Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth

Dunc · 257 · 122636

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth
Reply #150 on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:37 PM
well looks like mines a 1998 model  :tu:

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #151 on: May 20, 2010, 06:17:40 AM

Not even run in then  :)
Gabba gabba hey!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #152 on: May 20, 2010, 07:43:41 AM

not yet chris  ;)

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #153 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:33 PM
So, does the Spirit have the same awesome pliers as the OG SwissTool?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #154 on: June 15, 2010, 11:38:43 PM
No the Spirits are smaller and a little more needlenose .

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #155 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:08 AM

But do they hinge the same way? Do you know?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #156 on: June 16, 2010, 09:01:38 AM

But do they hinge the same way? Do you know?

No that depends , Early swisstool hinged the other way .So the Spirit hinges the same way as the last two tools in this pic ...

Check out the Spirit and Swisstool sticky threads at the top of the forum . They make great reading for anyone interested in Swisstools  ;)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #157 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:20 AM

and the odd thing chris is its a year older than the wave that started all this for me  :D

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #158 on: April 22, 2011, 02:03:43 PM
I think normal 'proper' or 'real' pliers have not changed the configuation to the way Vic does it because lets be honest here, your not ment to use pliers to undo nuts when there a proper spanners to do the job! I know i wouldn't as it damages and marks the nuts. It just happens to be that the coarse jaw could be used use to grip a nut in an emergency situation out in the field. You dont carry or use a pair of pliers to work on fasteners as an alternative to spanners or sockets. Plier jaws were never intended to undo/do up fasteners. So thats why i think proper plier manufacturers have not seen the need to go this way as they do not design their pliers to do that sort of job. Multi tools are a bit different because they are more intended as tool you carry that can do a lot of jobs that specific tools are designed for but they do not do everything as well as a specific tool for that job can do. And a multi tool is more aimed at being a tool that is mobile, meaning you carry it on yourself, in your car or on your bike when dont want to or cant carry a lot of tools but this one multi tool may just be able get you out of a tricky situation at some point and it just happens that the plier jaw 'could' be used to grip a nut in an emergency situation when you dont have the proper tool for the job and i think Victorinox just saw an area where the function of the pliers could be improved for this a little more and LM and Gerber probably think that the gain is too little to bother about it? No professional tradesman, especially a mechanic would be using a multi tool in the workshop and especially not for using on fasteners. There would be many complains from cutomers with butchered nuts on their vehicle or machinery. They all have much better tools do do specific jobs.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:08:43 PM by Cyclone82 »

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #159 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:49 PM
Has this been posted yet? Hope i can put it here.

Victorinox SwissTool Spirit

The Victorinox Emblem (cross and shield) was removed from the pliers head in 2010. The product images on our website have not been updated yet.

I got a picture i PDF,its to large, basially it shows that until 2010 cross and shield emblem is on, then from 2010 an interim model without emblem on plier, finally also from 2010 a change on the emblem on handle. The logo is over Victorinox and not besides, hope this makes sence?

P.s Picture in PDF is protected also...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:55:44 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #160 on: June 24, 2011, 05:09:31 PM
OK I was instructed to do the washing up so I promptly got cracking mucking around with MTs , electronic scales & a new camera  ::) ::) :D :D.

I have 3 standard configuration SwissTools(but far from standard  ;) :D).At top is a very first 1997 model , a Aussie Army issue BO with 2005 plier head & at bottom a Signature Swisstool with a 1998 plier head.

97 left , 98 middle & 05 at right.

OK the electric scales ,  both the 97 & 98 Swisstools weighed in at a identical 279 grams or 9.841 ounces both do not have a hard wire cutting notch. I was interested to see how much difference the 2005's more chunky pliers would have to the Swisstools weight. The BO 2005 pliers Swisstool weighed in at 289 grams or  10.194 ounces. As far as I can tell the majority of that extra 10 grams weight has gone into the 05's pliers  :think:

The 05's phillips head screw driver is slightly blunt when compared to the 97 & 98's. Photo does not show it very well  :( :(

The 05's file is a LOT more course when compared to the 97 & 98's , more like a Spirit's which is on the left. I vaguely remember someone saying the BO SwissTool's got the courser file  :think: :think: :think:.

Awls look the same  :think: :think: , not quite  :D :D.

Earlier SwissTool's have a groove in the other side  :think: :think:. I wonder if it was a strength issue or a simplification in the manufacturing process that lead to the groove going  :think: :think:.

OK that is what happens when I am meant to be tidying up  ::) ::) :D :D.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #161 on: June 25, 2011, 06:45:33 PM
Comparing tools is always funner than cleaning up. :salute: :D An extra 10 grams just in the plier head :o The fathead model is a big chunk of metal certainly, but I had not guessed it made that much difference. (And don't forget, some amount of weight gain from '98 to '05 would be offset by the metal removed for the bigger corkscrew/accessory slots) :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #162 on: June 25, 2011, 07:42:37 PM
How is it I can take so much pleasure is cleaning up an old tool and then absolutely detest washing dishes? ::)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #163 on: July 01, 2011, 11:12:09 PM
Great pics Mat  :tu:  I prefer the 98 plier head and the early awl .Although I'm quite happy to carry a 05 model as EDC .

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Reply #164 on: July 15, 2011, 06:56:46 PM
Great post, so I guess my dates from 1998 then. I acquired it a couple of years ago as an airport confiscation.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #165 on: July 17, 2011, 01:59:33 AM
That's a '98 alright! :salute: Some folks like it the best because the jaws open wider than the later versions. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #166 on: July 17, 2011, 04:35:00 AM
Why are the 97 and 99 heads so hard to find?

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Reply #167 on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:34 AM
That's a '98 alright! :salute: Some folks like it the best because the jaws open wider than the later versions. :)

Well I was really surprised to learn how old my SwissTool is. Bought it a couple of years ago as an airport confiscation. Was like new when I got it. Victorinox quality has always amazed me. Interesting side note it has a Colas engraving on the handle, after some research I think they are an engineering company. What a cool present from your employers to receive.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #168 on: July 17, 2011, 02:05:33 PM
Why are the 97 and 99 heads so hard to find?

I'm not really sure Terry. :think: The pliers themselves from those years are fine....Must be they just didn't make many of them. :-\

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #169 on: October 13, 2011, 07:12:05 AM
Never been a big fan of the SwissTool plier head.  It's too stunted, for lack of a better word, for me that is.  I like the plier head on the Spirit though.  Just right, not too short and not overly needle nosed.
[

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #170 on: December 26, 2011, 11:25:17 PM
I just got a swisstool rs for christmas and the plier head looks just like the 2005 one but there is no vic logo on the plier head at all. Also the victorinox logo on the handle is different than all the ones i've seen pictures of. It has the logo above the word "victorinox" instead of infront of it. I'll try and get some pics.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #171 on: December 27, 2011, 01:00:07 AM
I just got a swisstool rs for christmas and the plier head looks just like the 2005 one but there is no vic logo on the plier head at all. Also the victorinox logo on the handle is different than all the ones i've seen pictures of. It has the logo above the word "victorinox" instead of infront of it. I'll try and get some pics.

Sounds like they updated the SwissTool the same way they updated the Spirit. :think: Looking forward to seeing the pictures. :salute:

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #172 on: December 29, 2011, 01:52:59 AM
Just some crappy cell phone pictures for now since my camera is toast. Some pictures of the tool and the sheath.

The picture of the plier head isn't great because of the angle and lighting but there is no logo on either side of the plier head.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #173 on: December 29, 2011, 02:32:26 AM
Just some crappy cell phone pictures for now since my camera is toast. Some pictures of the tool and the sheath.

The picture of the plier head isn't great because of the angle and lighting but there is no logo on either side of the plier head.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yep, its definitely different than before. (2005 version shown below) I wonder when they changed it? :think:

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #174 on: December 29, 2011, 03:39:32 AM
yeah I wonder when it got changed. Mine was bought a few weeks before christmas at an outdoor store in canada. I know they use to have the 05 model because I remember looking at the logo on the plier head. That would of been 5 or 6 months ago when I looked at that one, so sometime between then and now they've started selling this one.

Besides the markings, I can't see anything else thats different between mine and pictures of the 05 RS ones.

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #175 on: December 29, 2011, 03:42:08 AM

Yep, its definitely different than before. (2005 version shown below) I wonder when they changed it? :think:

LOL did you just take that picture or have you had it for awhile? It's like identical to mine.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #176 on: December 30, 2011, 06:34:35 AM
I just took it :D

us Offline carl

Reply #177 on: December 21, 2012, 12:58:30 AM

About the file - is it the newer aggressive one (similar to the Spirit) or the older non-aggressive one that most of us don't like too much?

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #178 on: December 21, 2012, 07:50:59 PM
 have been chasing this plier head with no shield for some time and no luck, but today I landed a swisstool with a sheepsfoot serrated blade. I have never seen that before. Anyone else see it?
so now I have swisstools with
serrated
sheepfoot serrated
rescue serrated
and butter serrated on the spirit.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #179 on: December 21, 2012, 11:39:56 PM
have been chasing this plier head with no shield for some time and no luck, but today I landed a swisstool with a sheepsfoot serrated blade. I have never seen that before. Anyone else see it?
so now I have swisstools with
serrated
sheepfoot serrated
rescue serrated
and butter serrated on the spirit.
You had to know someone was going to say this, right?

:worthless:

:D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%