Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I DID IT!!!!!!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
I DID IT!!!!!!!
on: October 19, 2006, 02:18:21 AM
I FINALLY got a Sideclip!!!  YESSSS!!!  I just won it on Ebay today, and am now just waiting for it to be delivered.  Man oh man, I am excited.  I've been wanting this multi for EVER!!  I was always outbid on ebay, but got it this time for $31.00!!  Is that a good price for a discontinued tool?  Def, I read your review and you were talking about how well it was put together.  Since it is an older generation leatherman, does it still suffer from all those same flaws the original did?  I read somewhere that it's not so bad as far as cutting into your hand, but is it indeed better made then the original?  I've been wanting to EDC this thing for a long time, and am now a delivery away from getting it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: I DID IT!!!!!!!
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:19:56 AM
Congratulations!

You are going to love it when you get it, and if for some odd reason you don't, I am certain someone here would be happy to dispose of it for you!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 03:07:42 AM
(Boy, that guy is going to be waiting out by his mailbox for the next WEEK!)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 03:29:40 AM
That's a good price.  I have been watching them on e-bay too and some have gone for as much as $90.00 :o
"

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 03:30:17 AM
A week?  It takes a WEEK!?!  NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 02:54:36 AM
Did you get it yet?I'm on the edge of my seat here!
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 03:24:58 AM
No, not yet.  Damn.  I'm friggin pacing all day at work.  I'm like a little kid all day at work.  I'm day dreaming about the day I finally get to hold that tool in my hand!!  Not the best thing to be doing at work, considering what I do for a living.  (Gator wrestler at Gatorland in Fl.)  Gotta have that tool, gotta have that tool, gotta have that tool, gotta have that tool..........

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 03:27:47 AM
Yeah I can imagine that you may want to keep your mind on your work... or at least stick to one handed opening tools!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 04:09:49 AM
 :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 03:33:40 AM
Alright, I got it today.  My Sideclip has arrived, and It's pretty cool.  Being the first "original" leatherman model I own, I now see what ya'll talk about as far as the edges hurting your hand.  However, like Def said once in another post, it's kind've a light tool, so I probably won't use it for anything heavy.  I never really use multitool pliers for any heavy use anyway.  I like the blade.  It's a little small, but totally useable.  I see what that clumping is all about, but I really don't mind it.  Makes it easier access to the other tools.  It's pretty cool.  I like how slim it is, and yes it feels sturdy as all hell.  Hmmmm.  I'll have to EDC it for a while and see how it meets my needs.  Pretty cool little tool, though.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 04:10:17 AM
Congratulations on your new toy Navajero! (Boy, there's just nothing like that extremely short temporary satisfaction you get with the arrival of a new multi tool.)  :)

Now then, as the newest member of the Official SideClip Owner's Club, we'll need to know a few things:

1) Does your SideClip have a bead blast matte finish, or a brushed shiny finish?
2) What are the four date codes stamped on the inside of the handles?
3) And do you like, or dislike, the way Leatherman ground one side of the plier heads down so they can grip objects flush to a surface?

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 05:16:16 AM
Congratulations on your new toy Navajero! (Boy, there's just nothing like that extremely short temporary satisfaction you get with the arrival of a new multi tool.)  :)

Now then, as the newest member of the Official SideClip Owner's Club, we'll need to know a few things:

1) Does your SideClip have a bead blast matte finish, or a brushed shiny finish?
2) What are the four date codes stamped on the inside of the handles?
3) And do you like, or dislike, the way Leatherman ground one side of the plier heads down so they can grip objects flush to a surface?

1)Brushed shiny finish
2)0104, 0404, 0504, 0504 (what do these mean?)
3)Hmmm.  That's interesting.  I hadn't even noticed the one sided goind til you mentioned it.  I don't know if I like it or not.  Guess I'll have to use it first and find out.

Does anyone of you actually STILL carry your Sideclip as an EDC?  I mean, all these new models have come out, I'm wondering if this old boy still has a place, you know?

Offline colubrid

Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 06:59:15 AM
I got mine coming in about a week. It has the bead blast finish, which I think is the original version.

I guess I will let you know if I decided to carry it after I receive it next week..

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 05:11:36 AM
This little tool is HARDCORE!!!  It is not made for big jobs, I know, but it's built so tough.  It's solid as a rock.  This guy may have just found a new permanent spot on my pocket.  Old school leatherman quality.  I guess there's a reason LM was the trend setter.

Offline colubrid

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 07:42:44 PM
It will be a week before I get my sideclip as the seller only took money orders and I have to wait for the snail mail both ways.

Can ya help a fellow out and post pics of yours to hold me over?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 01:12:49 AM
How about these?

Def
SC01.JPG
* SC01.JPG (Filesize: 21.43 KB)
SC02.JPG
* SC02.JPG (Filesize: 24.26 KB)
SC03.JPG
* SC03.JPG (Filesize: 35.57 KB)
SC04.JPG
* SC04.JPG (Filesize: 29.91 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 01:13:43 AM
And these?

Def
SC05.JPG
* SC05.JPG (Filesize: 24.17 KB)
SC06.JPG
* SC06.JPG (Filesize: 46.12 KB)
SC07.JPG
* SC07.JPG (Filesize: 22.84 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 02:12:31 AM
The first one is the original SideClip, with bead blast matte finish. The second picture is of a later SideClip, with a shiny brushed finish.

Other than the surface finish, the main difference is in the plier head. Notice the original is narrower around the pivot, while the later model has a stronger, second generation plier head.

~Bob

(My apologies for the duplicate post)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:14:55 AM by J-sews »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 02:23:05 AM
..............2)0104, 0404, 0504, 0504 (what do these mean?)........

All Leatherman tools after the early 1990's were stamped with a date code inside each handle. (For instance, 1093 means that handle was made in October of 1993, etc) Many tools have two different date codes, one in each handle.

The SideClip handles are split down the center, so each tool has four date codes. All four dates on Def's SideClip are the same. Each of the four dates on my older SideClip are different.

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 02:28:56 AM
So, does this mean that my sideclip's handles were made in January, April, and May of 2004?  My multi is only two years old?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 02:29:42 AM
Looks that way...

Maybe we should have a Leatherman Lottery sometime... if we draw your dates then you win!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 02:37:00 AM
So, does this mean that my sideclip's handles were made in January, April, and May of 2004?  My multi is only two years old?

The SideClip was discontinued at the end of 2004.
http://www.equipped.org/shot_show_2004_knives.htm
(Scroll down to LEATHERMAN)

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 03:08:13 AM
Hmmm.  I guess it's not that old after all.  However, it is the last generation of sideclip.  Cool.

Offline colubrid

Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 05:20:09 PM
Very nice. Thank guys for the pics and interesting history. It appears that sideclip is slimmer than the Kick (?).

I'll post pics of mine when I get it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 09:15:17 PM
It is indeed slimmer than the Kick, and also slimmer than the PST II which is what it is pictured with above.

Def

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 12:09:00 AM
Colubrid, you are going to love this thing!!!  It's not a big tool, like a Blast or Wave or Charge.  It's a small tool, for small jobs.  It's like carrying a Sak soldier or what not, something along this lines, with the added advantage of the pliers.  Again, they can't be used for too big a job either, as the sides bite into your skin a bit, but it's not too bad.  It's a very well constructed tool.  This bad boy has been with me since I got it last week, and I don't plan on letting it go any time soon.  Enjoy, my friend.

Offline colubrid

Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 04:37:46 PM
I wish somebody would have told me that before about it being slimmer than the kick or PST.. I would have jumped on the deal even faster. Now I am real glad i got it and even happier that it did not get sold away from me.. The guy said its being shipped out today from the west coast. So a few more days. :cry:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 08:37:50 PM
You will love this tool when you get it.  It's only a little slimmer, but feels alot smaller.

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 07:03:49 AM
Are there any advantages to the bead blast finish over the brushed finish other than looks?
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: October 29, 2006, 01:14:42 PM
The bead blast tends to repel smaller scratches a little better, but larger scratches leave marks that can't be buffed out like they can in a brushed finish.  LM probably opted for this method since the tool will still look new after being bumped around a bit in shipping.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%