Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

'First Production Run' Vintage Gerber MT

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
'First Production Run' Vintage Gerber MT
on: December 29, 2010, 04:24:41 PM
I got this very cool early model (made around 1992) Gerber MT for Christmas, I will refer to it as FPR(First Production Run). My sister in-law pulled my name out of the hat & me being the helpful soul that I am  ::) :D :D I grabbed this MT too help her out ::) :D.I paid $50aus/us for the tool which at the time I thought might of been a bit steep but with the tool in hand I am more than happy.

The MT is HIGHLY polished & is a most pleasant thing too hold  :D , it has 'First Production Run' etched onto one handle. I own a Bear MT with 'First Production Run' etched onto it's blade. I wish more manufactures did this I reckon it is VERY cool  :D.

The Tool Set

Plain blade(non locking like all the inner tools), medium flat screwdriver , can opener & the world's largest/thickest lanyard clip(more on that latter)

Serrated blade , small flat screw driver, Phillips head screw driver & the really interesting thing , the 'different' scissors.

The Pliers

Points of interest the plier pivot bushing , which only lasted for the first 2 versions & was done away with come version 3.
Wire cutters are standard (no hard wire cutting facility).

Plier Sliding Locks

New vs old , comparing the FPR to the MP series sliding locks.

The plier locks are 4 button top fasteners threaded into the actual pliers + a recess for the spring button. One of the nice things about these early Gerber's plier locks is they do not have the Gerber rattle , the catch being I think it would be tough too do the one handed flick opening with one of these early MT's as the fasteners hold the pliers fairly tight when compared too the loose rattly modern Gerbers. 

Any guesses which is the cheaper option  :think: :P :D.
To be fair the looser modern plier lock method enables one handed flick opening.The button locks were phased out after the 4th version.

The Odd Bits

The scissors are most un-Gerber like & look like a Victorinox style but feel a bit weak & flimsy.This style scissor only lasted the one model range & was dropped on version 2. I suspect Gerbers parent company Fiskars wanted to stamp its own identity onto the MT's scissors.Scissors being one of Fiskars bread & butter products.

Possibly the worlds most over engineered lanyard attachment clip, second from the left. To be fair too Gerber I suspect this 'tool' is more of a spacer than a tool  :D :D. At a width of 4.7mm/0.18inch  :o :o, that is the equivalent to the space the cap lifter/screw driver & awl takes up in a Victorinox Spirit.

Were is the nail nick  :think: :think: :D :D

Here it is  ??? :D :D, wrong side & no were near the handle cut out  :D :D

I love this odd tool , I am not sure how something made in 1992 can feel/look 'Art Deco' like , but I reckon this odd bod Gerber does  :D :D.
Most of the info I got was from Bob/J-sews posts , I found them a bit tricky to find so I thought I would do this post & list the links below.

Differances in early Gerber MT's
Gerber 1992 info
Chako's FPR MT
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:15:22 PM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: 'First Production Run' Gerber MT
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:29:14 PM
Congrats with that fine piece MM.. :tu:

I'm definitely gonna look for more gerbers from now on.. :multi:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:34:15 PM by AHB »

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Re: 'First Production Run' Gerber MT
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:36:42 PM
Thanks Alan , yep I think Gerbers get forgotten a bit & given they have been in the MT game since 1991 they do have a bit of history behind them.

I forgot too add , the sheaths that Gerber made for their early MT's sure are nice , like Leatherman's early leather sheath :think: :think:.

The brown one is from my MPT & is easily the best thing about the MPT  :P :D :D , black one is the FPR MT's.

MPT left , FPR middle & MP600 at right.Interestingly the MPT & FPR MT's were made around the same time , the MPT is a truly average MT  :D :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: 'First Production Run' Vintage Gerber MT
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:20:00 PM
A proper tool, for a proper tool :P

That looks like it's in fantastic nick mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:06:48 PM
A proper tool, for a proper tool :P

That looks like it's in fantastic nick mate :tu:

Shame about the blade's though :P

Almost shiny enough for the tarty thread ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline David

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:14:39 PM
Great score there Mat.  :o    8)     :tu:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline stack

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:55:57 PM
Great find there Mat! I was going through my closet, cleaning and I just found my 1992 gerber catalog. I knew I had one somewhere.  I was looking through it and was thinking I am going to have to look for one of those tools. After seeing your tool makes me want one that much more. Congrats again on a great find! :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:22:21 AM
Wow, I thought  the lanyard ring was a bit thick on my MP600.  :o  Good looking tool though Mat I'm very envious.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 02:27:23 AM
Nice summary of a fine old multitool Mat! :salute: Great pictures too! :tu: I especially like that close up shot of the button screws and the slide lock.

(Image removed from quote.)

Look close at those screws...you can see they were individually cut on a lathe! Its a slow, expensive, but very precise way to make fasteners. :salute: I'd never noticed that before. It sort of confirms the notion that these FPR's were unique hand made prototypes. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 02:42:36 AM
Nice summary of a fine old multitool Mat! :salute: Great pictures too! :tu: I especially like that close up shot of the button screws and the slide lock.

Look close at those screws...you can see they were individually cut on a lathe! Its a slow, expensive, but very precise way to make fasteners. :salute: I'd never noticed that before. It sort of confirms the notion that these FPR's were unique hand made prototypes. :)

I thought I might of over done them Bob , but they were my favourite shots  :D :D :D.One more or two for Bob  ;) :D :D

Bob I wondered how hard it would of been to thread the pliers too except the fastener & get everything lined up  :think: :think:. Getting everything centered & moving smoothly would of been a challenge   :think: :think:.
Hats off too the Gerber machinists  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 01:58:31 PM
Welcome to the club. You got yourself a beauty of a pincher there.  :cheers:  :D

Bob, I have never noticed that before either regarding the button screws.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 01:05:03 AM
very nice!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:41 PM
I thought I might of over done them Bob , but they were my favourite shots  :D :D :D.One more or two for Bob  ;) :D :D

Just for me? :) Thanks Mat! :cheers: 

(ps ~ I liked the gynecological shot too!) :D :D :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 05:41:59 PM
I really like the look of this tool

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 10:10:44 PM
That is a very good looking tool, much better than what they're making nowadays  :tu:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 02:24:30 AM
Other then the oddness of the nail nicks, etc...this one is guaranteed to pinch your palms everytime. The newer ones don't. I would wish they would polish the steel up on the new ones and stop bead blasting them however.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 01:40:30 PM
Other then the oddness of the nail nicks, etc...this one is guaranteed to pinch your palms everytime. The newer ones don't. I would wish they would polish the steel up on the new ones and stop bead blasting them however.

It is funny Chako my one does not pinch my palms  :think: :think: , the MPT on the other hand  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh.

The FPR is a real beauty of a tool & a real collectible piece BUT I think my MP600 is a better tool to use  ;) :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 02:51:45 PM
That is odd, as mine does it to me every time I try it out. The newer ones leave a large gap between the handles when the pliers are fully closed.

Yes, keep it for the collection and don't use that rare bird.  :twak:  :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 12:29:58 PM
 :drool:  That is cooler then a snowmans coldbits  . Very very very nice  :drool:

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 04:53:41 AM
I carried the next generation after that one for a while.  It was a quality tool but it would PINCH the palm of your hand so after a nasty pinch it was retired.  Thankfully that was resolved in later models.

Offline josekym

Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:23 AM
Wow, that Gerber model brings back to memories for me...  'twas my first "real" MT (non-FPR of course) but similar in configuration and in BO.  I remember the scissors being the Fiskars one with the thin arm and wire-like spring.

Gave me a lot of blood blisters too...  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 11:59:58 PM
Wow, that Gerber model brings back to memories for me...  'twas my first "real" MT (non-FPR of course) but similar in configuration and in BO.  I remember the scissors being the Fiskars one with the thin arm and wire-like spring.

Gave me a lot of blood blisters too...  :D

They were some pinching little buggers weren't they? :D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM
Necro thread revival. 

You lot are a very bad influence ..... (not that I need much encouragement)  :facepalm:

Things started off reasonably innocently, I was just admiring ThadMiller's "My little shop of tools" thread ( http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45082.0.html ), thinking it looked very nice.  But things took a turn for the worse when a slightly odd looking and very shiny Gerber in amongst all the wonderful tools in his great display caught my eye.

That led me to this thread, and next thing I know I have bought two (yes, not one but 2) of these "art deco" FPR Gerbers.  I have to agree that while they are very pretty (and oh-so-shiny), I don't think they are a practical EDC, with all their foibles.

What's worse is I seem to have developed a slight interest in all these very early Gerber MTs, so now I'll be looking for (and probably finding and buying) some of the next few generations.  Is it OK to blame Kirky somehow ?  I know he doesn't seem to have done anything even remotely connected with my problems, but that doesn't seem to matter ... ;)

So far I have only taken delivery of one FPR, and it has an interesting sheath.  It is labelled:
 "MULTI-PLIER
POCKET TOOL KIT
MADE IN U.S.A."

Behind the main MT compartment it has a secondary compartment with 3 straight and 3 philips bits, along with an adaptor that fits over the square shaft of the FPR's philips bit.  The sheath is an excellent fit for the FPR and seems to be of a similar age.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 06:15:51 PM
It's bound to be Kirky's fault somehow, especially if you want to pass the blame onto someone else when your wife starts asking about all these new tools.... :whistle:

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new Gerber's. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 04:28:38 AM
Thank you Kirky. For a while there, people were blaming me.  :tu:

EDIT: Might as well  :pok:  :pok: a little.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:44:33 AM by Chako »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24