Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman repair outside guarantee

Jors · 16 · 2493

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Leatherman repair outside guarantee
on: January 22, 2011, 04:07:36 PM
1. If I modify my Leatherman, let's say my changing the shape of the big flat screw driver, I forfeit my guarantee. If something else should break thereafter, will Leatherman repair it for me against payment?

2. If I should buy a Leatherman tool that is older than 25 years, will Leatherman repair something against payment?
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Re: Leatherman repair outside guarantee
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:29 PM
I think Leatherman won't make a fuss if the tool is over 25 years old, and they will probably replace it with a modern equivalent.
But if you modify one, then that's another story.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

Offline wvucyclist

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:08:56 PM
If it is over 25 years, would you really want to send it in? or keep it for sentimental/historical reasons?  I assumed I gave up any warranty when I did my 3/4 wave (now eerily similar to the Sidekick); for my purposes I only have about $25 in it anyways.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:21:53 PM
1. I would say if you modify your Leatherman or any product you're on your own with regards to any warranty or guarantee. That's pretty much basic. I'm not even sure if they would repair at your expense either.

2. If you have a Leatherman over 25 years old I'd love to see it  :tu: Additionally as above would you want to send it in? I'd ask first to see what they could do. If it is repairable I'm sure they'd work with you  :tu:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:43:17 PM
Why don't you email Leatherman and see what they say . Would be good to have the answer .

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:29:49 PM
Dunc,
I have done it. Waiting for their answer.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:10:09 PM
I would guess they would not make a fuss about the 25 years, not a whole lot of leathermans are over 25

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:21:27 PM
A while back I heard leatherman were repairing/replacing non date PSTs , I'msure someone posted on here about it .

us Offline stack

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 01:41:34 AM
I just sent in two no date psts around a month ago. One of them needed cleaned up some and the other had a broken file. The fine folks at leatherman replaced the file and on the other tool they put a new edge on the main blade and buffed it up some. No questions asked.  :tu:

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:53:37 AM
I just sent in two no date psts around a month ago. One of them needed cleaned up some and the other had a broken file. The fine folks at leatherman replaced the file and on the other tool they put a new edge on the main blade and buffed it up some. No questions asked.  :tu:

thats awesome.
they were prob. just happy to see an older tool sent in.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 12:56:32 AM

thats awesome.
they were prob. just happy to see an older tool sent in.
I've only heard stories but apparently their repairs and guarantees are better than pretty much any other company out there.

us Offline Kender

• Man of many tools.
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 01:23:23 AM
I bought a used Minitool with a broken file and knife. I asked Leatherman if they would replace the tools at my expense, and their response was that it is still under warranty, even though I'm not the one who broke it, and have no way of knowing if the person who broke it violated the warranty. I will be running it up to the factory as soon as I can.
Treat your tools like a friend--keep 'em by you.  Never let 'em down, and they're always at your side.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 10:35:36 AM

That is outstanding service! Back then LM was more friendlier back then. Now days I'm not sure.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 01:46:29 PM
A six year old dig quoting someone who hasn't logged in for three years just to whine on LM.   :clap:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 09:39:54 PM
 :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 10:17:07 PM
I wish we knew how Jors situation played out. 

To my knowledge LM has a no questions asked policy to this day.  We know full well some people buy damaged tools with the full intent on sending them in for replacements. 

I'd argue LM warranty is one of the best. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD