Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT M16-14ZER

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
CRKT M16-14ZER
on: January 21, 2011, 05:17:54 AM
Anyone not familiar with the M16 series knives from CRKT must have been under a rock!  Here's the latest version, the orange handled ER version with integral strap cutter.

This is a big, sweet knife...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline Thehunt

Re: CRKT M16-14ZER
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:33:11 PM
...and integrated glassbreaker it seems (judging by the pics)...

Looks nice!
M

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:40:42 PM
Anyone else seeing the strap cutter -- being on the same side as the pocket clip and exposed when closed -- catching on some poor guy's pocket and ripping it apart? :-\ BTW what's that little red button by the strap cutter in pic #2?

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:54:50 PM
The red button is part of CRKT's autolawks system.  It's a lever that you pull back on to release a pin that holds the liner lock in place.  This supplies an extra safety feature to the liner lock.  It's a bit tricky when I first tried it out, but after a little bit, I was back to closing my knife one handed again.

Martin
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 09:05:30 PM
I hate that autolawks system... you know, just for the record....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30:10 PM
Its looks nice , but I don't understand the strap cutter bit  :think: does it fold away or is it stuck out like all the time . And it is a bit too near the main blade for my liking . Not very good for a casualty . The new Benchmade 915 Triage looks like it has got it right .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:32:30 PM
Although I suppose the idea is too use the cutter with the blade in the closed position . I still don't like the way it sticks out though

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:44:40 PM
The cutter is indeed meant for use with the blade closed.  It's just a notch cut in the flipper that is found on most of the M16 series now.

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 11:56:05 PM
Oh I see now , have they made the flipper bigger or does the notch just draw attention to it . I had a bit of a knee jerk reaction at first but its quite clever isnt it ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 12:07:02 AM
It's a different shape, but I don't think it's actually any bigger.  Many of them have big flippers that act as guards.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 12:16:22 AM
You can see the difference in these shots of the new left handed M16.

It's more flattened, but I think it's the same amount of steel, more or less.  Note it doesn't have the flipper/guard on the back of the blade too.

Def

Offline obihann

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:13:23 PM
I've used the M21-14SF for a while now for my default lock blade for hiking/camping and just love it. I've been wanting to grab a M16 for a while, seeing this I am in love! It really is a gorgeous knife, and might have to become my standard lock blade for SAR :)

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 07:45:13 PM
I've used the M21-14SF for a while now for my default lock blade for hiking/camping and just love it. I've been wanting to grab a M16 for a while, seeing this I am in love! It really is a gorgeous knife, and might have to become my standard lock blade for SAR :)

If you can, wait a couple of months until the new versions of the M16 come in to circulation.  A couple of years back CRKT downgraded all the of steels in the line - the AUS-10 police and military versions became AUS-8 or AUS-4 (depending on what version you got), and the AUS-8 civilian versions became AUS-4.
CRKT is now re-doing a lot of the line in 8Cr15MoV, which is better than the AUS-4.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%