Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Roman Multitool

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Roman Multitool
Reply #60 on: October 25, 2007, 07:04:31 PM
Know any good granite multi tools?  :D

Def

No, but I have found some great granite hammerstones.  I guess that they have multiple purposes.  One of the most common of the uses other than hammering was "squaw hushing."  In case you dont know what this activity is please feel free to ask. :)     

Ok someone has to ask.  Squaw hushing?
Mr Bison has hit the nail on the head so to speak :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #61 on: October 25, 2007, 11:38:08 PM
Know any good granite multi tools?  :D

Def

No, but I have found some great granite hammerstones.  I guess that they have multiple purposes.  One of the most common of the uses other than hammering was "squaw hushing."  In case you dont know what this activity is please feel free to ask. :)     

Ok someone has to ask.  Squaw hushing?
                           Old  Native American way of dealing with a hostile,vocal SWMBO.and inspiration for this smiley :twak:....... :D

:D  Thanks for that.  I am just showing my age.
I'm back!!

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #62 on: October 26, 2007, 10:16:10 PM
Squaw hushing was not only an activity but a fine art.  One must select the correct sized husher so that the squaw is hushed but not sent to the happy hunting ground. :)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #63 on: October 26, 2007, 10:24:07 PM
Squaw hushing was not only an activity but a fine art.  One must select the correct sized husher so that the squaw is hushed but not sent to the happy hunting ground. :)
Good one mate :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #64 on: November 23, 2007, 02:01:48 PM
 Bumping this back to the top for the reading pleasure of new members,some intersting things in here.
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #65 on: November 23, 2007, 03:18:11 PM
Are you referring to the Roman Multitool or the Squaw Hushing. :)  About the tool, I have talked with some of my friends from my archaeology days and I have searched some sources and I have not been able to uncover any more cool information on the Roman Multitool.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: November 23, 2007, 03:49:53 PM
 I suppose Squaw Hushing is a matter of personal preference,and if Mrs. Bison ever reads this,she'll undoubtedly do an article on husband hushing.Bob had ordered a replica from a maker,and I felt that while he's awaiting delivery,I figured bringing the topic up again would refrsh memories and encourage some more discussion,because I'm excited and curious to know more about the thing.
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #67 on: November 23, 2007, 03:52:01 PM
The husband hushing tool is very similar only it also incorporates a cigar cutter.   :o

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: November 23, 2007, 04:28:28 PM
The husband hushing tool is very similar only it also incorporates a cigar cutter.   :o

Def
The very thought brings on spasms of agony :cry:
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #69 on: November 23, 2007, 06:58:54 PM
Since this topic has been revisited I guess that I will share my thoughts on the tool.  These "theories" are not based upon fact since I have not found much information on the tool but I do know a bit of Roman history. 

The tool was dated to about 100-300 yrs AD thereabout.  This was a time where the Romans occupied a lot of territory.  Because of the vastness of the empire, travel, trade, and military presence was vast as well.  I believe that the tool probally had its origin somewhere between Greece and the Holy land.  Its decoration is somewhat consistent with metalwork found in that area of the world.  I could not find out where exactly the tool was found but it would not be uncommon to have a piece of equipment made in or around the holy land make its way by trade or travel to the far reaches of the empire.  It would be possible with extensive testing to find the origin of the tool or at least some of its parts from analysis of the steel and other materials used in the tools construction.  Some varieies of steel were only produced in certain regions due to various factors such as availability of raw materials good and poor, and forging/casting methods developed and utilized in a specific region.  For Example, cities such as Damascus in Syria were known for their metalworking industry.  Obviously, the tool was an implement that was used for eating but the presence of other tools leads to the very real possibility (almost definate) that the tool was used for a variety of tasks that a traveler or soldier would encounter on a daily basis that would require the use of a smaller utility blade and other tools present.               

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #70 on: November 24, 2007, 12:19:48 AM
very interesting, thx for sharing.
I wonder what they called it; "the Roman Charge" or "XX-Tool!"

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #71 on: November 24, 2007, 03:23:51 AM
If it was a travelers tool it was the "carry this because it is smaller so yo dont burn you hands eating tool." :)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: November 24, 2007, 05:10:11 AM
 I'm more inclined to believe it was a traveller's tool.Legionaires were a bit more rough and ready,and grunts then,like now,were conscious of the load they carried,and pared down to the essentials,at least as far as centurions would allow.
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #73 on: November 24, 2007, 03:34:14 PM
I can definately agree with that.  However, that is one question that can never be answered with any degree of accuracy because of the infinate possibilities. 

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: November 24, 2007, 04:12:32 PM
 Now I'm wondering what the Romans called the tool. My Latin is abominable,and was only passable back in my school days.A search through the original texts might find reference to something that other scholars either misidentified,or skipped over because they didn't know about multi-tools .That would produce a thesis or dissertation that's really unique.
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #75 on: November 24, 2007, 06:25:54 PM
No doubt that someone could do an entire thesis or dissertation on that one tool alone.  Having looked over the pictures again in the past day or so I have noticed what may be an "ear scoop."  It is just an idea of course but in the original link going to the picture on page one the blade that is in the bottom center between the teardrop scraper thingy and the longer awl looking thing looks very simillar to an "ear scooper."  Archaeologists at one of the colonial sites (Jamestown or Plymouth I cannot remember which) uncovered an ear scoop that the tip looked very similar to what is found on the Roman Multitool.  It looks kind of rounded and curved but I could be wrong and after all I am just taking that from observation of pictures.   

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: November 24, 2007, 06:59:44 PM
 An ear scoop was my initial impression as well.I remember seeing photos of one crafted in solid gold recovered by salvors/treasure hunters from a wrecked Spanish galleon(pre-Atocha).

I just want to add,when Bob gets his copy he doesn't take that particular function out for a test drive.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:04:16 PM by Bison56 »
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: November 25, 2007, 02:25:25 AM
Ear scooper?! I thought it was a nose scooper! Oops... :oops:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #78 on: November 25, 2007, 02:35:47 AM
I wonder which tools was used for "Hurl" induction!

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: November 25, 2007, 02:40:03 AM
I wonder how expensive it was. :think:
[

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #80 on: November 25, 2007, 02:46:47 AM
It had to be only for the "elite!" it was state of the art, probably only a few of the richest had it would be my guess. or maybe it was just a fad and nobody wanted one! if they only knew several centuries later...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: November 25, 2007, 03:27:00 AM
It had to be only for the "elite!".......

Just like multitools are today.....  :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #82 on: November 25, 2007, 04:56:09 AM
It could have been a tool for the elite traveler.  However, there are some technologies that never quite caught on.  A person skilled in metal work may have made the tool for his own use or at the request of a customer.  It may have never caught on or maybe it did and this may be one of the only surviving tools of its kind.  Usually in archaeology a tool that was widely used shows up in more places than one.  If a tool works it usually catches on and spreads throughout the region.  If they are not common to archaeological sites in any state broken, whole, or otherwise it probally was not widely used. 

There was obviously very little mass production at this time so some designs for tools that worked well were made by several different makers each having their own distinct features.  As for the tool being for an elite member of society I would have to say that if the steel of the blade is good it was probally made by a smith that charged a heafty price for his work and would not be practical for the average citizen to have.  In the middle ages a knights sword was a substantial amount of money (sometimes worth the price of his service for many years).  An even more semi-modern example of how valuable certain tools were was the Colt revolver of the American Cowboy.  A SAA sometimes cost the equilivent of a cowboys wages for 6 months or more.  Finely crafted tools throughout history have never been cheap but even some poor people had them.     

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: November 25, 2007, 05:02:29 AM
The Colt Peacemaker sold for 17 USD, a substantial ammount of money at the time in America.
[

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #84 on: November 25, 2007, 05:14:35 AM
vicies sestertium! (20 x 100,000 sesterces), and my best goat!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: November 25, 2007, 05:35:29 AM
 Considering the Roman elite gave us such fine things as vomitoriums,and culinary delights of Apicius,not much would surprise me......try reading about Trimalchio's feast in Petronius' Satyricon and not get queasy
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #86 on: November 25, 2007, 03:29:54 PM
I believe that another one of the preferred dishes of the time was ostrich eyes.  People think of the dietary habits of the Romans and associate them with Itallian food.  Other than the use of olives and olive oil that could not be farther from the truth. :)  The Romans ate some really disgusting stuff and in very large amounts.   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: November 25, 2007, 03:40:53 PM
Yum?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #88 on: November 25, 2007, 03:47:41 PM
I do wonder what they taste like though.  I have eaten ostrich just not the eyes.  From a textural standpoint it may be nasty but I imagine that it doesent taste that bad.  Ostrich is kind of dry because it is very lean.  Which by the way speaking of ostrich, the Romans had special broadheads that would decapitate an ostrich when hit squarely on the neck.  Such an arrow point was favored by emperor Caligula I believe, for hunting ostrich.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: November 25, 2007, 03:50:20 PM
He must have had some seriously good aim to nail one's neck just right.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%