline ausjulius

Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 08:51:19 PM
yes it was english made, joseph rogers or such i think , it had some tire puncturing baldes on it i remember , busting the old hermans   car tires when you escaped i guess ,, kind of last revenge, i understand they dropped some of these to the french resistance groups.....
m

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 09:07:49 PM
busting the old hermans   car tires when you escaped i guess ,, kind of last revenge,

Revenge...and it left the enemy with no way of chasing you!

I'm sure the puncturing tool was put there for puncturing guards' necks also if it came to that...
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 11:14:25 PM
I love it when you guys talk about these old tools!

Above is a Joseph Rodgers OSS Escape Tool. It has a spear point blade, three metal-cutting saws, and a short blade sharpened on both sides to a point. I've seen this same blade on a number of different British knives from both World Wars. The concensus seems to be that it is a tool for opening canned foods, primarily the famous tins of "bully beef."

~Bob

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 02:30:27 AM
I love it when you guys talk about these old tools!

I love it when you post pictures of these old tools!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%