Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice picking a full size multi

us Offline lovenhim

Advice picking a full size multi
on: January 23, 2011, 04:56:41 AM
Hello everyone.  I am in the market for a full size EDC multi tool.  I would have it on my belt everyday, well switch it up with what I am using now.  Its main uses would be for everyday basic tasks, automotive work, and farm use.  I am looking for advice and I know that there are good multis from several brands, so what have you tried?  What do you like or dislike about a certain multi?  I am thinking about Leatherman, Sog, and Victorinox.  I do not like the pliers on a Gerber, but am open to them.  Thanks for the help.
When In doubt, C4

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Re: Advice picking a full size multi
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:19:18 AM
I like the Powerlock and you have one, so ether ya go.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:22:47 AM
I do have a Powerlock.  If I use that one and do not buy anything new then I just need to buy the tools that I want for it and remove the ones I do not use.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

us Offline EZ822

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:02:41 AM
ST300 would be a good choice. It has replaceable wire cutters and long shanks on the screwdrivers. It's also built to take a beating.
Erick

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:29:14 AM
ST300 would be a good choice. It has replaceable wire cutters and long shanks on the screwdrivers. It's also built to take a beating.

i second the st300 , great tool , and for me only second to my wave for general EDC, i always carry a vic classic so no need for scissors on a MT, i also prefer the drivers on the st300 as really long so fit in slots, and a huge awl  :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:06:08 PM
In my experience, the Charge is a better sized farm tool.  Surge (and I assume ST300) are bigger.  That difference in size makes them more difficult to use in tight spaces.

With the Charge ALX, I have 2 on board bits (Standard/Phillips and 2 sizes of Allen head common on my equipment), meaning less running back to the shop.

The saw and file are used more than one would otherwise expect.

The Powerlock was a hassle with the piano lids and I found the handle tools a little on the bendy side.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 04:37:16 PM
I own a Wave with bit kit and extension, would it stand up to possible hard use (for a multi tool)?  I realize that dedicated tools will always be better for a job.  I broke a bit once on my Wave which was my fault as I was doing something with it that the tool was not built to do....prying.  I now carry a Pocketwrench 2 with my Wave.  What I do not like about the Powerlock is that it will not extend itself and lay flat.  You know how you can open a bit on the Wave and lay the pliers flat and gain reach by laying the entire tool straight out.....the Powerlock can not do that thus not much reach.
When In doubt, C4

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:00:53 PM
As you've already got a good Leatherman and SOG's then you've really got to get yourself a Vic Spirit (any variety).  One of the top 'all round' tools IMO.

I know what you mean about having the two halves extended out flat to use the screwdrivers, I do this a lot as it often makes it easier to work in confined spaces.  In fact I'm just thinking that it must be the only way to use the drivers on the Skeletool.  Now I do rather like my Gerber PM600 but the fact it can't do this (nor any other sliding head Gerber I'd guess) is a real shame.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline stack

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:21:55 PM
I would say though retired, the core is a great choice as it has the same tools as the st300 except the replacable wire cutters and it is lighter weight. Also the st200 though retired is also a good choice, The ruler on the handle is very handy.  :)

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:25:30 PM
IF Weight is not an issue, I'd opt for a Swisstool or ST300.

but in regards to automotive and farm work, dedicated tools are best for the job, with  MT serving to assist in a support role to those dedicated tools.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:51 AM
Thank you everyone for your help.  I just won a LM Core with leather sheath for $24 from Ebay.  :)
When In doubt, C4

us Offline EZ822

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 06:22:15 AM
Thank you everyone for your help.  I just won a LM Core with leather sheath for $24 from Ebay.  :)
Congrats!!! :cheers: The Core is a beast. It's my favorite MT. :tu:
Erick

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13:38 PM
That's a great price for a good tool!
My brother has a core and it hasn't failed him yet :tu:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

it Offline robibotti

• mad about leatherman and stuff like that😁
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 01:37:36 PM
you'll like it!!!......... it's alway on my backpack ready to work!!!

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 04:49:16 PM
I edc the core occasionally for the great drivers. I am not sure the pliers are any stronger. I know in theory they should be but I used it and a charge to cut pocket clips and the core took a lot more damage than the charge. Now the core pliers bend apart when I cut stuff but the charge pliers are fine. They have the slightest play after this but it doesn't affect functionality.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%