Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any vegetarian's in the crowd ?

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Any vegetarian's in the crowd ?
on: October 10, 2007, 02:41:44 PM
After suffering from weekly bouts with the gout since March, with little or no relieve from Rx drugs I have converted to being 100% vegetarian. It's been 5 weeks since my last piece of animal / seafood protein and have not suffered a gout attack since, plus losing 15 pounds.

I can honestly say I fell a lot better and the recipes are very appealing to my tastes, finding the meals to be more filling and lasting so I find my self not raiding the icebox while watching TV at night.

Just wondering if I was alone on this venture.

One thing I have learned is that Tofu is vile and is not fit for human consumption. 
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Any vegetarian's in the crowd ?
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 02:49:05 PM
I have heard great things about vegetarian diets, and I have been trying to worm more and more vegetables into my diet, but I don't think I am ready to give up meat, and I doubt I ever will.  Some of my all time favorite foods are steaks, roast beef or pork... you know, simple meals that are complimented by veggies, but could never be replaced by them.

I will say that increasing the amount of vegetables I eat has made me feel a little less lethargic, but the real difference I find comes from adding more fresh fruit to your diet.  The complex sugars take longer to break down, giving you more energy over the course of a day rather than the sudden boost you get from sugar or caffeine.

What a surprise huh?  Eating better makes you feel better- whodathunkit?   :grin:

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a McDonald's drive through with my name on it....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:30:15 PM
I can't say I am.  Love a good burger or some southern fried chicken.  :P
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 09:51:57 PM
I really give credit to the Veg heads out there. They have way more willpower than I could ever have, and I really could use more veggies. BUT God gave us inciser teeth and I plan on using them ;D
S

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:56:01 PM
I'm not a veg., but my wife & I did a semi-veg. thing for a couple of months lately. I think I could do it permenantly but it can get inconvienient at times... There's a lot of good food out there that you don't notice till you don't eat meat.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:49:56 PM
I am a vegetarian on the weekend. My typical lunch that I take to work consists of a tomato sandwich with onion and a salad.  I eat a bowl of cereal and yogurt for breakfast on the days that I work.  Since I only work F-Su.,  I guess that my diet is pretty balanced.  I eat meat like a fiend during the days that I am off.

Offline znapschatz

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:27:26 AM
I am what might be called a "situational" vegetarian.  That is, although my inclination is to eat anything that can't escape, my vegetarian wife does most of the cooking.  So, for the sake of harmony in the house, I just shut up and eat.  I'm in reasonably good health, but if cutting down on saturated fats has anything to do with it, I don't really know.   

Once in a while, while out and about, I devour some meat and enjoy it well enough, but I believe that an occasional indulgence in any kind of food has no health effect, anyway.  That includes Slim Jims.  ;D

BTW, tofu isn't bad at all, but most people, including most vegetarians, don't know how to properly prepare it.  Fortunately, my wife has mastered that one. 

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 01:37:00 AM
Tofu is the most evil looking stuff out there. I dont care how much you play with it it dont make a substitution for a good burger!
S

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:42:55 AM
I am an omnivore.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 02:31:49 AM
tofu isn't bad at all, but most people, including most vegetarians, don't know how to properly prepare it.

The proper way to prepare tofu is to put it in a bag, set it on fire and throw it at the person who gave it to you! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Biru

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 02:34:13 AM
I was a vegetarian for several years after a young lady turned me on to it (thank God she wasn't a terrorist or drug dealer!). I was a vegan for two years before that, but had nutritional problems and allowed some fish,eggs and milk into my diet. I still don't eat beef or pork. I avoid most chicken and other fowl if possible. I now occasionally eat a bit of fish. My main problem originally with vegetarian diet was the inconvenience when traveling (friends stop at McD's and you've got to figure out what to eat!). Now everyone has salads, yogurts and fruit items so it's much easier. My biggest regret was giving up western-style barbecue (for the sauces, not the pork ;D). I'm currently trying to figure out what you can barbecue in the vegetable world! Maybe I'll try tofu-I've had some interesting oriental dishes that used tofu. I worked with a fellow with severe gout. It's no picnic, I know. Good luck on your ailment and your diet.

Regards, Bill.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 03:22:57 AM
If God wanted me to eat vegetables, He'd have made them out of beef! :P

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 03:27:09 AM
If God wanted me to eat vegetables, He'd have made them out of beef! :P

Def

Or he wouldn't have made animals so tasty!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 03:29:17 AM
I still give the Veg heads credit I could not do it! By the way do you know what the old Indian meaning of vegetarian is?

Bad Hunter.  :ahhh
S

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 12:09:32 PM
I was a vegitarian for nine years and can really reccommend it :), the only reason I stopped was it was costing me a fortune to be a veggie, but once I'm back on my feet again I may well jump back on that wagon :)

Keep it up mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 04:18:29 PM
My biggest regret was giving up western-style barbecue (for the sauces, not the pork ;D). I'm currently trying to figure out what you can barbecue in the vegetable world!

I grill Roma tomatoes cut in 1/2 , slices of yellow summer squash, thick slices of onions, green pepper chunks, green onions and corn on the cob and put some BBQ sauce on the  squash and onions. Not bad for a meatless meal
Why do I carry a 45 ?

Offline znapschatz

Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 07:51:23 PM
Tofu is the most evil looking stuff out there. I dont care how much you play with it it dont make a substitution for a good burger!

No arguement there, but I don't compare the two.  They are entirely different experiences.  Tofu should never be used to make a counterfeit anything.  As an ingredient in other recipes, that's a horse of a different color.  ;D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 11:32:53 PM
My biggest regret was giving up western-style barbecue (for the sauces, not the pork ;D). I'm currently trying to figure out what you can barbecue in the vegetable world!

I grill Roma tomatoes cut in 1/2 , slices of yellow summer squash, thick slices of onions, green pepper chunks, green onions and corn on the cob and put some BBQ sauce on the  squash and onions. Not bad for a meatless meal

I have found many uses for hot sauces and the like on potatoes.  I like to cut mine into cubes and season them with a lot of spices and fry them in a wok.  I then top them with hot sauce or barbecue sauce depending on how I feel that day.  You can also do the same thing and then add a few eggs and scramble the ingredients together with some green peppers and onion and make what I call a "shipwreck."  You then have to top it with cheddar cheese and hot sauce.  It is a great meatless meal. 

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 01:53:10 AM
"I have found many uses for hot sauces and the like on potatoes.  I like to cut mine into cubes and season them with a lot of spices and fry them in a wok.  I then top them with hot sauce or barbecue sauce depending on how I feel that day.  You can also do the same thing and then add a few eggs and scramble the ingredients together with some green peppers and onion and make what I call a "shipwreck."  You then have to top it with cheddar cheese and hot sauce.  It is a great meatless meal. "

Tomorrows dinner - boy that sounds really good, thanx.

I love to cook with my WOK - I can make some mean fried rice, egg foo yong, stir fried vegetables and all vegi egg rolls.

I have a home made WOK cooker I made  from an old BBQ grill cart and outside burner you would use to deep fry a turkey - all I had to do to "MOD" the cooker was bolt it to the metal frame of the BBQ wagon. It gets the WOK blue hot in <60 seconds.

NOTE: The ginger plants right outside in the garden , nice and handy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:41:10 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 04:59:27 PM
Very cool setup!

Heating that fast, you must be able to make  mean stir fry in no time flat!

Def

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 05:31:44 PM
My wife turned veggie after surgery on her gall bladder if you need help with recipes check out WWW.CHEFS .COM I would post a link but need the missus to help with this technical stuff

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 06:13:02 PM
That setup is great.  I like to cook outdoors and I have an old grill that might need some modification.  I think I just might do such a thing to my old grill.  Thanks.

Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 06:21:20 PM
My wife turned veggie after surgery on her gall bladder if you need help with recipes check out WWW.CHEFS .COM I would post a link but need the missus to help with this technical stuff
This one?...

http://www.chefs.com/

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 06:38:38 PM
Cheers you handsome charming devil

Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 06:40:43 PM
Cheers you handsome charming devil
Think nothing of it, long lost bruv ;D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 06:55:47 PM
Just for your information jock the way to do it is to put [url ]www.chefs.com[/url] but without the spaces in there, this gives you www.chefs.com.
The more advanced way is to put [url =www.chefs.com]Please click me![/url] again without the space giving you this Please click me!
This is particularly useful for long web addresses as you only see the bit inside rather than something twice as wide as the page.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 07:00:16 PM
Just for your information jock the way to do it is to put [url ]www.chefs.com[/url] but without the spaces in there, this gives you www.chefs.com.
The more advanced way is to put [url =www.chefs.com]Please click me![/url] again without the space giving you this Please click me!
This is particularly useful for long web addresses as you only see the bit inside rather than something twice as wide as the page.
Good bit of advice mate, Maybe you could do a tutorial in the ''how to section'' if you've got the time ???

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 07:08:27 PM
I could probably manage that, any other things you want me to cover?
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 07:13:29 PM
Probably need to speak to the boss on that one!

I'm a total noob when it comes to technosorcery anyway ;D

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 07:00:37 AM
Probably need to speak to the boss on that one!

I'm a total noob when it comes to technosorcery anyway ;D
If it goes ahead can I ask that you dumb it down for Luddites like me as i suffer from computer rage thats my excuse for being a dinosaur who won't learn

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%