Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Is Your Recommended Compact EDC Fire Starter?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
What Is Your Recommended Compact EDC Fire Starter?
on: December 14, 2010, 04:37:44 AM
Want to get a compact and a regular fire starter tool, and looking for quality product recommendations. Would like a compact version to EDC with, because you just never know!

A larger one maybe to have for a field kit to keep in the car, or for back packing.

Thanks   :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Re: What Is Your Recommended Compact EDC Fire Starter?
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 06:46:43 AM
Is this for fun.. novelty.. practice of new methods...?

Or are we talking about emergent use and daily convenience?

I ask because I can think of no better EDC fire starter than a Bic lighter, and I know I am not alone in that thought.

If I were going for novelty or skill building, then I'd go for a flint and steel; I would learn to make charcloth as well.

If I wanted to go with some of the more common EDC fire starters, then just about any ferro rod set up will do. I like the LMF model (Firesteel), and I like the Doan magnesium block with ferro rod.

There are other options as well, especially in the one handed arena, but.. I personally prefer the more primitive methods.

Ideally, I'd have a wrap with flint, steel, charcloth, tinder, and then about half a dozen Bics. It's cool to be able to light a fire with flint and steel, but.. I don't really want to if I can flick a Bic.

Currently I have a Bic in my pocket, one in my bag, and a Doan magnesium starter in the bag as well. Oh, and there's a Sparklite and Tinder Quik in there too as another last resort.

Sparklite and TQ is a good option for small, one handed, and light. Works as described. Cheap.

Doan mag block takes more effort initially, but burns hot and strong.

I'd still take a bag of Bics over all the options I've tried. Though bow drill was kinda fun. Not as successful as I'd like, but fun. Frustrating too I suppose.     
G

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:02:51 AM
More for a practical and/or an "Aww Smurf!" situation. I know a lot of people go for the liquid fuel thing, but those have issues in more than ways than one.

Am looking for a non-liquid practical version for EDC, and one for long term use in an emergency pack - so liquid would not be a wise choice as it may not be used for quite some time in the car/pack kit.

When the smurf hits the fan I want to be prepared when ever it happens; whether I be on foot or in a car.
¬ Outback in Idaho

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:04:20 AM
Something that works really well for me is a LMF fire steel (there are small, compact ones and larger ones) together with some cotton balls that are treated with petroleum jelly. The cotton balls catch fire instantly, and if you soak them with petroleum jelly they will burn really long, for most purposes I just use a little bit of it. For a kit I would soak them and put them in a film canister or another small box. Everything is waterproof and should last quite a while. A single cotton ball should burn really long, in most cases you can just use parts of it. Just try it at home (not inside, only if you have a fire place)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:12:24 AM by Turnstone »

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:00:19 AM
I've also heard of folks dipping pine cones in wax for a nice long burning tinder (sort of a candle effect.)
The cotton ball thing would probably light easier but for some reason I think using pine cones is cool.

As mentioned already a Bic lighter is a great, reliable and light weight way to make flame and works as a nice emergency method if you enjoy using more primitive (interesting) methods.

For a larger kit I'd also think about a Zippo and a spare can of liquid lighter fluid. in a pinch you could squirt some fluid on the tinder and light er up.  :)

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:08:44 PM
In addition to vaseline-soaked cotton balls, pine needles, and the like, you could also add dryer lint to your tinder kit.  Readily available in the US, not so much in Europe, where dryers are less common, but eh. :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:54 PM
Another vote for a small disposable lighter, not the coolest fire gadget perhaps but it'll get the job done.

Well worth a look is the LMF Swedish FireSteels, come in mini, scout and army models.

http://www.lightmyfire.com/default.asp?ID=209&pID=147
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline David

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 06:31:46 PM
I like the Exotac it is expensive but small and light. Comes in different colors and a Ti model.
exotac 002.JPG
* exotac 002.JPG (Filesize: 92.44 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 06:32:55 PM
Here is a pic of it apart.
exotac 007.JPG
* exotac 007.JPG (Filesize: 87.56 KB)
Hold Fast

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 07:03:58 PM
I like the Exotac it is expensive but small and light. Comes in different colors and a Ti model.

That's sexy!  :drool:

+1 vaseline-soaked cotton balls  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 07:14:29 PM
Here is a pic of it apart.

nanoSTRIKER

Threw one on my cc, blaze orange. Their supply is low if others are interested. Also replacement parts are available, and the ferrocerium rod is only $4. The nanoStriker only weighs 0.6 ounces in the aluminum version. Surprised Leatherman never thought of this idea.

$26.95, the limited edition titanium is $48.

This fire starter are sexy! Thanks for the share!!
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 06:38:49 AM
I liked this video on the nanoStriker.  :D

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 04:50:03 PM
Also found Exotac had a facebook page. Seems not many others knew about them as of last night they had 29 likes. So, umm, http://www.facebook.com/Exotac ~ There, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Offline diabolicturtle

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 07:10:23 PM
I use one of these when I'm out and about it's a good compliment to a bic or a firesteel weather your camping, or whatever

http://www.permanentmatch.com/

Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 01:33:08 PM
My order from Exotac shipped today. They are an awesome company already.

Quote from: Exotac
**Lifetime Warranty**
We stand behind all of our products for the life of the product. While we try to inspect each and every product for defects, occasionally one will slip through. If you find anything wrong with your product upon receiving it, please contact us immediately for a replacement. If you are not satisfied with your purchase please don't hesitate to contact us and we will make it right or refund your payment.

**Write a Review**
Please visit our website and click on the product you would like to review. Click on the "Read Reviews" link and on the page that follows, you will find a link called "Write a review". We love receiving customer feedback. If you have something nice to say, please visit our website and tell us. If not, please give us an opportunity to make it right and if we fail to do so, leave us a nasty review! :)

Hmm, Def, which one of you mates is going to write a review on MTO?  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 05:43:11 AM
  Got my (replaced) Exotac nanoStriker in today. Still have the bug so not able to test it out (again). The first one had a design flaw, the rod broke on the third strike. It was replaced by Exotac, they sent another tested & working model out, and and prepaid envelope to send the defective one back. That's good customer service!

So, to give an idea what size it is, took pictures with my Leatherman Charge TTi, and carry it with the leather Charge sheath too.

Charge & nanoStriker - Disassembled

Charge & nanoStriker - Assembled

EDC Sheath - Note: J-Sews Charge Blade is EDC too.  :D

EDC Sheath - EDC Mode
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 05:44:39 AM
Oh, and the replacement had a Refill kit enclosed too!   :D   :D   :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline David

Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 06:40:26 AM
 :tu:   
Hold Fast

us Offline Dynomiker

Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 06:52:09 PM
Ive got a NanoStriker in OD that rides next to my Charge TTi as well. Works great, compact, light weight, and has a high cool factor! People that see it or that i show it too dig it. Down side, it is a little pricey. But worth it to me.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 07:09:27 PM
ok that orange one there is real cool ! I can see that being the best choice BUT
any one try the zippo one?
http://www.zippo.com/Products/zippo-fire-starters.aspx
look slike its the size of a lighter but with the goddies inside

or then there is always this

Please note the Multi that is used,

peace

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:21:51 PM by darkhawk »

us Offline Dynomiker

Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 02:34:36 AM
A little useful tip.

gb Offline Zag

Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 07:53:58 PM
Another useful trick if you are stranded and don't have cotton balls is to use the firesteel as tinder. You can scrape (gently) the firesteel and gather firesteel dust as you would do with a magnesium bar. you can then light the dust pile  ;)
AloxWorld.com

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 08:01:41 PM
Another useful trick if you are stranded and don't have cotton balls is to use the firesteel as tinder. You can scrape (gently) the firesteel and gather firesteel dust as you would do with a magnesium bar. you can then light the dust pile  ;)

I'll need to try that sometime.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 09:33:41 PM

I'll need to try that sometime.  :tu:
Me too :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 01:06:47 AM

Another orange nanostriker owner and fan here. Also got the minimatch, which is like a mini doan bar (small diameter magnesium rod with flint attached). Also another advocate of the PJ impregnated cotton wool. If you have a little tin foil in your kit, you can also wrap the cotton wool up leaving only a small area exposed. This can either work as a candle, or as a longer lasting firelighter for sub-prime firewood (if a little damp etc)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline David

Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 01:33:04 AM

Another orange nanostriker owner and fan here. Also got the minimatch, which is like a mini doan bar (small diameter magnesium rod with flint attached). Also another advocate of the PJ impregnated cotton wool. If you have a little tin foil in your kit, you can also wrap the cotton wool up leaving only a small area exposed. This can either work as a candle, or as a longer lasting firelighter for sub-prime firewood (if a little damp etc)

That`s good to know thanks!   :tu:    :D
Hold Fast

us Offline Pacu

Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 06:28:49 PM
Steel wool and a magnesium/steel fire striker. Cheap and compact. Plus a Bic lighter.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 07:38:02 PM

I had been thinking about this question a bit more when I realized I had forgotten my EDC lighter, its a little peanut lighter I brought from these guys

http://endtimesreport.com/survival_shop.html

The petrol seems to last along time when its not being used (as in it does not evaporate)  :tu:
Its been in my pocket every day for almost a year (it gets used for BBQ's, birthday candles and lighting Christmas puddings) and it has only come undone maybe a couple of times

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:25 PM

The burn time with that is so short that you'll still need some kind of tinder to sustain it. It's more something you would do to try to ignite a difficult or marginal tinder. You'd be better off to make a fluffy pile of wood scrapings.

Check out the "One Stick Fire" videos on YouTube.

Offline umberto00

Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 07:41:55 PM
Since I'm a smoker, I usually have a lighter AND matches with me. Ferro rods are cool (I have a couple, plus the Nanostriker on my keychain), but you just can't beat a good old fashioned lighter or matches for getting a fire started.

My advice: Carry at least 3 different  fire starters.  Use the easier ones (lighter/matches) as your primary, carry another lighter or matches as a back-up, and then carry a firesteel/fresnel lens/mag block as your last ditch effort kit. Don't keep all of these in one place! I usually keep a zippo in my back pocket, matches or a mini bic in my front pocket, nanostriker on my keychain and fresnel lens in my wallet. (The fresnel lense actually came in handy when I was on jury duty - went outside for a smoke break but forgot that security had taken away my lighters! Had to light that cigarette with the power of the sun!   :cheers:)

Also, learn how to make friction fires. Setting up tinder for these really helps with your matches/lighter firestarting techniques!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%