Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth 93387

No Life Club Posts: 4,055 Sunday morning is every day for all I care.
Re: Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »
Perhaps my research is incomplete. I was shopping for a Swisstool when I noticed the CS Plus and the Spirit Plus both seem to lack the crimping tool (for splicing or capping electrical wire).
My Leatherman ST200 has the crimper that I'm talking about below the hinge.
(Image removed from quote.)

Did I just not see it? Is there a Swisstool with a crimper and where is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SwissTools don't have that feature, but the newer 91/111mm pliers do. Some of them (ST's) have cap crimpers, but that's a tool for explosive detonators, which most of us will never have any use for. Even the vast majority of military personnel don't need a cap crimper MT, so I have always found it a strange addition. I have used the Spirit wire cutters for crimping electrical connectors, which worked fine for repairs or incidental stuff, but if I am planning to do a lot of wiring, I like to have dedicated tools along.

:tu:
Sr. Member Posts: 302
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2017, 06:41:09 PM »
 :shrug: Still trying to get any input regarding the 1997 Swiss Tool with Victorinox logo and shield centered on the pliers but so far no response from SwissTool experts out there :(  I'm not familiar with all different Swiss Tool models and as far as I understand, logo and shield emblem were centered on the pliers only in 1997. Does this makes it rare and more collectible?

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 31,876
« Reply #242 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:39 PM »
I'm not an expert so likely totally wrong but here is my two cents.
Rare, I don't think so. Collectable, to the right person yeah sure. Would they pay a lot for it, probably not.
It's definitely a cool piece but I wouldn't feel bad putting it to work.
Sr. Member Posts: 302
« Reply #243 on: November 15, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
Thanks zoi !
 I guess not to many out there in the SwissTool world are familiar with this pliers variation since you were the only one who responded :D  Anyhow, there's one selling on eBay for $150 and I was just curious since the seller claims is very rare.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 31,876
« Reply #244 on: November 15, 2017, 07:17:49 PM »
I think when it comes to sites like the bay and the word rare, the seller is counting on the buyer being in the moment and not doing any research.
No Life Club Posts: 4,055 Sunday morning is every day for all I care.
« Reply #245 on: November 16, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »
If you read about the history (on this site, sakwiki, and elsewhere), the pliers based MT was a market Vic was trying to get into back in the mid '90s. They invested a lot into acquiring the patent for outside opening tools and offered a few different MTs initially, the SwissTool, AutoTool and SportRatchet around the same time. It seems that after the introduction only the SwissTool had enough interest to continue and they made improvements and increased prodution the next year, also offering tool variations (X, RS) '98 and later. I think the '97s are collectable, and also being 20 years old now are getting harder to find. I have not seen the prodution numbers, but judging by the availability of the '97 vs. the subsequent years, it seems to have been a more limited amount to test the market. I felt fairly lucky to have found one in good unused condition, but also while I think they are somewhat rare and collectable, I didn't pay any more for it than any other year model. Again, maybe this was only lucky for me that the seller was unaware of the age or history of it, or didn't consider it collectable.  :salute:

edit: Just looked at the auction listing for $150, "very rare" is definitely overstating it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:12:40 PM by twiliter »

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
December Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: $190.00
PayPal Fees: $10.79
Net Balance: $179.21
Below Goal: $95.79
Site Currency: USD
65% 
December Donations

Community Links