Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth

Dunc · 257 · 122540

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth
Reply #240 on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:16 PM
Perhaps my research is incomplete. I was shopping for a Swisstool when I noticed the CS Plus and the Spirit Plus both seem to lack the crimping tool (for splicing or capping electrical wire).
My Leatherman ST200 has the crimper that I'm talking about below the hinge.
(Image removed from quote.)

Did I just not see it? Is there a Swisstool with a crimper and where is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SwissTools don't have that feature, but the newer 91/111mm pliers do. Some of them (ST's) have cap crimpers, but that's a tool for explosive detonators, which most of us will never have any use for. Even the vast majority of military personnel don't need a cap crimper MT, so I have always found it a strange addition. I have used the Spirit wire cutters for crimping electrical connectors, which worked fine for repairs or incidental stuff, but if I am planning to do a lot of wiring, I like to have dedicated tools along.

:tu:

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #241 on: November 14, 2017, 06:41:09 PM
 :shrug: Still trying to get any input regarding the 1997 Swiss Tool with Victorinox logo and shield centered on the pliers but so far no response from SwissTool experts out there :(  I'm not familiar with all different Swiss Tool models and as far as I understand, logo and shield emblem were centered on the pliers only in 1997. Does this makes it rare and more collectible?

“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #242 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:39 PM
I'm not an expert so likely totally wrong but here is my two cents.
Rare, I don't think so. Collectable, to the right person yeah sure. Would they pay a lot for it, probably not.
It's definitely a cool piece but I wouldn't feel bad putting it to work.

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #243 on: November 15, 2017, 06:44:14 PM
Thanks zoi !
 I guess not to many out there in the SwissTool world are familiar with this pliers variation since you were the only one who responded :D  Anyhow, there's one selling on eBay for $150 and I was just curious since the seller claims is very rare.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #244 on: November 15, 2017, 07:17:49 PM
I think when it comes to sites like the bay and the word rare, the seller is counting on the buyer being in the moment and not doing any research.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #245 on: November 16, 2017, 12:04:51 PM
If you read about the history (on this site, sakwiki, and elsewhere), the pliers based MT was a market Vic was trying to get into back in the mid '90s. They invested a lot into acquiring the patent for outside opening tools and offered a few different MTs initially, the SwissTool, AutoTool and SportRatchet around the same time. It seems that after the introduction only the SwissTool had enough interest to continue and they made improvements and increased prodution the next year, also offering tool variations (X, RS) '98 and later. I think the '97s are collectable, and also being 20 years old now are getting harder to find. I have not seen the prodution numbers, but judging by the availability of the '97 vs. the subsequent years, it seems to have been a more limited amount to test the market. I felt fairly lucky to have found one in good unused condition, but also while I think they are somewhat rare and collectable, I didn't pay any more for it than any other year model. Again, maybe this was only lucky for me that the seller was unaware of the age or history of it, or didn't consider it collectable.  :salute:

edit: Just looked at the auction listing for $150, "very rare" is definitely overstating it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:12:40 PM by twiliter »

Offline stugumby

Reply #246 on: February 02, 2018, 03:07:51 PM
The 98 pattern tools will transition from a round hole to elongated hole lanyard/corkscrew attachment point.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #247 on: February 05, 2018, 11:11:08 PM
The 98 pattern tools will transition from a round hole to elongated hole lanyard/corkscrew attachment point.

Not sure when the changeover was, but yes the earlier ones had a round hole in the pliers springs.

Just noticed how badly photobucketed this thread is now.  :facepalm:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #248 on: February 06, 2018, 12:24:57 AM
I believe mine is either a 98 or a 99 model,  I've had it since then. My hole in elongated for the corkscrew. I've got the CS Plus toolkit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline aikon2014

Reply #249 on: March 09, 2018, 07:10:50 PM
Are the pliers adjustable like the Leathermans?

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #250 on: April 05, 2018, 10:30:49 PM
Are the pliers adjustable like the Leathermans?
No, the Swisstool pliers aren't adjustable.
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #251 on: April 12, 2018, 05:30:00 AM

Not sure when the changeover was, but yes the earlier ones had a round hole in the pliers springs.

Just noticed how badly photobucketed this thread is now.  :facepalm:

This isn't the only forum suffering from Photobucket's insanity. Every long-running forum has the same problem and the worst part is how it's hit the older "sticky" threads that had great information in them.

I keep getting SPAM emails from them wanting me to spend a fortune on a subscription. It was their prerogative to do what they did per free user terms and conditions, but the animus they've generated toward their brand name will outlive the lifetime of those at Photobucket that decided to do it. I can understand how they had to change the business model as their hosting and bandwidth costs for all the free folks were killing them financially. They were the primary "go-to" for eBay sellers and you can only imagine what that did to their bandwidth consumption. However, their financial and business model course correction was beyond Draconian wanting hundreds per year from people to post images on other sites. It undoubtedly accomplished what they wanted, a dramatic reduction in bandwidth consumption but don't believe they considered the long-term backlash and loss of Good Will toward their brand name. Haven't added a single photo to their site since then.

I don't go on the site anymore unless I've got an excellent ad blocker running full tilt, and it's only to download and recover photos I uploaded there before their insanity. The relentless ads are beyond annoying, popping out from every side and covering over what you're trying to do and look at, many of them blaring video at full volume.

John

Offline stugumby

Reply #252 on: July 16, 2018, 07:29:04 PM
With the reversing of the pivot direction and strengthening of the plier heads the handle spread is getting worse with every modification. Slim indeed are the 98-2002, from then on its wider and wider. Got a 2015 with the new style sheeps foot and its hard to grip when using the pliers. Gotta say the leathermans are going the same way as well with side kick/wingman and Rev.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #253 on: April 11, 2023, 10:12:13 AM
I may have a Swiss Tool anomaly here. It has the '98 Vic-and-shield-stamped Plier head on it, but with the earlier.......97 ??... "no-hard-wire-notch".
It has the round hole for the Corkscrew, and it has the fluted Reamer, which also dates it early (according to these pages).
Blades are Spear-Point PE, and Spear-Point SE.
File is the "old" non-aggressive cutter, similar to that found on old SAK Champions or Mountaineers.

I picked up one of these yesterday for a song.
Absolutely unused, still with the factory lubrication.
The leather sheath has never been used.
In its original packaging and with its original instructions.
It will be my new daily carry.
I only buy knives to be used.
tools is what defines us as humans

de Offline peddy v

• ...more like a wizard than a knight
Reply #254 on: April 18, 2023, 07:43:38 PM
My 98 Swisstool x had the elongated hole, so they designed a pocket clip in 2021 or so that fits on a 20 year old tool, thats what i love about Victorinox, they are here for the long run. My Swisstool BS from 2022 had crimpers in the Plier, did not like that and Victorinox put regular ones in it, alongside with replacing the "wavy" blade with scissors. Their service is phenomenal.

* Screenshot 2022-09-26 112305.jpg (Filesize: 12.03 KB)

* swisstool xbs compr.jpg (Filesize: 136.77 KB)

de Offline peddy v

• ...more like a wizard than a knight
Reply #255 on: April 18, 2023, 07:48:16 PM
Thats how the original plierhead from the BS looked before Vic changed it for me:)

* 1661516914889.jpg (Filesize: 122.42 KB)

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #256 on: April 18, 2023, 10:31:00 PM
Here some pliers heads, i know that oldest is between 97-98 (since round hole in spring and groove on awl)

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD