Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheath review Nite Ize vs Custom Leather Crafts

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Sheath review Nite Ize vs Custom Leather Crafts
on: February 13, 2011, 02:03:04 AM
Let me start off by saying, to me, sheaths are the carry method of last resort.  My favorite carry method is front pocket, followed by back pocket with a clip.  Sheaths come in third.  Why?  For me, sheaths are more likely to catch on stuff.  They can be in the way while walking if they’re up  front or in the way for sitting if in the back.  Finally, I always seem to feel them torquing on my belt—they never just “disappear”.

With that said, for some larger EDC, I have come to the conclusion I need a sheath.  My Cybertimer 41 requires  a  sheath for carry at work, for example. In January, I upgraded my phone to a Motorola Droid 2 Global.  It is MUCH larger than my old HTC TouchPro 2.  So much so, that I can’t comfortably carry it in a front pocket.  Obviously, it’s not a back pocket carry.  That means I needed to find a sheath.

For work, I haven’t found a usable sheath that is “acceptable” for work.  An MT.O member who makes awesome sheaths is working on one for me (landroza).
But on the farm, I’ve tried a couple of sheaths.   One by NiteIze, the other by Custom Leather Crafts

The Nite Ize sheath is a zippered pouch. Inside is an elastic pocket, a large pouch (VERY large) and two smaller side pouches for narrow items. The zippered pouch is padded and has a water resistant  zipper.  It attaches by a plastic belt clip/loop that can rotate in 45 degree positions.  That means it can be in vertical, diagonal or horizontal carry.

The CLC pouch as a traditional belt loop, metal clip AND a vertical loop that can be used for horizontal carry or use with suspenders.   

Here are some pictures showing the EDC I’ve been using with the sheaths and how they pack.

Nite Ize with Phone

CLC with Phone

Nite Ize fully packed

CLC fully packed

Nite Ize on the belt

CLC on the belt

My thoughts:

The CLC packs very well.  I can’t carry the light I’d like, but the backup light packs well.  Everything is easy to access one handed with gloves on.  The Velcro cover is easy to use and the cell phone pouch is easy in/easy out.  The pack itself is very easy to carry and almost disappears when worn at the 4 oclock position.

The Nite Ize pack is huge.  It could easily carry MUCH more.    I can carry the light I prefer in the large pouch.  The side pouches easily carry the Leatherman bit cards.  The problems  I have with it are as follows:
1.   The  phone can NOT be put back in the pouch elastic pocket unless you remove your gloves AND use two hands.  Not convenient.
2.   The clip should add options, but really, it adds wobble.  In the horizontal position, the pouch is not balanced.  In the vertical position, it’s easy to accidentally rotate the pouch.   It never seems to just disappear.

So, here are my pros and cons:

Nite Ize:
Pros:
1.    Highly water resistant
2.   Huge capacity--doesn't limit tools carried
3.   Everything zipped inside

Cons:
1.   Replacing the phone requires 2 hands and no gloves
2.   The clip rotates too easily
3.   Horizontal carry is unbalanced

Custom Leather Crafts
Pros:
1.   Carries very well
2.   Phone and other tools are easily accessed one handed and gloved
3.   Several carry options

Cons:
1.   In no way is it water resistant
2.   Smaller volume
3.   Defined spaces limits which tools can be carried

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Sheath review Nite Ize vs Custom Leather Crafts
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:58:09 AM
Thanks for posting the good summary.   I've seen the CLC at the local Home Depot, later replaced by a Husky branded variant.

My NiteIze multitool sheath and the NiteIze flashlight sheath I bought this week have the clever rotatable clip, but they position the tool and light far enough away from my body to increase the torque on my belt.  That makes them less comfortable than holsters held closer.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%