Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw Carabiner Tool

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Kershaw Carabiner Tool
on: December 15, 2010, 07:55:07 AM
Seen this Kershaw "National Geographic" Carabiner Tool, Model 1004X, at a local sporting goods shop. $39.99 though, ouch!

Had a hard time trying to focus it between the locals watching me. Has the two types of screwdrivers in the upper-right side, and the partial-serrated blade, with a supposedly locking mechanism. All that for $40. ???

It was cute, but not $40 cute. Thought I would share the odd looking critter with y'all.
1214101628a.jpg
* 1214101628a.jpg (Filesize: 104.88 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Kershaw Carabiner Tool
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:57:31 AM
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:50:31 AM
They're kinda cool, not really comfortable to use.  $40 is way too much though, even from a brick and mortar.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:32:16 AM
If the carbiner is actually rated as a screwgate locking carabiner, that's not too bad of a price. If not,  :-\

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 02:02:21 PM
IIRC, the packaging says that they're non-load bearing, so I'd not really risk it.  Granted, even the cheap NiteIze 125 pound capacity S-biners could hold my weight, so :shrug:.

Haven't these been made in two different sizes?  They have the larger ones, like what you've posted, and then they have Mini-biner knives, too.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:26:01 PM
Just as an amusing part of multitool history, the Kershaw Carabiner knife was the first design from the guys at ID Works to be produced.  They are now with CRKT and have cranked out the Get-A-Way Driver, Guppie, ZillaTool, Lumabiner, Lil Guppie, Zilla Jr and others.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:39:46 PM
IIRC, the packaging says that they're non-load bearing, so I'd not really risk it.  Granted, even the cheap NiteIze 125 pound capacity S-biners could hold my weight, so :shrug:.

Haven't these been made in two different sizes?  They have the larger ones, like what you've posted, and then they have Mini-biner knives, too.

Locking biners are typically rated for 7-8kN (1500-1600 lbs) with the gate open.  Around 25kN (5000 lbs) closed.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 04:53:05 PM

Locking biners are typically rated for 7-8kN (1500-1600 lbs) with the gate open.  Around 25kN (5000 lbs) closed.

While true, both the packaging and several seller websites also state that it is a "Non-load bearing carabiner." :/

[Edit:  They do also offer a Mini Carabiner knife; it looks as if they've shifted production of these from Japan (blade was AUS6A) to China (8CR13MoV), at the benefit of a better blade steel.  The Mini Carabiner uses 420J2, though. o.O]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:57:15 PM by Sazabi »

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:29:13 PM
I just bought one of these yesterday for my father for christmas, he wanted one. I got it for about 25 at a B&M shop. They use to be $60 when they first came out, no Idea why.

I'm just not sure about the blade steel...The box says its 4CR14 (never heard of, cant find any info on it) and there site has both AUS6A and 8CR13MOV listed.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:45:29 AM
They were made in Japan for the first few years, and the quality was first rate. :tu: The more recent ones made in China though are okaaaaay, but definitely not on par with the earlier ones. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:09:27 AM
They were made in Japan for the first few years, and the quality was first rate. :tu: The more recent ones made in China though are okaaaaay, but definitely not on par with the earlier ones. :-\

That would explain the huge price drop.

I sent kershaw an email wondering about the blade steel and they said the small model is 420J2 and the larger one is 8CR13MoV, no idea why my package says 4CR14.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:51:15 PM
420J2 may be comparable to 4CR14, but I'm just guessing here.  That's similar to 8CR13MoV sometimes being referred to as AUS8a erroneously; yes, they're similar, but in terms of giving buyers a steel name that is more familiar, they us the US/UK/Japanese, et al. designations.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%