Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Registering Leatherman Joke

Offline cortiz1679

Registering Leatherman Joke
on: October 17, 2007, 05:33:22 AM
That was more of a survey than a registration.
They should just call it what it is :twak:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: Registering Leatherman Joke
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:38:26 AM
I've filled more than a few Leatherman registrations,I do suppose they have their reasoning behind it all.Other,unrelated products I've bought in my time have used a similar format.
I

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:34:10 AM
That was more of a survey than a registration.
They should just call it what it is :twak:

Most of the knife/tool manufacturers seem to do that.  I hate registering new Buck knives because of it...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline cortiz1679

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:41:58 PM
so is there a reason to register? i dont see my self using it 20 years from now. i am sure i will lose it 1st.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 04:44:42 PM
so is there a reason to register? i dont see my self using it 20 years from now. i am sure i will lose it 1st.
Well it will help should you have a warrenty issue, I mean you might not lose it ;D but you might have it break on you in the mean time :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 04:55:46 PM
Registration of tools is reasonably important for warranty issues, but as Leathermans at least can be dated by the stamp inside the handles, it isn't that huge a deal normally.  The rest of the questions are a result of the manufacturer's desire to understand who is buying and using their tools, which is very important for the research and development of the next generation of tools.  By understanding what types of folks are buying the tools, and what they are using them for they can design and build future tools that suit your needs more accurately.

If you could get 5,000 people to send in registrations with "I HATE CAN OPENERS" written on it, I doubt you'd see another Leatherman tool with a can opener.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 06:20:59 PM
There is a law in the USA which states that an owner does not need to register the product in order to take advantage of the warranty.  In the USA, registration forms are mainly marketing tools to solicit consumer information.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Splat

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 07:01:35 PM
Other than purchased software I can't remember the last time I registered anything other than my Fisher Paykel washing machine.  Honestly, I can't remember why I registered that, either.  ???  BTW, my cracked LM Core didn't have any #'s anywhere on/in it. I returned it to the place of purchase and they swapped it for a new one, which does have a date stamp. Gotta love that customer service!
--
Splat
Splat

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:16:59 PM
I agree that there's no real benefit to me to register, but I usually do it anyway someday when I'm bored :D Takes a couple of minutes and I don't mind helping out LM, especially since in theory it helps them make tools designed for me :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%