Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What fire starter would you choose,

Poll

If selecting one of the following for fire starting would you choose:

Ferrocerium Fire Striker
6 (50%)
Magnesium Block
0 (0%)
Fire Piston
2 (16.7%)
Nato Waterproof Matches
0 (0%)
Butane Lighter
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 22, 2011, 09:47:57 PM

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
What fire starter would you choose,
on: January 22, 2011, 08:47:57 PM
Amici,
If you had to choose one of the following fire starters listed above, what would you choose and why?

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: What fire starter would you choose,
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:36:15 PM
Ferrocium rod! Tried 'em, used 'em, trust 'em. LMF Scout and Exotac Nanostriker

Here's why I didn't choose the others:

Mag Block.

I used to have a Doan Bar type, and though I had no problem with the flint, I had great issues about getting mag shaving in a controlled fashion. They would ping off in all directions resulting in the block getting smaller, and my face getting redder - but no nearer getting a tinder supply built. I have heard the trick of using duct tape to catch the shavings - but didn't have huge success with that either. Magnesium does burn very hot - but very quick, so you still need to have other tinders anyway for the magnesium to light. That said I do still carry a mini-match too (mini-version)

Fire Piston.
Good for getting a coal with the right tinder - but only if you can manage to maintain a seal on the piston. A stray piece of grit or other damage can render your pistion useless. A fun item, I have no doubt (though never tried one) but you should always have a back up for this. Novelty use only in my opinion

Waterproof Matches
I've got some in a survival tin (along with a flint/striker as back up). Matches are great because they give you a flame rather than just a spark or coal - but they only last so long. Fine as part of a system, but not a recommended stand alone solution in my opinion. Save them for the tough to start tinders that keep shrugging off the spark from your striker

Butane Lighter
As a smoker this is my (several times) daily "go to" ignition device. I cannot ever remember trying to get a smoke using a flint & steel, steel wool on a 9V battery or friction firelighting (I have used solar/lens though). Great little items - cheap last a good time and are usually reliable. I've had plenty of occasions though where gas has run out, valve has failed, flint has pinged out, piezo has failed, I've dropped it and it's gone Phuttt (cracked head off) etc etc etc. Again fine as part of a system

The only one of these that I would be happy carrying on their own would be ferro rod. It works, lasts for ages, works in wet conditions (providing tinder is OK) you could even try signalling with the sparks at night. I'd never stop anyone using any other methods, but would always recommend they had a ferro rod too.

YMMV

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:38:28 PM
Firesteel. The one I use is the UST Strikeforce. Big, easy to hold, with a tinder compartment containing wetfire. Operates when wet and pretty foolproof.

That said, in a real emergency, I would use my waterproof matches first.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:25:13 AM
This is a slightly unfair question as I kinda suggests I'd only have one fire starter on me. ;)  My normal set up is to have a lighter and a ferro rod.  I've voted for the lighter as that's my 'go to' source of ignition but I'm quite happy with a ferro rod as well. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%