Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Proscout with Bluntnose Pliers?

Offline Dolphinjon

Proscout with Bluntnose Pliers?
on: June 14, 2013, 04:14:05 AM
Howdy!

I just stumbled across this forum a few days ago as finally joined. I've learned a lot reading so far. I have a Leatherman kick that has served me well for about 8 years, but I've recently darted looking to upgrade. The 600 series by Gerber seems ideal, and I really like the pro scout. In particular, I like the RemGrit saw (or more specifically the interchangeable blades). I work at a historic site doing wood working and broom making, and always having pliers and other tools on me is always handy. Bluntnose pliers seem handier to me as I'm often having to pull on hemp twine and the needle nose pliers on my leatherman often slip.
All of that to say, a proscout seems ideal, and I'm pretty sure I saw that it used to be made with Bluntnose pliers. Are they still available anywhere without costing a small fortune? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Proscout with Bluntnose Pliers?
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 04:24:11 AM
Welcome to the forum!  :salute:  To answer your question, the blunt nose Pro Scout is discontinued.  :(  Ther are some still for sale on Amazon through another seller, but they run about $125 + shipping.  :o  The Pro Scout in needlenose form is quite possibly my favorite multitool, certainly my most carried of the big boys.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline Dolphinjon

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 04:34:15 AM
Thank you! I had looked on Amazon once, but somehow skipped over it. If they're hanging out at $125, I guess I'll look more at the needle nose version then.  :-)
I'll start looking for a good price on them. I'll mention to my wife that it would make a good birthday present...

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 04:58:58 AM
The standard bluntnose lists at $43 on Amazon, but you don't get the scissors or the saw exchanger.  The needlenose Pro Scout is there for about $50, and that includes the bit adapter and bits.  :tu:  Might actually have to pick up one of those myself.  Just what I need, another Gerber.  No, I'm serious, I really do need another Gerber....  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:03:52 AM
It´s quite easy to swap teh heads on the MP600s. You can convert a Needlenose Proscout to a Bluntnosed one. gotta work now, but i think i have pics.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:54:51 AM
It´s quite easy to swap teh heads on the MP600s. You can convert a Needlenose Proscout to a Bluntnosed one. gotta work now, but i think i have pics.

As Lowtech says, it's not hard to swap heads over so buying a needle nosed Pro Scout and a blunt nosed MP600 is a reasonable option.  Put the needle head back on the standard MP600 body and you could always sell it on, give it to a friend or whatever.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Dolphinjon

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 02:36:21 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I guess I'll start off by buying a pro scout. Any suggestions on finding one used for a decent price? I've looked at eBay, but it seems that used ones on there often aren't much less than a new one on amazon.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%