Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool - help - integrate a folding saw mod?

Offline CoolHandRacing

• New User
Skeletool - help - integrate a folding saw mod?
on: January 23, 2011, 05:03:22 AM
Hi Fellas,

Im a newbie here from Western Australia.... I can't believe some of the amazing mods on this forum. Its a credit to you all.

I need a bit of help/guidance on this one simple problem. Is it possible to add a folding saw to a skeletool? I have seen the skelesurge/skurge idea but I like the idea of a folding saw. I am a third generation farmer and sometimes need to trim a small tree branch here and there.

Would it be possible to order a saw from another Leatherman model and integrate it in to the skeletool whilst retaining the other tools? Maybe we could get rid of the bit holder for room? I know I could purchase another LM model but I love the skeletool and modding is all part of the passion!

Thanks in advance. Luke

us Offline CENTURION

Re: Skeletool - help - integrate a folding saw mod?
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:01 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Sadly, Leatherman doesn't sell their tool components individually  :(
You could ask around in the forums here and see if someone has an extra LM saw lying around, But I'd say your best bet is probably to buy a SOG saw (which have quite a bit of modding potential, and can be bought individually).

The big problem though is getting it on the tool, I suppose you could put it where some people put a scissors on the non-knife handle, but it won't have a locking mechanism. That is unless you also make and install a liner lock or something  ;)

I don't own a Skeletool though, so maybe someone more experienced with them could point out a better way to install it that I don't know about.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:54:33 AM
G'day & welcome mate  :D :D.

Yep like Centurion said LM does not sell parts sadly, you might be able to pick up some parts here on the forum or I could give you a Aussie Ebay seller that might be able too help you out  :think: :think:. Let us know if you want the details mate  :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline CoolHandRacing

• New User
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:50:43 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Multimat - could you please message me the details of the ebay seller you know of. Would be much appreciated.

I like the idea of adding the saw blade in the non blade handle. Exactly in the same spot as where EVIL placed his scissors. I wonder if I would be able to retain the bit slot like he did?

I don't know how to make a locking mechanism though (liner lock) for the new saw blade? Does anyone have any pictures/ideas of this.

I have found a couple of SOG saw blades on ebay and they have some notches around the hole where the pin/bolt goes through. Is this how the liner lock works? Maybe EVIL could explain this for me or even show me how to add this saw blade.... pretty please!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:04:02 AM
I will send you a PM(personal message)  with the sellers details & maybe he may have a beat up leatherman with a saw you can use.  :think: :think:

I think making a linner lock would be beyond even Evil's awesome skills  :think: :think:.
I think putting a saw in a Skeletool is going to be a big challenge & Evil sure would be the man too talk too but he has not logged into the forum since early November   :( :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:06:26 PM
Hey gang. Sorry for the late reply on this post. If not for the holes in the framework of the Skeletool, a liner lock would actually be feasible, however, to attempt one on the existing frame would jeopardize the strength of an already somewhat flimsy frame. Another alternative... still feasible, more work, but definitely much stronger, would be to install another liner layer to serve this purpose. In between the original scale and the new scale layer for the scissors, if you look close, there is a liner layer separating them. This could be modified to serve as a liner lock. A new layer for a liner lock could also lay up against the original frame as well. Hope this helps.....

~ evil ~
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:13:52 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59