Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Terminology newby question

Jors · 9 · 1868

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Terminology newby question
on: December 16, 2010, 07:46:19 AM
I would like to ask a question from the more experienced guys.

I am currently using the following flashlights:
Police - Xenon with 2 X CR123 (I gues about 60 lumen as it is sharper than 3 cell (D) Maglight (non-LED)
3 cell (D) Maglight (non-LED) - Police issue just lying in my cupboard.
LED Lenzer P7 (4 X AAA - 200 Lumen with beam 200 meters)
Mini Mag Light (2 AA with LED plus swith Conversion - about 100 lumen)
Mini Palm 101 (26 Lumen - 1 X AAA - wide beam that goes to about 30 meters)

I am a gadget lover and would like to buy another single AAA flashlight. I have seen some strong ones of up to 260 lumen, but the affordable ones is about 130 - 160 lumen, which is quite a strong flashlight for it's size. Let us make a comparison if I take a big flashlight like the LED Lenzer P7 and compare it to a single AAA that can also give 200 lumen,
will the output performance be similar or will everything just compare to the focus of the beam? I know some lights can only give a wide beam and not a spot.

I do not want to buy a flashlight that will have high specs but can not perform.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Terminology newby question
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:23:01 PM
At the current state of the art, 200 lumens is impractical for a 1AAA LED flashlight.  Battery life would be ultra short at the 200 lumen level.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:24:33 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:17:59 PM
At the current state of the art, 200 lumens is impractical for a 1AAA LED flashlight.  Battery life would be ultra short at the 200 lumen level.

Agreed.  If 200 lumens is required, I would suggest looking into AA cells at the very least, 2xAA would be better.  If a single-cell light is desired, CR123 or Li-Ion cells would be ideal.

With today's emitter technology, a single AAA light will only run for about 30 minutes at 60 lumens.

I have not seen a 1xAAA light that can produce over 200 lumens.  Can you show me an example?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:19:48 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:49:25 PM
Sorry, I am referring to a 1AA.
At some models you can replace the AA with a 14500 the output doubles.

Look at the Wolf Eyes A1 with Cree Premium XR-E (R2) LED. (220 lumen).

The Lumapower Trust Model 1 can go up to 350 lumens with the 14500 battery - unknown at AA

JETBEAM RRT-0 R5 - 180 lumens with AA and 255 with CR123.

The JETBEAM JET-I PRO V3.0 (NEW VERSION) gives 145 with AA and 240 with Li-Ithion.

These are the models I am looking at.

If the price is right I will settle for down to 120 lumens for a single AA. I have seen the performance of the Nitecore EZ AA.
I prefer not to buy CR123 models as the batteries are way-out too expensive in SA and not easily available.

I am also considering the FlashMax G258 - Mini CREE LED Flashlight that is indeed a 1AAA of 200 lumens if you use the Ultrafire 10440 battery.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:57:03 PM by Jors »
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:02:55 PM
What's your price point? 

The strongest AA battery light currently on the market is the Zebralight SC51 at 200 lumens per a single AA battery.  It'll be about the same price as the Lumapower and Wolf-Eyes and a touch cheaper than the Jetbeam models.

Of course, that's assuming you can find it in stock.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:32:33 PM
What beam type are you looking for?  Flood or throw (spot)?  The options in AA will very greatly depending on the design of the reflector/optic.
- Terry

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:56:22 PM
I am looking for something with a long beam.

I have been given a Lightsaver LS 805 Commando 3W flashlight yesterday to test (South African make).
The torch only has 120 lumen and you can not focus the beam. Th beam is super bright with sideways light as well and no artifacts. I have compared the light's beam with that of the LED Lenzer P7 (200 lumens) yesterday evening and the beam was about 200 meters and could highlight a vehicle's registration plate at 350 meters.

What I am saying is I don't just look at the lumens specs but at performance. If the AA (Size preference and battery preference ito availability) is only 100 lumens but can perform, that will also be good enough. My daughters friend rescently bought a LED Lenzer P5 of 105 lumens because that was all he could afford. This light can perform as the beam is not much smaller / shorter that the P7 (I guess 15% in appearance with the bare eyes).

Cost will have an influence as here in South Africa everything is expensive after import.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 01:59:14 PM
Weighing your preferences, if you want a AA light that will throw a tight beam and that has exceptional quality, I would recommend the Jet-I PRO.

Read a review here.

The only exception is if you are wanting something small to carry in your pocket.  In that case, I might recommend something else.
- Terry

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 08:45:56 PM
I have made my decision and bought the LED Lenser P5 and I do not regret my choice one bit.
The Lumens is 105. The light only has one strength and that is full power. You however can focus the beam. The beam goes to 130 meter. I have tested it. Super.
I will post a beam shot photograph of all my flashlights asap.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD