Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coghlan's Emergency Preparedness Kit.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Coghlan's Emergency Preparedness Kit.
on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:50 PM
Is it me, or have you seen an increase in emergency preparedness kits in stores lately. One would think people might believe the end of the world is around the corner in 2012, or something. :)

I came across another kit, and the price was right, so I bought it out of curiosity. This one is the Coghlan's Emergency Preparedness Kit. The kit comes in a medium sized plastic Tupper Wear style container with a locking plastic lid. It isn't water proof, but should be water resistant to rain, etc.

From the following photo, you can see a nice assortment of Coghlan's emergency items. Some of the items are rather bulky, necessitating the need for a good sized plastic carrier. There is plenty of room for other items, so that you can flesh the kit out nicely. Of course, nothing stopping you from removing a few items and making even more room to personalize the kit to meet your needs.

I am going to start off with what I didn't like. There is this big head style lamp that takes 4 AA batteries. I have seen a lot more elegant solutions that occupy half or less of the space that this behemoth takes.  Apparently, this set can also operate on 2 AA batteries in an emergency. The second hit is the light bulb. it is an old style filament type that throws poor yellow light with not many lumens behind it...and that is with 4 AA batteries. I haven't tested it with only 2, but I can just imagine the poor light this unit would give off.  Yes, better than nothing, but this is a piece I will switch out for something more compact with an LED that won't eat batteries, and throws some nice light.

The kit comes with 2-12 hour green snap lights.

Included are 4 largish candles. They are big and take up a lot of room...but candles are always handy no matter the situation.

But, also included are 2-36 hour survival candles. These come in a nice metal tin and have 3 wicks each. Ok, I am thinking sure, these are handy as well, even if a little redundant.

Standard fare for these types of oh crap kits, a pair of plastic rain ponchos, and very large solar blankets.

The kit also contains 4 hand warmers.

Included, a nice compact first aid kit and some water purification tablets.

Last but not least, a pair of camp heat or cooking containers.

Well that is Coghlan's version of an emergency preparedness kit. As you can imagine, there is plenty missing. Luckily enough, there is a bit of room to fix the omissions.  I was surprised that no way of producing a flame was included. No matches, lighters, or anything. I also found this nice and cheap survival jet lighter to round out the kit.

There is room in there for many other things, including a knife, multi-tool, survival kit, energy bars, etc...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:56:33 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Coghlan's Emergency Preparedness Kit.
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:28:28 PM
I rather like putting together my own kits based on my own needs, rather than buying someone else's idea of what I might need.  As you say; there's some obvious things missing and a few too many candles. :D

Still it's got some things I know I'd find useful for a car kit so it's not all bad. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:47:11 PM
Very nice, thanks for sharing  :tu:

All this 2012 and rapture business may be a bit far fetched but if it helps put people in the 'prepping mindset' it helps everyone  :D

Especially given last years brutal winter  :o In N. Ireland several thousand homes were without mains water for seven day plus, some even went without for weeks  :ahhh
Fortunately I wasn't affected but I'll be stocking up some water just in case.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:20:12 AM
Great review Chako.  Just brings to light the fact that being truly prepared will cost you more than a $25 kit and a prayer.  My BOB is sadly lacking in what I think I will need, and it is easily ten times the utility that kit has.  I still need to procure a stove and some cookware, and I definitely need a pack of candles.  As it sits though I have at least two means of making fire and more snap stick lights than you can shake a stick at.  I have a hatchet and hunting knife, plus a small FAK containing basics and a sawyer sucker(quite necessary in the states).  All my stuff is in a hiking backpack in my Truck so it is ready to go when I am.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:03:27 AM
Hand warmers????  :rofl:

Fnny that matches are missing... maybe it was just your box??
One thing i frequently do is keep two spare working 12v cigarrette lighters in the car... Something you dont wont to fail as a non-smoker when you need it. (sounds exreme but they do die and my spares are all free from 2nd hand wrecker yards)

Out of curiosity... what was the price of the kit? If you where to dump all the stuff you didnt like (like the 36hr candles and headlamp) would you be able to by all the same brand components and put it together for the same price?
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:09:52 PM
Hand warmers are a great idea, especially in the North.

As for the price, it was around 25 dollars. You couldn't buy it all for that as with everything else. A combined kit is always cheaper than each piece separately purchased.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:04:58 PM
Thats cool chako and given me more ideas for my kit,  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69