Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Big Swiss

wilson · 18 · 2733

Offline wilson

Big Swiss
on: November 27, 2010, 09:00:51 AM
It seems the most popular saks on this and other forums are the smaller saks.
Comfort and ease of use are the main reasons cited for wanting a smaller sak.
Usually it's about three layers,or less that most seem to prefer.
What I'm wondering is,who carries the BIGGIES,say five layers, or more?
I carry a Swiss Champ everyday.Is there anyone else that carries the big boys?

ca Offline Stirling3749

Re: Big Swiss
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:13:42 AM
I EDC a Swisstool Spirit X. okay maybe it's not a Swiss army knife per se but it's pretty big in my opinion.
Actually looking to replace it with something small like a Vic Compact or something on most days as I'm starting to see why most prefer the smaller, lighter tools.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:47:42 AM
What I carry is totally dependant on what I'm expecting to do and what my mood is, so I'll carry anything form an Ambassador to a Swiss Champ.  Just so happens today I've gone for a biggie and have my Champion on my belt.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:01:05 AM
It also depends on how you carry your SAK. I EDC a Cybertool 34 which is pretty fat for a 5-layer knife (the bit driver is a big layer). But I always carry it in my laptop bag, so the size doesn't matter at all. For pocket carry, I'd say 2 or maybe 3 layers is the max. I've pocket carried a Huntsman for years and I always found it too big :D

This has nothing to do with ease of use of course ;)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:08:42 AM
Cybertool 41 with Timekeeper scales for me.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:40:21 AM
I edc a Swisschamp both at home and work :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 01:05:31 PM
I carry a Cybertool 34 almost everyday. But in my bag, not in my pocket. Pockets on womens pants are usually quite small, no chance to fit a larger SAK in there  :rant:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 02:11:35 PM
I carry a Cybertool 34 almost everyday. But in my bag, not in my pocket. Pockets on womens pants are usually quite small, no chance to fit a larger SAK in there  :rant:

Sounds like you need a Cadet, Turnstone, or maybe an Alox Bantam. :pok: :D

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 02:36:27 PM

Sounds like you need a Cadet, Turnstone, or maybe an Alox Bantam. :pok: :D
I EDC a Compact (or a Cadet on special occasions) in my pants pocket  ;) But I like to have my Cybertool with me, too.

spam Offline radioz

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 07:50:03 PM
One of my favorites it the Vic Ranger.

Although it has 5 layers, it is pretty compact and easily pocketable (for me anyway).

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 03:13:39 AM
I EDC a Handyman , no problems .

Chris

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 04:07:28 AM
It's really only three layers, but between the plier layer and the thicker Evolution scales, the New Ranger 73 isn't small:

It is also firmly lodged in my EDC roation, and lately has spent an awful lot of it's time in the Jeep.  It came in handy when I blew a fuse using my new super powered tire pump.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 04:28:25 PM
Sacred cows to be poked in 3,2,1...  ;)

I think the traditional SAK hits a case of diminishing returns of size vs function when it hits 4 layers. Any model of  Swisstool can do what a 4+ layer SAK can do and in a slimmer package (and also with useful pliers).

and frankly, my Juice CS4 is preferable over a 4+ layer SAK.

So if I need to have more tools than what a 3 layer SAK can give me, then I either opt for a Juice or Swisstool.  I usually EDC a 3 layer SAK with either a Juice CS4 or Swisstool. Lately, it's been the SAK and Juice.

But I see pocket tools and SAKS as stop-gap tools for small jobs, not as replacements for dedicated tools.  That perspective shapes my attitude towards what I feel I need to have on my EDC. My toolbox is in the trunk of my car if I need it. 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:39:45 PM by shamus »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 06:51:45 PM
I carry a CT34 every day, and before that I regularly EDC'd a Swisschamp.
I'm back!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 12:49:31 AM
I'll happily pocket carry a Craftsman, which is 6 layers I think.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:23 AM
It seems the most popular saks on this and other forums are the smaller saks.
What I'm wondering is,who carries the BIGGIES,say five layers, or more?

We – people are different, so everybody prefers something else.

Occassionaly I carry Huntsman Lite - 5 layers.
But mostly I go for thinner SAKs for EDC... (max 3-layers)

It is because:
- in my everyday life I hardly ever use saws, pliers... (if I would have another proffession – my needs would be of course different.)
- for 2 or 3 layers knives - there are many options when it goes to scales and another options to choose: different colors, different materials, Evo-scales, wooden scales, soft-touch scales, stay-glow scales, ... the "fat SAKs" have not all those possibilities and variants, just some of them. And in hand I prefer the thinner SAK too...
Yes – the scales are not so important, but it is good feeling... And in present days I most carry "Coffin" Wenger with scissors.

When someone prefers Alox, then he mostly EDCs Soldier, Farmer or something and that is always max 3-layers. (Just few of us have the "Fat-Alox-Mod".)

From time to time I think that it would be good to have pliers or magnifier. But for those occasion I would make me a mod – so I would carry two knives:

1st knife - Mod: 2 layers – Pliers, cross-screwdriver + magnifier (or 3-layers + metal saw?)
2nd knife - then I can freely choose any 2-3 layers from my older knives with different scales from Victorinox or Wenger.
(always present Serrated Esquire from Wenger or Classic or SwissLite on key chain I don´t count as "knife carrying" – that is normal and usual...)
F

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 03:55:10 PM
I love my swisschamp, but the swisstool also has a place.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 10:43:47 PM
I usually prefer two or 3 layer saks for comfortable pocket carry, but I change my EDC based on what I might want or need that day. 

I carried a ranger all weekend, because I was working back stage and had been modifying props so I wanted the saw and the file and then the scissors for strings on costumes and stuff like that.  It was very handy and only a little bigger than what I liked.  The other day, I carried a deluxe tinker and as it turns out, someone jokingly asked me if I had pliers and were a little shocked when I pulled out the pliers.   They worked perfectly and so that was a happy coincidence. 

One thing I noticed is that if I carry a SAK with a lot of layers (6 or 7), it can actually sit more comfortably in my jean pockets because they lay differently in the pocket. Most of my 2 or 3 layer SAKs end up with the layers parallel to the front of the leg.  At about 6 or 7 layers, the SAK layers will be perpendicular to my leg so the apparent thickness isn't so bad.  Weight wise, it is heavier, but when I'm wearing jeans the bulk is less noticeable.  The annoying SAKs are right at about 4 or 5 layers where they don't seem to sit right either way.  I only noticed this when I happened to stick a swiss champ in my pocket the other day because I didn't have a free hand to get it into the sheath and then forgot it was there for a little bit.  Anyone else ever noticed this? 
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%