Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Teach me about the P60 system

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Teach me about the P60 system
on: January 16, 2011, 08:36:42 AM
I've been doing some research on getting a new flashlight and I guess it is the old computer builder in me but I'm thinking about putting a P60 together. It would be 2xAA with the Solarforce L2R body. But I have some questions. First, how many components do I need? I think a P60 has 5 components (bezel, head, body, switch, drop in), but I might be missing something. Second, do I need a bezel? I don't like crenelations. I rather not get a flat bezel if I don't need one. Finally, would one of the new XML drop-ins work well in a 2xAA Eneloop light?
Right now I'm thinking of getting the entire L2R setup (body, crenelated bezel, head, switch) and a single mode XML drop-in.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Teach me about the P60 system
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:10:32 AM
Ooh, reasonably BIG subject, but here's the basics :)

You need a body tail and head like you say. If your battery of choice is 2AA then you are limited to a few models which will carry that. I highly recommend Solarforce BTW - very good quality for the price and consistent too.

This is the page you need for the options:
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Solarforce-Lights/Solarforce-L2-R-p35.html

Now, a P60 drop-in is where it get both expensive and complicated but for 2AA you are again limited what you'll be able to run. I'd go with a complete set up from that page as a starting point personally.

You need to run one on 2CR123 or a 18650 if you want more power (output options.)

There's tons of help on CPF regarding bodies and drop ins available but the Solarforce is a great option as a starter IMO.

Hope that helps :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:16:15 AM
OK, here's more that I didn't directly answer!

Usually you need a bezel to hold the glass in I think, but there are some nice minimal ones available if you don't like the one that comes with your body of choice - options also available on the aforementioned site.

As for which drop-in you can run, it just depends on how it's rated. For instance, Eneloops are probably 1.2v so you have a max of 2.4v when running two. Your drop in must therefore be able to run at 2.4v to work. If it's underpowered it will either simply not work or work at a lower level of brightness. Regulated drop ins also do things like turn off when the voltage props below a certain point so what you really want is that states it is for a 2AA set up.

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but I have a basic understanding due to being where you're at a little while ago! I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come in and tell you ignore me!

PS: Sorry about your wallet :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:03 PM
you've made me want one now lol, all i want is a light saber though got any recommendations?
I

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:41:44 PM
ari6126,

First off let me say that the P60 isn't a system, it's a model number for a lamp assembly soley owned by Surefire. That said, it has also become a standard in the industry with a D26 designation. So compatibility wise any Incan or LED module labeled P60 or D26 are generally fully compatible.

As to the lights themselves Solarforce is a good choice, and their L2 is a excellent base to mod from. I have a few myself that I lego up different ways. Their parts compatible with Surefire P & C Series lights makes them alot of fun to toy with and gives you alot of options. Here's some of mine....

.........all of mine run CR123A Lithiums as this set-up offers the most options and flexibility.

And here is a good place to look for Solarforce parts and complete lights....http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforce_c_168.html

They have a complete L2R host, has everything except the drop-in and batteries, for only $10.99! If you buy them by the part to assemble your own the heads usually come with the bezel and lens already mounted. And their tailcaps already include the switches. So by the part you'll just need the Head, Body, and Tailcap.

Now the thing here with running such a light on AA's is input voltage. AA's ain't powerhouses, nor are any of the AA rechargeables. Max you are looking at an input range of about 3 volts. There are D26 drop-ins done within in this range, Solarforce has a few using Cree R2 and R5 LED's with input voltage ratings of 0.8V-4.2V, these would be optimal for 2xAA set-up. I would avoid trying any of the drop-ins with input ratings starting at 3 volts as they likely won't work, or if they do you will see dismal output and short run times.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:52:31 PM
Thanks everybody. One more question, do you think this will run at 2.4 volts? Or should I wait a bit longer until the XML come out in a lower voltage range?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:11:19 PM
It will not, as the acceptable voltage range is 3V-18V.  To run an XM-L with the dropins available now, you really need at least an 18650 battery and that gets in to the issue of quality batteries and chargers as well.  What you could do is get the Solarforce body you liked, get an inexpensive XP-E or XP-G drop-in and kind of learn the ins and outs of the system, at least until low voltage XM-L dropins become available (if they ever do).

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 07:14:45 PM
OK that makes sense. I've been reading some more and apparently the L2R will not take the standard SF tail size. So it really only has half the lego abilities of a L2.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 09:08:23 PM
ari6126,

The technology available keeps upgrading, such things will come. But I agree it is worthwhile to at least get one now and toy with it to learn the ins and outs, upgrade when you can. For the price L2R's are going for, and even the drop-ins, it's a inexpensive endeavor and worthwhile just to try.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 10:19:53 PM
Like 2xtap mentiones Lighthound is a good place to start.  The L2 Host has a recommended
bulb below that they recommend for that system.  Not the only one, but "one" that will
work well in it.
The P60 is an incandescent surefire bulb, I'm assuming you'd like to run LED?

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 03:53:05 AM
The P60 is an incandescent surefire bulb, I'm assuming you'd like to run LED?

That's correct.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 04:24:16 AM
LED is the way forward for you I think :)

I'm running a few P60 based lights, the most fun one being a Solarforce L2P (The groovy black HAIII one), a custom triple XP-G R5 3-stage drop-in with an output of something like 700lm. Very floody too so it's great for walking the dog at night :D
It's got a purty blue tritium lanyard too.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 05:57:25 AM

I'm running a few P60 based lights, the most fun one being a Solarforce L2P (The groovy black HAIII one), a custom triple XP-G R5 3-stage drop-in with an output of something like 700lm. Very floody too so it's great for walking the dog at night :D

pics!  :pok:
- Terry

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:29 AM

pics!  :pok:

Yeah, I know! Having big sinus lergy so life is a bit on hold.... I'll try and do something about it soon :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:52:36 PM by NutSAK »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25