Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not what I expected- New Leatherman Tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Not what I expected- New Leatherman Tools
on: January 19, 2011, 04:28:24 AM
I'm trying to get as much going as possible here, so I'm a bit sparse on the pics.  I'll keep uploading more, but here's a few to get you started.

First off, these new tools, the Sidekick and Wingman are not what many of you expected, judging by the speculation I saw in the other thread.  These are Leatherman's attempt to enter the ultra low price market.  In fact....

The MSRP on one is $29.99 and the other is $39.99.  The Sidekick is to be the more expensive one, although for all intents and purposes both these tools are pretty well the same.  The Sidekick has a wood saw, while the Wingman has scissors.  The Wingman also has a clamshell opener, while the Sidekick has a serrated blade.

The fancy leather pouch and carabiner come with the Sidekick, while the Wingman is sold as is.

These tools encompass a number of firsts for Leatherman- they have sprung pliers, they have a lower fit and finish and a super low price point as a result.  The body also has an interesting cutout that allows the tools to be pushed out for use, which is kind of neat.

All in all they aren't bad at all, especially considering the price point.  They aren't that exciting, but then they aren't meant to be.  They will also be replacing the Fuse and Kick models, so if you want one of those, get 'em while they're hot!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Not what I expected- New Leatherman Tools
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:31:41 AM
What's the status on the Knifeless Fuse, then, Grant?  Also, I still can't tell:  is the Phillips 2D or 3D?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:33:54 AM
3D Phillips, and no idea about the knifeless Fuse.  If the standard Fuse is discontinued I would imagine it would go too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:36:33 AM
What's with the CE main blade and the separate serrated blade?

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:40:33 AM
3D Phillips is good.  Any pics of the clips on these?
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:41:34 AM
What's with the CE main blade and the separate serrated blade?

My guess is they got a new serration cutting machine and wanted to get their money's worth.

3D Phillips is good.  Any pics of the clips on these?

Coming....

Def

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:44:36 AM
These pics make the tool look much better than the stock photos. At the price I'll probably pick one up.... I'm liking that carabiner, looks good.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:45:37 AM
Well.....perhaps not as bad as I feared....still don't like pinch cutters.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:46:53 AM
is the tool outsourced to china or is it assembled in the USA, I will buy both.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 04:48:25 AM
is the tool outsourced to china or is it assembled in the USA, I will buy both.

As per the FB snippet, they're made in the US, like the other Leatherman multis.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 04:48:58 AM
I have a great mod idea. Regrind the main blade PE and replace the package opener with the serrated blade. That would get rid of a lot of the redundancy.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:52:14 AM
Well, I guess they seem like a logical progression for LM, and should make some folks quite happy. That said, I'm disappointed about the Kick disappearing. With it's shorter blade and no locks, it was a good option for non knife friendly settings. It was also a tough, bare bones design with good pliers- I'm not too sure about these new ones, especially those cutters. I'm very happy to hear about the 3d pliers though.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:08:44 AM
This one show the cutout in the handle that allows you to push the tools out the opposite side.  It also shows the 3D phillips.

Here I am actually using to to push the tools out.

This is the pouch and carabiner that comes with the Sidekick.  The carabiner was really neat and I asked them if they would sell it separately.  They gave a very noncommittal answer... :D

And this pic shows the clip side, and the size compared to the Blast.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 05:09:32 AM
Not what I was expecting. At least they won't cost a lot to add to the collection.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:19:43 AM
I admit, I'm interested in the Wingman.  File looks kinda short, but OHO, locking blades at that MSRP?  Not bad.  Also, an option of getting the carabiner tool and pouch separately would be good - my Kf4 would look mighty fine in that.

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 05:23:53 AM
They've grown on me quite abit since the stock photos. I'm interested in both, not sure which one I'd rather get. I hope they do sell the biner and case separately.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:07 AM
to me they just look like baby Waves.

I like them, at that price and american made thats awesome.

The only questions are.

When are they due on the market?
Do the layer tools lock?
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

pl Offline Fistach

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:07 AM
With price 29 $USD (in poland around 50 for our stupid uber high taxes - that's why I'm buying them in US:)) I'll purchase one for my GF:)

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 08:16:06 AM
These are the Fall models coming out in September of 2011.

Quote from: Leatherman
NEW PRODUCTS ::
As promised to all our loyal fans here. You have the very first look at the new tools for Leatherman in 2011. Coming this September to a store near you the Leatherman Sidekick and Wingman. The best part – they are all Leatherman, 25-year warranty, outside accessible blades and features and only $29.99 & $39.99 MSRP Pictures below…More on the discussion tab. Sahweet!!! Photos have been loaded.

I'd like to get the carabiner with the Wingman. But I wonder why the small blade on the Sidekick? The tool already has a partially serrated blade, adding another smaller serrated blade (looks like the one on the Vista) seems redundant. Leatherman could of done better by making this tool a utility blade and awl in one tool. :shrug:

Sidekick

Wingman
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:20:05 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 08:27:12 AM
BO version would be nice, do you think that might be available some day?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 08:46:20 AM
BO version would be nice, do you think that might be available some day?

It is riveted - Duracoat project!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 08:48:36 AM
Grant do these two new tools have locking Blades ? If they do lock and they are replacing the non locking Kick I think that is a bad move .

Dunc

pl Offline Fistach

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 09:57:37 AM
Grant do these two new tools have locking Blades ? If they do lock and they are replacing the non locking Kick I think that is a bad move .

Dunc
Yes they have take a look at the image I've made:

Look at the shape that is almost the same as the locking mechanism of Wave.

In the bottom see the release buttons.

gb Offline craigy

Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 10:19:06 AM
bad call there leatherman.making now all there range bar the juice and keychain stuff locking will put the uk market for leatherman down the pan.
A

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 10:32:20 AM
These days non-locking blades would be pretty hard to sell in countries where those are not illegal. Would it be ok by the laws if you just disable those locks?

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 10:43:22 AM
In the UK disabling the locks would get around the legal side of things but by the looks of it they have no backspring so the blade would just fold.

So they're no good for EDC in the UK.  They are also OHO so that rules out Denmark and the fact that they are OHO+locking means they're no good for Germany.  I'm sure I've missed someone but the point is it looks like LM really don't see the need to appeal to the European market :(
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 10:59:30 AM
Sounds sad... :( Our local laws are not that clear, in theory its illegal to carry anything that has a sharp edge but in real life it's almost impossible to get into troubles with law if you just don't hurt anyone with your blade. Police will of course take your knife if they see you having one, but probably there won't be any consequences - u may even get your knife back from police station if you were not causing troubles.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 11:07:04 AM
Thanks Grant, cool pictures.
Is it just me or do they look like a model of multitool from Gerber, forgot the name.
Looks like for light use only.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:55 AM
Sounds sad... :( Our local laws are not that clear, in theory its illegal to carry anything that has a sharp edge but in real life it's almost impossible to get into troubles with law if you just don't hurt anyone with your blade. Police will of course take your knife if they see you having one, but probably there won't be any consequences - u may even get your knife back from police station if you were not causing troubles.

Here in Portugal legislation for white weapons is a bit loose. They've got just a few points on that:
- blades shorter than 10cm are not considered weapons, except:
- butterflies, throwing knives, starts, automatic (spring assisted) folders, regardless of length.

They do not mention anything regarding locking or one hand opening. But I know police uses to confiscate -- illegally -- lockable folders even if shorter than 10cm. YOu'll have to go to court to reclaim it back and that takes too long and is too expensive. And even after a favourable decision your chances of getting the stuff back are diminute, because it may have been "lost" meanwhile  :-X

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 12:32:38 PM
here in australia the laws vary from state to state.

In a nutshell in NSW (as is my understanding) carrying blades have to have a 'legal purpose' so carrying one for the sake of it is a no no. Still as a tradesman i have a purpose :P

In practice though you can carry a sak or a multitool and unless you a silly enough to draw attention to yourself its never a problem. Cops don't really comb the streets stopping people in search of blades. Most cops also excersise a degree of discretion anyway.

I am happy that they are locking tools, i'm certain despite all the forum ettiquete that several of our UK brethrens EDC Blasts, Waves, Powerlocks everyday. They just keep their noses clean and stay smart about how they go about doing it.

I can't wait to get a sidekick
(also now i may hold off on buying a BLAST for my mother to replace the KICK i won on this forum.... between now and september they may have another price drop)
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD